Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

at what speed I do PID tuning?

Hello, at what speed do I do PID tuning? and can I do it at a speed lower than the throttle?
    another question, my quadcopter weight 920 grams , what PID values I should start with? I mean sometimes I see people using small values and increasing it by 0.01 and some increase it by 1 so I got really confused
    any info would be much appreciated
    Last edited by MaryamMagdy; 05-05-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    The first hurdle on PID tuning is figuring out the scales. With standard AQ software, it seems the P and D for rate mode tend to be adjusted in the 2-digit range, while attitude mode are single digit or decimal. If you are tuning by hand before flight, use about 30% throttle, and be very very careful. Propellors are spinning knives of doooom.

This here helped me a lot to get started:
    http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=PID+Tuning

And more advanced method posted by wooden that I've had bookmarked for a year:
    http://aeroquad.com/showthread.php?3...ll=1#post66942

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    What do you mean "speed?" What is a "speed lower than the throttle?"

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    push the envelope, watch it bend

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    "Zakerny": the thing is I'm doing my own PID controller and I'm not using AQ. anyway its good to know that 30% throttle speed is enough since I'm doing it by hand and I'm afraid of higher speeds.

"Wooden": I meant the speed that I'm sending to the motors while doing the PID tuning.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Well, for an initial tuning, it doesn't matter a whole lot but you should tune at the throttle at which you will normally be flying. I doubt your copter will hover at 30%, it'll probably be more like 45-55% so you should use that as your basis.

When I'm tuning my PIDs, I tend to fly the copter harder than I actually do when normally flying to make sure the tuning can handle those "oh shit" moments when you really punch it. For example, I'll tune the PIDs such that it doesn't wobble in a hover, and then I'll start kicking into a higher gear - send it into a FAST forward flight and then tilt it backwards and send the throttle to 100% to completely stop the motion in the forward direction. In this situation, your copter is moving in one direction and the thrust vector is in the opposite direction - unless your copter is tuned almost perfectly, this WILL cause oscillations. If you can tune the oscillations out of this kind of situation, you'll pretty much never run into them elsewhere.

It's easiest to see oscillations when you put a camera on your copter and review the onboard footage. The footage will show oscillations that you can't see with your eyes while flying.

Hand tuning really doesn't do anything, if you ask me. It'll get it to a point where it can fly, but even the best hand tuning isn't going to perform well in the air. Even once I've settled on a "good" tuning, I'll end up re-tuning over the next few flying sessions to get it dialed in completely.. but I've still never been 100% happy with any of my copters - quadcopters are inherently unstable so it's next to impossible to make them "perfect."
    push the envelope, watch it bend