Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Build Log for Quadryx

Hi all. Wanted to say hi, let start my build log. I like making these projects, and love the idea of making a log, similar to my last build, 7 years & 4 kids ago. I made a computer for my Saab before they started getting popular. You can check that out here.

My goal for this quad copter is to make a medium size quad, and incorporate FPV, or at least strap on a GoPro camera.

The long term goal is to make a heavy copter capable of being able to mount a Nerf Vulcan cannon with independently motorized gimbal platform.

First things first. For some silly, non-productive reason, I wanted to come up with a name for my copter first. It was something to do while raising funds and cleaning the garage out. I came up with Quadryx.

Stay tuned for more, and my progress.
    Last edited by Viscouse; 03-15-2012 at 04:13 PM.

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Here's the parts list:

AeroQuad v2.1 Kit
    Turnigy 2217 16turn 1050kv 23A Outrunner
    Zippy Flightmax 4000mAh 11.1v 20C LiPo
    Turnigy AE-30A Brushless ESC
    APC 12x3.8 Propellers & Pushers
    AeroQuad Cyclone Frame
    AR6200 receiver

Still trying to find a Spektrum DX7 radio somewhat cheaply
    Last edited by Viscouse; 03-15-2012 at 04:20 PM.

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    So far build went pretty smoothly. Got the frame put together, ESCs, Motors & battery installed & wired. I made my own power distro from the battery by using a terminal block from Radio Shack & some 14Ga wire I had lying around. Wired up the ESCs to the motors with some 16Ga I had.

Came up against some interesting problems to work through. I honestly thought putting this together would be a little easier from what I've been reading (I'm not sure where I got that idea from!). I honestly am glad I have to use my brain to get past some of these. This is the whole reason I started this...to mess around with something and try to improve it and or customize it to my desires.

First up was mounting the motors. I had the choice of drilling a clearance hole for the shaft, or cutting the shaft. Or, I found out yesterday...reversing the shaft & just mounting the prop to that. In the end, I drilled clearance holes for a couple of reasons: A-the metal tubes are probably the cheapest component on this rig if I mess up, B-I didn't want to mess up the motors by cutting the only moving part that has to run true. Unfortunately, the tradeoff for this was that I couldn't run the wires inside the tube as they would be up against the spinning shaft. I know there is a way around this, I just have to find a way to isolate the shaft with a plug or something. But for now I just ziptied the wires to the arm. Besides, I reason to myself, easier to get to for troubleshooting.

Next was how to wire the ESCs to the motors. After some searching I learned that there is no polarity or matching required. Just connect all 3 any way you want, and if the motor spins the wrong way, reverse any of the 2 wires. Odd, but ok.

Next was power distro. I didn't know how to make 1 wire from the battery branch into 4 wires. I came up with a couple of solutions, and info from the Forum helped make up my mind. I was trying to make a nice custom solution instead of just buying the harness. Trying to save money & mass. My solution fits my criteria perfectly: customizable, low mass, low cost, but still robust & serviceable.

Cont...

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    ...cont.

Then, the CNC (AeroQuad v2.1 Kit) came in the mail. Awww yeah. Somehow I lost the standoffs that was supposed to make this installation a snap. After deliberating for a day or 2 I finally came up with a reasonably clever solution involving computer risers, some screws I had, and hot glue. Then, as I'm reading, I find that vibration is kind of a concern. I don't want the vibrations from the motor/frame getting into the board with the gyros as it introduces errors & stuff. Darn. Just spent two days mounting it and now I have to rethink it. I have some ideas on how to isolate the boards with foam, but am not so sure I want to on the first go round. This is an open issue.

Props: Got my APC props in the mail! Now I have to try and figure out how to mount them to these crazy Turnigy 2217 motors. The adapters are either too big, or too small and just barely fit over the threads. Not going to reverse the motor shaft unless I absolutely have to at this point. So, I'm going to try and be brave and drill out the small adapter to 5mm. Getting my 5mm drill bit today. I wonder if I should glue the adapter inside the prop so it doesn't act as a bearing or something.

RX: Got a AR6200. Thought about a AR6100, but saw a lot of bad reviews about it compared to the 6200. Got that in the mail too, and discovered that I had no idea where to put it, or how to wire it up. Went to the Forum to ask about placement. Discovered I need these to connect. Again...trying to do my own wiring here. Had a heck of a time finding info about these connectors for some reason. I thought this odd because they're pretty common. So I chalked it up to varietal proliferation. I found 2 wicked awesome sites. One was education, one was product (connectors & cables). The first was an excellent source of everything you ever wanted to know about this specific cable (receiver to servo). The other was a low priced place to make your own colors/lengths/genders. I love this place. Waiting for these in the mail!

That's it for now.

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    I had some trouble mounting my KDA20-22L motors on my Turnigy Talon frame, but ended up just cutting off the shaft with a cutting disc on a Dremel rotary tool. Worked great and was very easy. I just finished my build last weekend, and will put up some pictures soon. Still have to tune it!

Administrator AeroQuad Founder Mikro's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks for posting your build log. Let me know if you want me to ship you any spare parts for the Cyclone frame (PM me your order number). I specifically mounted the flight board and camera using antivibration grommets to isolate vibration from the motors with the rest of the system. Have fun!

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Progress update. I really should get some pictures to go with these.

I mounted the RX w/cables. All the cables weigh more than the RX! Maybe I'll spring for shorter ones in the future as part of the V2.0 diet.

I had CNC mounted, and was pretty happy with it, but it still nagged at me. So I found some 2" thick foam at work and had a brainstorm. I'm gonna encapsulate that sucker. I did something similar with my carputer. Instead of rig something fancy to isolate vibration, just overkill with foam and call it done. The solves a couple issues at once. Since the foam is so thick, I can use it as 3-dimensional mounting material. So I hogged out a section for the boards, and some holes for the RX and satellite. I could mount them whichever way I wanted, per spec (one being perpendicular to the other). The only issue I can see right now is overheating (I don't think that's an issue for the boards or RX, and the top is open to air) and stability of CNC. The board isn't fastened down securely, and can be moved. If not touched, it won't go anywhere, but I think a gyro cal is in order before every flight. I'm having commitment issues with permanently using something like tape/adhesive to mount it. I like switching things around.

Todo:
    -Wire Ardu to Main Power (a snap since I used a terminal block!)
    -balance props & mount. I think I have to glue the adapter ring inside. Also drill out to 5mm.
    -Wait anxiously as the last part comes in the mail: DX7!