Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Pilot
    Cape May County, NJ - The South Jersey Shore
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Not Sure About Next Flight test after Maiden Flight Disaster

Not sure about next flight test after Maiden Flight Disaster. I am just not sure what to look for in the Configurator that would alert me to something that is not right. I purchased the FrSky DHT and D4R-II and moded my Turnigy 9x, bound the Rx to the Tx, everything seems to be OK but I would not know if there is something wrong or not. I initialized EEprom and went thru all the configuration buttons. In the Configurator under Vehicle Status the Throttle was going from left to right on the left stick (Mode 2) instead of up and down so I switch channels 3 and 4 on the Rx and now they are moving correctly, was that the right way to correct that issue? Also in Vehicle Status when I connect a LiPo the motors are not acting correctly at all, they spin up and then spin down, very uneven and will not hold constant power In the Configurator, in Rate Mode under Vehicle Status, the compass heading is not at "0", should it be? In 3D View the Configurator does not show the proper orientation of the craft, it is 180 degrees out (or it's backwards from what it should be). Motor Commands does nothing. Wooden, I PM'd you about the FrSky stuff you recommended and I am not sure it is connected properly, I only supplied power to channel 1 on the Rx, do I need to each of the 4 channels? And then I am not sure the Tx is setup correctly. I'm really lost on this stuff and nothing comes with directions for beginners. I just don't feel that this bird is right or ready for another test flight but how do I know what is wrong or how to fix it??

- - - - - - - - - - The following text was automatically merged with this post to prevent doubleposts - - - - - - - - - -

I modified my Turnigy 9x with the FrSky stuff Wooden recommended as follows: FRSKY DHT DIY Tlelmetry Tx module and D4R-II Rx from Aloft Hobbies. I have no idea if it is correctly connected but the Rx did bind to the Tx.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    If you're using the D4RII, I would use it in PPM mode as you'll get more than 4 channels. Use the little jumper that came with it to connect channels 3 and 4 (look in the manual, you either connect 3 and 4 or 1 and 2, I can't remember). Then PPM is outputted on channel 1 and RSSI on channel 2 (again, check the manual, I might be off by a channel).

To configure the AQ32 to use these, upload code as normal but in the web compiler form choose PPM Receiver and SERIAL_SUM_PPM_1. It might be SERIAL_SUM_PPM_2 or 3, you'll have to check the channel order in Configurator.

This will give you 8 channels. I use mine with only 6 cuz my mini quad has no use for more than 6 channels and this works great.
    push the envelope, watch it bend

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Hello Wooden, OK, let's start with "where do I connect the power which I am getting from the AQ32? To the positive and negative of channel 1, that is where I have it connected and it seems to work, is that correct? If I use the little jumper to connect channels 3 and 4 on the D4R-II, where do I connect the signal wires coming from the AQ32? Right now I have 1-4 from the AQ32 to 1-4 on the D4R-II. Also I just put props on for testing while strapped down and the new motor is not acting right, I toasted the coils inside the motor in the maiden flight crash, now I think I might have also ruined the ESC, it is growling and does not respond like the other 3 motors, do you thin it is the ESC gone bad from crash? Also I don't know how to check the channel order in the configurator, how and where do you find that?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Doesn't matter what channel you connect power to, the + and - lines are all connected.

If you jumper 3 and 4 together, connect channel 1 on the RX to channel 1 on AQ32. See the Receiver wiki page.

For your ESC, connect the new motor to a different ESC and see what happens.

Just open up the transmitter data page and move the sticks around to see if the channel order is correct. You'll have to go through the receiver initialization process again once you switch from PWM (one channel per wire) to PPM (all channels on one wire).

