Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Quad - I need some tips ...

Hey there guys ! Thats my first post and I always wanted to be part of a community for RC in general and this I think is the perfect for me!
    My name is Thiago Neves, I live in Canada and I am new to this Quad adventure. I am a beginner as well on RC's so I dont understand technical terms ... and I dont know how to fly the quad facing me ... lol

Ok I have a GAUI 500X and I extended the booms so I kind of made a different quad.
    Motors: 4x GAUI GUEC GM-412 Brushless (960Kv)
    ESC's: Hobbywing Flyfun 30A - Brushless Speed Controller 2-4S Lipo BEC 5V@2A
    2 Thunderpower RC batteries 2650mAh 3-cell/3S 45C 11.1 v (model# TP2650-3SP45)
    4x 10X4.5 propellers
    Transmitter: Spektrum DX 7
    Stabilizer: FY-91Q with GPS&Compass
    Telemetry : TM1000 with Altimeter, Battery Volt, Temperature and Transmitter Voltage with the Iphone device that reads the infos
    FPV: 5.8GHz 600mW Immersion RC (Audio and Video Transmitter) FatShark Goggles.
    A small camera to use for FPV and a GoPro under to record movies and take pictures.

I really would like to get into something like Aerial Videos, Aerial Photography covering events, shows, taking pics for real states ..., I would like to make some money off of that ...
    Does anybody know what could I do?

Now I have a few questions:

1- Are the ESC's good for the motors I have ?
    2- Are the batteries the ones I really need? I know there is a math I have to do to find out whats the perfect battery for me, I am a newbie so I have no clue how to do that ...
    3- Im having a hard time to make the FY 91Q to be stable, Ive read the manual so many times and couldnt understand it ... the 3 way switch on my transmitter, I set up: UP (Hovering) - NEUTRAL (Free to fly) - DOWN (Return to home)
    It never hovers steady and RTH... Whats that ? lol ... When Im descending, the quad shakes A LOT!!! Not good for when Im making videos... I probably need to take it to somebody that understand that on GTA Ontario, but because FY91Q is quite new, I havent heard about ppl that are Pro on those ...
    4- For the Telemetry, when I set up for the Iphone (telemetry display) to let me know when is good to land because the batteries are about to die, whats the LOW and HIGH Voltage I should set and Whats Low and High Alarms ?
    5- Same as 4 but for the receiver What would be the low voltage, high voltage, high alarm and low alarm ?
    6- Same as 4 but for the Temperature, where should I put the wire that gets the temperature? I put on the ESC #1 that is the only one that gets hot, but I dont know whats a good temp, bad and alarm for the telemetry.
    7- FPV, The transmitter says the range is 2 km, sometimes the image flickers when the quad is in front of me... so I cant rely on it, I ve seen a video the guy flies a quad the goes behind the house, between the trees and he doesnt loose his signal ... I know he has an white antenna on the floor, what are those? Do I really need them ?
    8- Whats the radio regulations for Canada for FPV? Where would I go to get a license (if needed) ?
    9- I dont feel confortable flying on water or on top of people (I know its not a good idea), I start shaking (lol) and I dont rely at all on the quad, as I already had a few previously crashes out of nowhere ...

Ok, I know its a big questionnaire, Im sorry if I offended someone with my newbies questions, I always wanted to ask somebody those questions and when I go to hobby stores I few that people are busy so I few bad asking those questions...
    I will be really thankfull for the ones that try to help !

I was willing to even buy a new quad or octo (fully working) so I can "work" with my pics and videos...

Cheers !
    PS.: Here is a couple of photos of my quad
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	6330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	6331

Welcome to the forum... This is an awesome place and everyone will no doubt help ya out big time!! Wondering which FC (flight controller) you are using, that should help nail done some awnsers as well.
    Joshua @ MakerGeeks.com

Hi Jbsmith78, thanks for your quick reply. Im looking forward for some answers.
    I believe the flight controller is the FY 91Q, I replaced the GU 344 with this one ...
    Thanks !!!

This is what I got for ya bud... I'm sure others will know more!! But it's a start...

Now I have a few questions:

1- Are the ESC's good for the motors I have ?
    Looks like it, max output is 19amp so that's more than enough.

