Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Using Aeroquad Flight Software without Aeroquad flight controller

Hi all! I'm new to the world of quadcopters, but I've built my first one and I'm on the software part now! I have everything set up, custom built frame, everything.

I'm ready to get flying, but the software is posing a bit of a challenge. I have an Arduino Uno with a 9DOF Module. The module is made up of an ITG3200/ITG3205 Gyro, an ADXL345 accelerometer, and an HMC5883L Magnetometer. So I did not buy a flight controller from aeroquad, but I would love to get to use the software. Is this possible? Can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions or maybe just give me some advice?

Also, I'm hoping to make an autonomous quadcopter. Is that achievable with the Aeroquad Flight Software?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Start with the WIKI and how's your coding skills? The software can be configured to accommodate different sensor packs, you just have to set it up.

John
    it's only a hobby... it's only a hobby... it's only a hobby....

Hand built Cyclone frame @ ~60cm w/ Mega/v2.1: AQ Store Cyclone Hex w/ AQ32v1: HK Scorpion w/ AQ32v2: E-Flight Nano QX: Estes Proto-X

FatShark Dominators, x2 wing cameras, GoPro HeroHD, 5.8Ghz Tx/Rx
    Spektrum DX6i
    Mac, Hac(q6600) and Window$ Configurator/Arduino
    (OS X/osx86/Vista)
    E-Bike/Segway/Ryno - Coming Soon!

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'm actually a Software Engineer haha. I've been looking around the wiki, are there any specific sections that you have in mind? Any thoughts on autonomous flying?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    The 9DOF is well supported by AeroQuad, you'll just have to define the right libraries in the main AeroQuad.ini file. Take a look at the board initialization section in there, you'll want to define the same sensors as are defined for the v2.1.2 shield but in the v1.9 shield section (or make your own new section and more or less copy the v2.1.2 section, excluding barometer).

If you're a software engineer, you'll figure it out quite easily, the AeroQuad code is laid out well and is very easy to understand.
    push the envelope, watch it bend

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Awesome, I'll look around today. Thanks a lot!

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by wooden View Post
    The 9DOF is well supported by AeroQuad, you'll just have to define the right libraries in the main AeroQuad.ini file. Take a look at the board initialization section in there, you'll want to define the same sensors as are defined for the v2.1.2 shield but in the v1.9 shield section (or make your own new section and more or less copy the v2.1.2 section, excluding barometer).

If you're a software engineer, you'll figure it out quite easily, the AeroQuad code is laid out well and is very easy to understand.
    I found an AeroQuadUploader.ini file, and an AeroQuadConfigurator.ini file. The Uploader one looks closer to what you're referring to. Is this correct?

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Okay I see you meant the .ino file now. I went in there and defined my own, but was getting errors. So I reverted back to the default settings and like you said v2.1 is essentially the exact same as my set up. So why can't i just select that one? I keep getting these errors when I try that.

Uploading flight software to microcontroller...

text data bss dec hex filename
    0 35746 0 35746 8ba2 applet/main.hex

avrdude.exe: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
    avrdude.exe: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Okay well I'm really excited to report that I put in the correct sensors into the v1.8 section and I was able to upload the software to my arduino. Now it's detecting the accelerometer, but not the magnetometer or the gyroscope. Are there certain pins that I need to connect these to? I know the accelerometer is accessed through addressing so it doesn't really matter where I connect it, but I don't know about the other two.

Thanks!

AeroQuad Core Software Developer ala42's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Use the gyro code from the development branch https://github.com/AeroQuad/AeroQuad...TG3200Common.h
    and try again. You have to set the define ITG3200_ADDRESS_ALTERNATE when your gyro has address 0x68.

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    I tried to use the code from there and defined the alternate address, but I get this error.

Gyroscope_ITG3200Common.h:106: error: 'gyroTemperature' was not declared in this scope

EDIT: Actually I get a few different errors about variables not being defined within that file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast