Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Question Manual Flight for Quadcopter

Hi guys!!! Me and my friends have built our very own quadcopter for our thesis, we have used the 2.0.7 shield for our board and got everything going until i accidentally touched a pin beside the resistors. After the incident we tried to power on the shield again, however there were no response, the green led won't light, we cannot arm the motors anymore, and the configurator cannot detect it. we cannot reorder the components because the delivery would not make it in time.

it's a shame that we have spent a lot of time and fortune for our project and that accident would get us to fail our subject.

Does anyone know how to edit the program so that we would not use the gyro and other sensor, but able to control the quad through the radio control directly? please guys we need your help.

Blog Entries
    Reputation Points (Add)
    It might be possible but I can't imagine it flying very well at all.

The sensors on the shield should be fine, unless you managed to short the VIN of the shield to one of their GNDs. Take the shield off, test the Arduino using a blink sketch or something else simple. If the Arduino works, then connect your shield and start checking the voltages going to the sensors. If those check out, then start looking elsewhere, don't give up on the shield so fast.

Moderator AeroQuad Core Software Developer kha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Reputation Points (Add)
    You can't fly a quad copter without a gyroso you need that working.

we have tested the arduino and it's working fine.. i have tested each sensors in the examples the libraries but there are no other outputs in the serial monitor but the title of the test and the name of the sensor.
    i also have edited the program to ignore the sensors, the copter responded fine without the props, however, we are not yet sure if we can physically balnce the craft.

Senior Pilot
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Not all of the test programs included with the aeroquad library work. The ITG3200 and BMA180 worked for me. The magnetometer and barometer ones didn't work.

But it can detect that the sensors are there right?

Senior Pilot
    Reputation Points (Add)
    The core issue here is that a quadcopter is not self-stabilizing without the sensors. You basically won't be able to fly it. The IMU needs to make a huge number of throttle corrections every second in order to keep the thing stable in the air, and without that you'll need to do it by yourself. Which is something that is going to be extremely, extremely difficult.

I would instead suggest that you carefully examine your sensor shield for any shorts or damage, and if worst comes to worst, start removing the sensor modules from it one at a time until you find the one that's blown.

Moderator AeroQuad Technologist Honk's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Reputation Points (Add)
    If you don't wanna debug sensors and such (it seems), put the thing on a swivel bar and control it with the radio directly. Once you throttle up it will start to turn around itself and you'll see how impossible it would be with real flight with the biggest factors our human response time and the radio's PWM refresh rate both are being all too low. But it's fun as an experiment to show basic axis controls (hear/see the motors speed up/down by radio input).

I did this direct control on my first ever quad for the last project in high school. It was fun.
    Smart people don't need a signature.
    http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...rd-signs-3.jpg