2- Are the batteries the ones I really need? I know there is a math I have to do to find out whats the perfect battery for me, I am a newbie so I have no clue how to do that ...
    The batts look fine as well... here is a great JAVA program to help with all the calculations: http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc

3- Im having a hard time to make the FY 91Q to be stable, Ive read the manual so many times and couldnt understand it ... the 3 way switch on my transmitter, I set up: UP (Hovering) - NEUTRAL (Free to fly) - DOWN (Return to home)
    It never hovers steady and RTH... Whats that ? lol ... When Im descending, the quad shakes A LOT!!! Not good for when Im making videos... I probably need to take it to somebody that understand that on GTA Ontario, but because FY91Q is quite new, I havent heard about ppl that are Pro on those ...
    Not sure about this one... maybe someone else can help, I know Wooden was talking about descending in another post that when you are coming back through your own prop-wash you will see some flutter and just to descend forward or backward to avoid that issue.

4- For the Telemetry, when I set up for the Iphone (telemetry display) to let me know when is good to land because the batteries are about to die, whats the LOW and HIGH Voltage I should set and Whats Low and High Alarms ?
    This is awesome if you ported the AQ software to an iPhone... I wasn't aware we had that setup; can you post the code??

7- FPV, The transmitter says the range is 2 km, sometimes the image flickers when the quad is in front of me... so I cant rely on it, I ve seen a video the guy flies a quad the goes behind the house, between the trees and he doesnt loose his signal ... I know he has an white antenna on the floor, what are those? Do I really need them ?
    IBCRAZY has some great videos out on this and that basically everything is LINE OF SIGHT; if you see the pros flying behind a house they are just dealing with the signal loss and "flying through" the noise. There are some great sites out there on FPV that you can learn everything you need to know; I've been getting into it some and WHOA there is a lot of info to sift through... it's fun though thats for sure - I went in thinking one thing and about 500 pages later I have changed my mind on everything I thought I knew; its awesome and you can build so much of the equipment yourself and run your own codes even in your OSD (Google DIY OSD for a cool OSD that uses a Arduino Pro Mini... ULTRA COOL!!)

9- I dont feel confortable flying on water or on top of people (I know its not a good idea), I start shaking (lol) and I dont rely at all on the quad, as I already had a few previously crashes out of nowhere ...
    Having taken a hit to my hands and thumbs the other day while tuning my quad I WILL NEVER fly it around people or my child again... so stupid for not taking this thing serious and thinking that I have control, it's a open source brain that's flying these things... stuff is gonna happen and it's not worth hurting someone over... keep it out in the open away from people!! *just my .02 on that one! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoSnow View Post
    Hi Jbsmith78, thanks for your quick reply. Im looking forward for some answers.
    I believe the flight controller is the FY 91Q, I replaced the GU 344 with this one ...
    Thanks !!!

Oh, ok... you might have to ask in their forums - I'm not sure how that's handled here; all the guys (and gals) here use the AeroQuad FC and it's AWESOME open-source code... I'm new here so I better let someone with more seniority help ya out on this!!!

Have fun out there!!
    Last edited by Airwolf; 06-09-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: merged double post
    Joshua @ MakerGeeks.com

jbsmith78, Thanks again for your reply !

About the batteries I checked the website you sent me, it asked so many things that I have no idea a battery would have all those infos … lol
    I probably need more reading to understand that (The problem is, I hate reading, I would rather videos … lol) but yeah, I need more knowledge about batteries

About the iPhone module, here is the link of the device:
    http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMTR1000
    Would that be the code you mentioned ? It works really nice, but with some delay so altimeter you have to wait a few secs before you get the right altitude…

Even though I still need some kind of info for whats the battery hi and low volt…

It makes sense about the prop-wash… I will try that

For the video I mentioned, this is the one, check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrzBwylodU

About the Aeroquad FC, is that a controller ?! So this forum is just for those controllers ?!

Thanks !

Senior Pilot
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoSnow View Post
    jbsmith78, Thanks again for your reply !

About the batteries I checked the website you sent me, it asked so many things that I have no idea a battery would have all those infos … lol
    I probably need more reading to understand that (The problem is, I hate reading, I would rather videos … lol) but yeah, I need more knowledge about batteries

About the iPhone module, here is the link of the device:
    http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMTR1000
    Would that be the code you mentioned ? It works really nice, but with some delay so altimeter you have to wait a few secs before you get the right altitude…

Even though I still need some kind of info for whats the battery hi and low volt…

It makes sense about the prop-wash… I will try that

For the video I mentioned, this is the one, check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrzBwylodU

About the Aeroquad FC, is that a controller ?! So this forum is just for those controllers ?!

Thanks !
    For the batteries in the calculator, you only *need* the cell configuration, capacity, and C rating. For the other variables, if you have the information, then great, otherwise the default values are fine.

With lithium polymer batteries, if you drain them to below a certain voltage, it damages them. The voltage you use for the low voltage alarm should be at minimum 3v, and probably 3.3v to be on the safe side.

Aeroquad is an open source project that has developed a flight controller (currently Arduino based, but an ARM board is being worked on right now) and the software to go with it. There is also the AQ Cyclone frame, but you will probably use the one you have if you decide to get an AQ flight controller.
    Last edited by fb39ca4; 06-09-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Good !!! I will follow those things you said !
    I will check it out the Aeroquad and read more about it !
    Thank you very much !!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Yep, AeroQuad is open source hardware and software, pretty much all of us have one or more AeroQuad (AQ) flight controllers on our quads (I'm using only AQ..).

For LiPo (Lithium Polymer) batteries, the highest safe voltage is 4.2V per cell, or 12.6V for a 3S (3 cell) LiPo. The low end of the safe zone is 3.3V/cell, or 9.9V for a 3S battery. While you're flying, depending on how high the throttle is, the voltage will drop 0.3-0.7V. When you turn the motors off, the voltage will creep back up a little ways. I would set your voltage alarms to 3.3-3.6V per cell, this will ensure you have enough time to do a controlled descent and landing without damaging your battery (discharging it too far). Also, ensure your chargers are never putting more than 4.2V in a single cell, this is very dangerous (a little over, like 4.25V, isn't terrible, but I'd still avoid it as much as possible).

As a beginner (hell, even a reallllly good pilot) you shouldn't be flying near people. I'm stupid and film skateboard events with my copters and thus have to get near people, but I'm EXTREMELY careful in such situations. These things are flying knives and can do some serious damage to flesh reeeeal quick.

I don't know anything about the flight controller you're using, so I can't help you there...

And yes, without a very well tuned craft, descending straight down will almost always cause oscillations. If your quad isn't tuned perfectly, just come down at an angle (slightly pitched forward or backward, or roll left or right). This will keep it from entering its own turbulent prop wash and ensure oscillations don't arise.
    push the envelope, watch it bend.
    Copters:
    FlipFPV w/ AQ32, SunnySky 980kV motors, 4S batts, 8 or 9" props, GoPro HD HERO2, OSD & 1.3GHz video gear, LEDs
    DJI F550 hexa w/ 2axis GoPro gimbal, currently no FC
    miniquad w/ AQ32 running aq32Plus

Reputation Points (Add)
    Hi ThiagoSnow,

To elaborate on the above, we mainly focus on quads with Aeroquad flight controllers, so people are able to tell you a lot about that, and generally a little less about the flightcontroller that you have.
    I understand that the quad you bought is one off the shelf (store bought) and has different characteristics than Aeroquad.
    Also: The batteries are rated with letters and numbers like 4000 mah 3S 25C for example, this means the following: 4000 mah is the capacity, or how much current you can draw before it's empty, 3S is the amount of 3,7v cells your battery contains, 25C is the amount of current your battery can deliver, in other words 25 times the capacity of the battery, so it can deliver a maximum current draw of 4000x25=100000 mA or 100A
    Although fb39ca4 said to let it drop to 3.3v, keep in account he means PER CELL!! If you let a 11.1V lipo drop to 3V total, you can toss it in the trash.
    So never let it drop under 9.9v and your batteries will be fine.
    Further more, let the batteries be about 50% of the total weight of your quad (with batteries), that's said to be the golden ratio, but i'm rather new at this myself, so you'll have to wait for someone else to confirm that

If you really want to get into FPV, make sure you get a lot of hours of normal flying in, because it's very hard to pilot a quad, and it's very expensive insurance wise if one crashes into people.. also it will be a bloody mess, because you're basically flying a giant 4 bladed lawnmower without protection
    For FPV above people, safety wise, i would make sure to have a kill switch at least, and a Y6 or hex configuration for flying, if one motor dies, it will still be flyable.. If one dies on a quad, it'll drop like a brick with rotating razorblades!

Lol, wooden was quicker

Senior Pilot
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    Hi ThiagoSnow,
    Further more, let the batteries be about 50% of the total weight of your quad (with batteries), that's said to be the golden ratio, but i'm rather new at this myself, so you'll have to wait for someone else to confirm that
    Where did you hear that? From what I've heard, get the largest battery possible (that still has a high enough current draw rating) so that the quad hovers at 50% throttle. (Weight w/ battery should equal half the maximum thrust the motors can produce)

Also, yeah, I did forget the per cell thing. That is quite important.
    Last edited by fb39ca4; 06-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast