Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reputation Points (Add)

Playing with remote control ideas... any thoughts ?

I've been playing around with a Sony Playstation Navigation Controller to PPM via Arduino
    I wanted to keep it simple one handed (except for trimming would have to put your sammich down for this)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SonyRC.JPG 
Views:	538 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	5789  
    Last edited by norem; 06-14-2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Update

Blog Entries
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Are the buttons pressure sensitive? I would think you'd have trouble controlling the throttle without pressure sensitive buttons. What if you need to roll/pitch and yaw at the same time? Can't fly in very good circles without using yaw and one other axis.

Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by wooden View Post
    Are the buttons pressure sensitive? I would think you'd have trouble controlling the throttle without pressure sensitive buttons. What if you need to roll/pitch and yaw at the same time? Can't fly in very good circles without using yaw and one other axis.
    Unfortunately the buttons are just like they are on a PS3 controller however Throttle and Yaw are independant (these buttons are set up to increase or decrease Yaw when held, releasing at the point you want) pressing and holding the joystick button resets Yaw to center and puts us in Joystick trim mode. basically diddling the center values of the stick.

This setup would be mainly for stable mode and simple camera aiming one could easily pair a PS3 with both joysticks instead and with some minor code mods have a full up "gaming device"

Thanx for the reply I was hoping I was heading in a good direction.

Note: the L2 trigger is variable 0 - 255 not like the Joystick which is centered at 127 (basically pressure sensitive trigger)

Would this be more important for Yaw and maybe use the left and right button could control the camera vertical control ?

Reputation Points (Add)

New ideas to play with

My current control setup, I gave up using the PS3 Control for a quad but it still works great for planes!

Now using the following setup...

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9220

http://www.circuitsathome.com/produc...duino-pro-mini

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8354

With a USB Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick this stick has "twist" or yaw functionality

Joystick controls Pitch Roll and Yaw via twisting left and right (spring centered).

Throttle of course is used for esc power. Using the same parameters when the throttle varied reset altitude setting. * 1 Beep

The 8 Way Hat Switch is used to adjust camera servo centering when no other buttons are pressed, also acts as trim adjustment control with buttons 7 or 8 held.

1. Trigger (Undecided)

2. Pressed alone resets camera center to zero position * cricket chirp
    Pressed with button 7 held resets Pitch and Roll Trim to Zero (Stick Pitch and Roll Trim Centered) * cricket chirp
    Pressed with button 8 held resets Yaw Trim to Zero (Stick Yaw Trim Centered) * cricket chirp

3. Altitude Hold Off * 2 Beeps

4. Attitude Mode * 2 Beeps

5. Altitude Hold On * 1 Beep

6. Rate/Acro Mode * 1 Beep

7. When held adjusts Pitch and Roll Trim center with hat switch. side to side / forward and reverse

8. When held adjusts Yaw Trim center with hat switch moved side to side

9. Sets Rate 100% no effect stick full travel * Single Beep

10. Toggles Rate ( stick travel reduction ) between 25% and 50%
    press once 25% stick reduction * 2 Beeps
    press 2nd time 50% stick reduction * 3 Beeps)

11. Sets Cubic Exponential no Exponential effect * Single Beep

12. Toggles Cubic Exponential between 25% and 50%
    press once 25% Expo * 2 beeps
    press 2nd time 50% Expo * 3 Beeps

I've attached the Arduino Source and slightly modded host library which simply removes some debug info from being transmitted serially.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gopr0145.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	6400  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by norem; 05-23-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: updated source code for project 5/23/2013

Reputation Points (Add)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0280.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	8875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0283.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	8876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0285.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	8877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0290.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	8878

Joystick Update: my FPV Setup
    AQ32-Baloo(Y6) v3.2/AQ Cyclone Inspired Chassis/2217-9/18A ESC:s/APC 12x3.85/BlueSmirf/3D GoPro Cameras wOSD
    AQ32-Baloo(X4) v3.2/Flamewheel Chassis/2NTM2826/20A ESC:s/APC 10x4.70/BlueSmirf/Sony CCD Camera wOSD
    Homebrew: Logitech X3D Pro USB Joystick w/USB Host Shield for Arduino Pro Mini Transmitter / (
    JR Type Modules )

Reputation Points (Add)
    Haha those pipes look amazing!
    I think your first idea might have worked if you did throttle on trigger, but that means you have to be very careful with it..
    Good job on the joystick though
    Fleet: AQ32 Y6 FPV, Mega v2.1.2 FPV quad, Blade mcp-X, 6' Skywalker 1900, 20" Flying wing, 100 mph 1:10 car
    Gear: GoPro Hero 2, Gopro hero 3 Black, Fatshark Predator, 600mw 5.8, 9XR, 850mw 1.2, scherrer lrs
    Carnage: This year: 1.2 TX, several ESC's, mostly due to polarity.. CHECK YOUR BATTERY LEADS!!

Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanx!

Yeah I had thought of that but like ya suggest it would be sensitive to an accidental full throttle

I'm tempted to do a sim in pvc pipe like the "joyrider" it would be a chore hauling it out to the field tho LOL
    AQ32-Baloo(Y6) v3.2/AQ Cyclone Inspired Chassis/2217-9/18A ESC:s/APC 12x3.85/BlueSmirf/3D GoPro Cameras wOSD
    AQ32-Baloo(X4) v3.2/Flamewheel Chassis/2NTM2826/20A ESC:s/APC 10x4.70/BlueSmirf/Sony CCD Camera wOSD
    Homebrew: Logitech X3D Pro USB Joystick w/USB Host Shield for Arduino Pro Mini Transmitter / (
    JR Type Modules )

Blog Entries
    Reputation Points (Add)
    I made something similar using a Mega2560, USB shield, the same Logitech joystick, and a FrSky module. I found the control to be slightly delayed but never looked into it, do you notice any delay? I couldn't fly my mini in rate mode at all with it haha.

Pretty sweet whole setup you got there. Get an FPV screen on that sucker and you have yourself a full "console" =P
    push the envelope, watch it bend.
    Copters:
    FlipFPV w/ AQ32, SunnySky 980kV motors, 4S batts, 8 or 9" props, GoPro HD HERO2, OSD & 1.3GHz video gear, LEDs
    DJI F550 hexa w/ 2axis GoPro gimbal, currently no FC
    miniquad w/ AQ32 running aq32Plus

Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanx!

Actually in the last pic ya can see my fatshark ring hanger I do have an optional 7 inch screen sitting off to side for co-pilot wrapped in pvc of course heh heh

you could try my code and see how that feels ?

I was going to try to put my updated code here but forgot how I did it ;(
    JR Type Modules )

Blog Entries
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Heh, maybe I'll give it a shot. Haven't touched the joystick since December or so. We're using USB shields and Arduinos so it may need some tweaking, if I find the time/desire in the near future I'll look into it. Kinda just didn't like the feel of using a joystick, the throttle didn't have a whole lot of resolution which made controlling the altitude hard.

How does it feel to you? I just felt like I had way less control using the joystick compared to using a normal transmitter.
    push the envelope, watch it bend.
    Copters:
    FlipFPV w/ AQ32, SunnySky 980kV motors, 4S batts, 8 or 9" props, GoPro HD HERO2, OSD & 1.3GHz video gear, LEDs
    DJI F550 hexa w/ 2axis GoPro gimbal, currently no FC
    miniquad w/ AQ32 running aq32Plus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast