Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Arduino Uno/Wii Sensors Unable to connect to Configurator

I am just getting started in building an aeroquad. I try to read as much as possible before I start bugging people. I followed the Wii sensor Tutorial in the FAQ to utilize a motion plus and nunchuck. I uploaded the software to the Uno, and it connects fine. As soon as I connect the sensors into Ground, 3.3V, Analog 4/5, I then get disconnected from the configurator. I can't seem to find a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Wii sensor is 5v. Need to connect the ground as well.

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    When I connect the sensor to 5v, the power led on the arduino slowly dims, and then shuts off.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    We need more information to help you out... What shield are you using? What AQ version are you using? Where are you pulling the 5V from? Why are you connecting to configurator and THEN plugging the sensors in?

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    No shield, just trying to get sensors to work. AQ v3.0.2, flight software v3.0.1. 5v coming from 5v power in arduino. I got it to work for a couple of seconds, sensors being read, and then it disconnected again.

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    For some reason, it really dislikes the 5v. Switched back to 3.3v and it works fine.

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    The Wii sensors are 3.3v devices, and actually will usually run at less than that. If you push 5v directly through them you can kill them. Well, that's fairly unlikely, but it's a lot more likely they just won't work at 5v.

When I started setting up my quad, I did a similar thing to you - Uno & Wii sensors. I had no end of trouble getting reliable data from the Wii, even when running it at 3.3v through a logic level converter. I then just bit the bullet and got a BMA180/ITG3200 setup and it's been great ever since.

Give some serious consideration to going with the ITG3200 setup.

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks for the input. As I am extremely new to the process, any helpful links would be great. I'm planning on building a quad as small as possible. I already have an Arduino Uno and an Arduino Nano (not mini). I'm only using the Uno for testing, as it is connected to a sparkfun base plate with a breadboard, so it's easier to manage. I plan on switching to the Nano once I get things paired correctly.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    I've got the same Uno/breadboard kit, been using it as a telemetry module for the AQ software using a GLCD. It's hard wired right now but I'm about to buy some wifi modules to see if I can't get it working while the quad is in the air.

So are the sensors working now with 3.3V? If so, what kind of questions do you have? Keeping in mind the fact that the smaller a quad gets, the more unstable it becomes, how small are you trying to go? I've got an 8" motor to motor miniQuad that is rather difficult to fly at the moment (PID tuning is hard..) but it is a fun little craft to fly indoors. If this is your first quad, and especially if you have no prior RC heli experience, I'd recommend going at least 12" motor to motor just because it will be easier to learn to fly.

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Sensors are working with 3.3V. Original question was solved by Darkwolf. Planning on getting it down to 6" motor to motor. Not my first RC heli, but it is my first quad. And definitely not my first electronics project. I do a lot of research before hand, and am quite confident that I can get it running. Especially with such a friendly and active environment as the aeroquad forums.