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks Wooden, that info is what I needed to know for sure, I am learning this step by step! Before I change to PPM, can you tell me about the necessary switching of channels 3 and 4 to get my throttle on the left stick to work up and down instead of side to side? I switched channels 3 and 4 on the RX to get the throttle to work right. What is causing that and is it a normal thing to switch channels to correct it? After switching to PPM with just one wire will it correct this issue with the throttle? Also I really hope the PPM works, less wires to deal with! When I tried that with the stock Turnigy Rx it did not work at all but now with the FrSky D4R-II, I presume the PPM will work properly? Concerning the ESC, none of the other motors and ESC's are behaving like that one, it is a lot of work to switch around motors on the Typhoon and I don't have the necessary components to test it otherwise. I think I will just order a new ESC from AQ and replace it, when the coils toasted in the old motor after the crash it must have pulled a lot of power thru the ESC and damaged it, at least I hope that is the cause. Also I did not see SERIAL_SUM_PPM_1 anywhere, under Receiver options there is a checkbox for "Usde cPPM receiver" and then 3 choices "Graupner/Spektrum", "Robe/Hitec/Futaba", and "Graupner/SpektrumFor some Hitec/Sanwa/others". WHat setting should I be using? I usually use "Graupner/Spektrum", is that correct?? Sorry for so many questions but I need to learn these things!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Ah sorry about that, the webcompiler simplifies the names from SERIAL_SUM_PPM_x to just the brand names it corresponds to. In this case I would use the Graupner/Spektrum one, as it expects the channels in the most basic order: Throttle, Aileron/roll, Elevator/pitch, Rudder/yaw, aux1, aux2, etc. The Robe/HiTec/Futaba choice expects this order: Aileron/roll, Elevator/pitch, Throttle, Rudder/yaw, aux1, aux2, etc.

Couple ways to adjust the channel order: if the first choice above doesn't work (Graupner/Spektrum), try the second one (Robe/HiTec/Futaba). If that is also the wrong order, you can try the third option, but my guess is this one won't work either. In this case, you should be able to configure the channel order using your transmitter somehow. I don't own a Turnigy 9x so I'm not sure if the stock 9x firmware supports channel order switching, nor do I know what order it outputs the channels in by default. For example, with my Futaba remote, I can go into the menus and assign any stick/switch/pot to any channel I want. My guess is the stock Turnigy 9x firmware isn't this robust and this feature may only be enabled in the er9x or other open-source 9x firmwares.

kha or someone else with a Turnigy 9x should be of more help here.

As for the motor/esc problems, definitely get at least one spare of both. I've got at least one spare of every motor I own, it has come in handy more often than I care to admit.

Moderator AeroQuad Core Software Developer kha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    9x uses the aetr order so select the futaba ppm order.

To setup the mode and aux check this
    http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=Turnigy+9X+FAQ

--kha via mobile
    quad(X)1: AQ + mega + v2 shield (with baro) + turnigy plush 30A + Turnigy 2217 + APC 12x3.8 (camera onboard)
    quad(X)2: AQ32 at Baloo / DJI F450 / A2212-12 / 30A ESC:s / 10x4.5 (camera onboard)
    quad(X)3: Naze32 / DJI F330 / RCTimer 2212-9 / Aeolian 20A / 8x4.5
    Generic: Turnigy 9x with telemetry mods with FrSky 2Way, GoPro Hero HD, 1.3 & 5.8 vTx

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Most importantly of all, do not put your props on before you are 100% clear that the motor data is correct.
    Make sure the escs are all correctly calibrated, do a tilt test with no props on and motors on 50% throttle.
    I hate to see someone struggling so much with this, it's really fun to fly them once it all works, so don't get discouraged!
    If you think you spent a lot of money, look at people's signatures (Xtrmtrk, Honk and Kenny have entire fleets, and mine's expanding rapidly as well)
    Fleet: AQ32 Y6 FPV, Mega v2.1.2 FPV quad, Blade mcp-X, 6' Skywalker 1900, 20" Flying wing, 100 mph 1:10 car
    Gear: GoPro Hero 2, Gopro hero 3 Black, Fatshark Predator, 600mw 5.8, 9XR, 850mw 1.2, scherrer lrs
    Carnage: This year: 1.2 TX, several ESC's, mostly due to polarity.. CHECK YOUR BATTERY LEADS!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Ugh, you had to remind me of how much money I'm spending on this hobby? Do you know how much effort I put into denial? 😅 😳
    2013 Carnage (so far!): 26 propellers, 1 frame, 5 arms, 1 motor mount, 2 motors, 2 ESCs, 1 GPS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    I prefer to call it "creating awareness"
    Fleet: AQ32 Y6 FPV, Mega v2.1.2 FPV quad, Blade mcp-X, 6' Skywalker 1900, 20" Flying wing, 100 mph 1:10 car
    Gear: GoPro Hero 2, Gopro hero 3 Black, Fatshark Predator, 600mw 5.8, 9XR, 850mw 1.2, scherrer lrs
    Carnage: This year: 1.2 TX, several ESC's, mostly due to polarity.. CHECK YOUR BATTERY LEADS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast