Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Power connections from the ESC

Hello,

I have the Typhoon frame with the powerbox connections. I have soldered the ESC connections to the power box. However, I found that the red and blacks wires from the ESC are shorted to each other. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Huzefa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Which red and black wires, the power ones or the ones going to the motor? If the power wires are shorted together something is very wrong.
    push the envelope, watch it bend

Moderator AeroQuad Documentation Team p0lar's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    RED to RED shorted/connected BLACK to BLACK shorted/connected but

NEVER RED to BLACK

pictures would help us debug this with you
    p0lar == the aeroquadist formerly known as dpackham...

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Ok, what I meant is that when I check the connections on the power box, they are red-red, black-black and not shorted when the resistance is measured. The battery is 12V and when I connect the battery to the power wire, nothing happens and the voltage measured just at the output of the connectors is 0, when it should be 12V

- - - - - - - - - - The following text was automatically merged with this post to prevent doubleposts - - - - - - - - - -

Also, I have already uploaded the software to aeroquad32, just fyi

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Hey Huzefa;

If you had enough of a short to pull the output voltage down to zero, you would be experiencing a smoke and fire test when you plugged the battery in. I think you're looking for a bad connection/open circuit. Start at the battery and it's connection, then plug in the battery to the distribution wiring and check for voltage as you work your way through the circuit. Be thorough and you'll find it.

Jim
    WHEN DRONES ARE OUTLAWED,
    ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE DRONES !

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks I will check it. What happens when you plugin the battery, will the aeroquad32 board power on?
    I have connected the ESC connections to the board. Secondly is there an easier way to connect besides using the power box (in your previous version you had a better connection methods, but you folks changed to reduce weight I believe

- - - - - - - - - - The following text was automatically merged with this post to prevent doubleposts - - - - - - - - - -

Also although the battery shows 12V - I havent charged it yet (my first use after I received it and dont have a LiPo charge). I believe it should be fine right?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Hey Huzefa;

LiPo batteries are shipped new with a nebulous amount of charge on them. While not dead, they are not fully charged either. It would be easy to over discharge the battery and damage it in the testing and set up process. I would reccomend fully charging the battery before going much further. You want to keep the battery above 10 Volts (assuming a 3S battery based on the 12V figure) if possible. Discharging below 9V will probably damage the battery and render it unusable and actually fairly dangerous.

When all of the system is hooked up, when you plug your battery in, the AQ 32 should light up, and the motors should emit a tone. There are many methods of power distribution available on the market, every one of them I've worked with has worked pretty well. The AQ power box is quite new and I have not had a chance to use one yet. Polar suggested posting a picture of the wiring, I would concur. We can do a better job of helping with a little more information. Hang in there and be patient. You'll be ready to fly pretty quickly.
    WHEN DRONES ARE OUTLAWED,
    ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE DRONES !

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Power connections from the ESC

Ideally, when you receive new batteries, use your chargers "discharge" function to fully discharge them and then recharge them all the way SLOWLY. At this point they're good to go.

A fully discharged lipo cell should read around 3.3V, fully charged 4.2V. Thus, a 3S lipo would be 9.9V discharged and 12.6V charged.

If you're not going to use your batteries for a while, your charger should have a "storage" setting that discharges/charges the battery to approximately half capacity. When you're ready to use them again, discharge fully and then recharge again.

LiPos are finicky and powerful enough that you should avoid handling them improperly if possible. That being said, they are designed to be as safe as can be so if you don't adhere to the recommended usage guidelines, it's not a huge deal, but it will reduce the lifespan of the lipo.
    Last edited by wooden; 03-21-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    push the envelope, watch it bend

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Wooden, thanks for the discharge tip on new batteries. It's the first time I've been made aware of that. Just got one in the mail and haven't charged it yet, so your timing is perfect! (Well, your timing and the fact that I've been to lazy to solder on a connector and charge it)
    One hover and you're hooked!

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    I checked the following. Output at batteries 12V
    All reds connected to red (resistances between each red and output is 0)
    All blacks connected to black (resistances between each black and output is 0)
    What if I disconnect the AQ32 and then connect the battery? (ie remove the power connections from the ESC?)
    Secondly, could it that the power connections are ok but the AQ32 connections are not correct?

The USB cable was connected to the AQ32 when I plugged the battery. Is it possible that could have prevented the AeroQuad from powering up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast