Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Question On Screen Display on Quadcopter, recommended components and requirements pls?

Hello

I'm planning to make a quad with an onboard camera with on screen display (using AeroQuad v2.1 Kit w/ Arduino MEGA). I'd like to know the requirements and components to achieve OSD

from this page:
    http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?tit...Screen-Display

..i managed to know that i need a Max7456 breakout board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9168) and camera with transmitter and receiver.

Are there any other components required?

and can you please advice/recommend with camera, transmitter/receiver should I pick?

Moderator AeroQuad Core Software Developer kha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmap93 View Post
    Hello

I'm planning to make a quad with an onboard camera with on screen display (using AeroQuad v2.1 Kit w/ Arduino MEGA). I'd like to know the requirements and components to achieve OSD

from this page:
    http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?tit...Screen-Display

..i managed to know that i need a Max7456 breakout board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9168) and camera with transmitter and receiver.

Are there any other components required?

and can you please advice/recommend with camera, transmitter/receiver should I pick?
    There is alternate breakouts like http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/max7456-osd-breakout which are smaller.

In addition to that you need a camera that outputs composite video, a video TX/RX and of course something to view the feed like monitor or video goggles.

You can get video from gopro or some other HD cams but normally a dedicated 'FPV' camera is safer option.

Pick of vtx/rx relies largely on local usable frequencies and you range needs.

Sent by kha's fat fingers on phablet
    quad(X)1: AQ + mega + v2 shield (with baro) + turnigy plush 30A + Turnigy 2217 + APC 12x3.8 (camera onboard)
    quad(X)2: AQ32 at Baloo / DJI F450 / A2212-12 / 30A ESC:s / 10x4.5 (camera onboard)
    quad(X)3: Naze32 / DJI F330 / RCTimer 2212-9 / Aeolian 20A / 8x4.5
    Generic: Turnigy 9x with telemetry mods with FrSky 2Way, GoPro Hero HD, 1.3 & 5.8 vTx

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Question thanks! but i still have a few more questions :P

thank you very much for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by kha View Post
    In addition to that you need a camera that outputs composite video, a video TX/RX and of course something to view the feed like monitor or video goggles.

You can get video from gopro or some other HD cams but normally a dedicated 'FPV' camera is safer option.
    Can you advice or recommend some right Video Tx/Rx ? And what are the criteria for selecting the right frequency?

I was browsing HobbyKing:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...deo_Tx_Rx.html

No idea which frequency to choose.

And which camera is correct? From the list:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y-Cameras.html

One last thing, is using the MAX7456 the ONLY method i can use to have OSD in an AeroQuad Quadcopter? Are there systems that doesnt involve integrating the Camera and OSD systems to the arduino board? Like a camera with transmitter onboard the Quad, then received directly on an LCD screen? Of course with aircraft telemetry such as attitude, speed, altitude, etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Get the Mobius camera, and you won't regret it. Just don't forget to get the cable for video out for it

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    You can use separate osd modules with aq but the integrated osd by using the max7456 gives more features.

Sent by kha's fat fingers on phablet
    quad(X)1: AQ + mega + v2 shield (with baro) + turnigy plush 30A + Turnigy 2217 + APC 12x3.8 (camera onboard)
    quad(X)2: AQ32 at Baloo / DJI F450 / A2212-12 / 30A ESC:s / 10x4.5 (camera onboard)
    Generic: Turnigy 9x with telemetry mods with FrSky 2Way, GoPro Hero HD, 1.3 & 5.8 vTx

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    OK then, I choose to go for the INTEGRATED OSD

Can you recommend some proper cameras along with the tx/rx ? and components needed? (preferably hobbyking)

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Anyone? Project proposal is due soon

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    A big part of this hobby is that you have to do a lot of researching, by yourself.

I would like to propose this website, as over there is a lot of information on camera's, tx's and rx's. Basically everything for FPV is covered there.
    Start reading over there, however that may mean that you will miss your target date for you project proposal.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahabest View Post
    A big part of this hobby is that you have to do a lot of researching, by yourself.

I would like to propose this website, as over there is a lot of information on camera's, tx's and rx's. Basically everything for FPV is covered there.
    Start reading over there, however that may mean that you will miss your target date for you project proposal.
    Here is one good cam and suitable videotx/rx.
    http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com/26/fpv

I recommend 200mW 5.8GHz plus cloverleaf/skewplanar pair as antennas.

Same gear can be sourced from many vendors but this one I have used before and can recommend.
    Last edited by kha; 03-18-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    thank you very much for your kind replies, that should give me more than enough to start with