Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: AeroQuad Manual

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

AeroQuad Manual

First post here. I am new and have been lurking for a few weeks in awe of these multicopters. I have been flying fixed wing RC for a few years and will be ordering my first quad parts soon to start building. In preparation I have been reading through lots of how-to threads and watched countless videos. I am impressed with the amount of knowledge on this forum. I am not much of a programmer, but enjoy assembling/disassembling things. One major attraction to this particular interest in the openness and sharing of ideas, techniques, and time.

Has anyone produced a step-by-step document such as a pdf that outlines the parts needed and/or the actual build process? I know we have the "manual" that is available here, but a great addition might be a document that can be saved or printed. If this hasn't been done I would be very interested in producing one as I learn and build my first quad.

Thoughts?

AeroQuad Lead Software Architect Kenny9999's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Wiki button on top of this page and this http://aeroquad.com/showthread.php?4...tware-tutorial
    Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Great videos Kenny. I was thinking something more along the lines of an all-in-one document that has a description and detailed photos of the assembly of all three priorities as well as the software setup like you have done in your videos. Inspiration for this is something you would see in a radio control model kit. In the little I've learned I've spent lots of time skipping back and forth in the wiki pages and sometimes it's just nice to pull out an actual manual that has a nice photo that doesn't need paused.

The videos are great to learn what building one of these machines is like, but it can be kinda like trying to find your favorite song on an old cassette tape.

Thanks for the link! I will have plenty to watch on breaks now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Hi Pilottangocharlie,

The suggestion I have is to look at the assembly instructions for the cyclone frame. That will give a good introduction to what's involved in building a quad but its only a start. Unlike typical RC projects, this is truely a builder's platform. You can have a ton of fun but you will be designing and building a one of a kind. From one transplanted Okie to another, you're going to have a blast.

Cheers, Scott
    Last edited by jsmcms; 03-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Work hard, but play harder!

Moderator AeroQuad Documentation Team p0lar's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    p0lar == the aeroquadist formerly known as dpackham...

AeroQuad Documentation Team
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilottangocharlie View Post
    I know we have the "manual" that is available here, but a great addition might be a document that can be saved or printed. If this hasn't been done I would be very interested in producing one as I learn and build my first quad.
    Thoughts?
    The trouble with PDF's is that they go stale quickly. With the wiki, numerous people can edit the pages individually. Typically with a PDF, one person holds the original and he or she may not update it for long periods of time.

If you want to make a PDF, feel free! We'd love more documentation. Also, if you find gaps in the current wiki that you want included in the PDF version, please update the wiki accordingly so we can keep them in sync.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    You guys are a tough crowd. Maybe I would have more luck creating a detailed build log. Scott, has a good point too. Beyond the common basic components that most quads share the experience really is a custom machine.