Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

AeroQuad Configurator - A Couple of Questions

Hi,

I just obtained the latest Configurator v3.0.2Win and AeroQuad code v3.0.1. I currently have 2 questions.

First, I see where there are now selections for radio receiver being used. I have a Hitec receiver (FM Feedom 9S). The Hitec receiver selection is in two places. Which one do I use?

Second, I uploaded the AeroQuad flight software using the Configurator via USB cable. Everything, seemed to load just fine. However, now that I want to perform all the initial set-ups, I cannot connect using the USB cable. Is it because I have selected wireless telemetry. I had this same problem with the previous version. I did slide the dip switches on the XBee-Pro to the proper location for USB connection. But I still cannot connect with USB cable.

Thanks help any help offered up.

JW

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    More problems discovered. I can upload the flight software via the Configurator (v3.0.2Win) and USB cable. After that the USB cable doesn't work to connect to quad. Also, after installing newest software (Configurator v3.0.2Win and AeroQuad v3.0.1) the XBee Pro no longer works. This was working up until the time I uploaded the newest flight software. Note: I've not been able to connect via USB cable since converting over to the new v3 software from a few weeks ago. I didn't worry about it because the XBee Pros were talking just fine. Does anyone know how to overcome this issue? Thanks, JW

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Please provide more information about what Arduino you're using... Each Arduino has certain quirks.

As far as I know that receiver is not a PPM receiver, so you just need to define that you want 8 channels, not 6. Those other receiver definitions are for PPM receivers.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    It wasn't clear if you're trying to do this, but you've never been able to upload software using the XBee. I personally took off my XBee shield until I got everything working correctly over the USB cable. Then I put the XBee back on and got it working again. Everything in the Configurator seems to run fine over XBee except the ability to upload code. Call me paranoid but I don't trust those switches on the XBee shield.

For me, the 111111 baud rate hack stopped working in 3.0 and I've had to go down to 57600 to get reliable data transfer.

AeroQuad Lead Software Architect Kenny9999's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post
    It wasn't clear if you're trying to do this, but you've never been able to upload software using the XBee. I personally took off my XBee shield until I got everything working correctly over the USB cable. Then I put the XBee back on and got it working again. Everything in the Configurator seems to run fine over XBee except the ability to upload code. Call me paranoid but I don't trust those switches on the XBee shield.

For me, the 111111 baud rate hack stopped working in 3.0 and I've had to go down to 57600 to get reliable data transfer.
    XBee are for serial communication, not for firmware upload/flash? this is simply not designed to do this. I saw someone that have hack XBee to upload, but, it require some hardware switch/jumper, something like that and it's at 9600 baud max if I recall correctly
    Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks Guys,

Here's what I'm running:

2560 Mega - the shield is v 2.0.x (I'm at work and I don't remember what that last digit is ... I think 7 ... but not sure.

Anytime I upload software I used USB cable. But I was having problems so I tried the XBee. I was unaware of the limitations you mentioned.

My main problem is this. I've installed the newest software and now I cannot connect to the quad. Since installing the v3.0 several weeks ago my USB method stopped working when making changes such as PID values. I could load the software from Aurduino with the cable but not communicate from the Configurator with the cable. No problem, I used wireless XBee to upload new PID values, etc. Well, XBee doesn't work now after installing the latest Configurator (v3.0.2). AND the USB cable doesn't work for anything except the initial upload of flight software from the Configurator. After that process, it's dead ... no ability to communicate. Surely, I'm not the only one with this problem. Thanks again for your help and ideas. I need to get this project finished as I have another build for unmanned airplane coming up.
    Last edited by wasojj; 02-22-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Administrator AeroQuad Founder Mikro's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Hey wasojj, please just use USB for now until everything is sorted out. Please check here for a solution found by another user: http://aeroquad.com/showthread.php?4...ll=1#post43574

If you have the newer Mega 2560 R3, they changed the auto reset feature which causes different behavior with external apps connecting to the AeroQuad. Please let us know how it goes.

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks Mikro for your reply. It makes things a lot less frustrating knowing someone out there is aware of these problems. I can wait for things to get sorted out ... time is not that big of an issue. I have other projects I can work on while you guys figure it out. I know nothing about programming ... just flying RC stuff. I just don't want to waste anymore time thinking I'm doing something wrong. I think I've read all the posts and tried all the things that seem to have worked for others ... but to no success. If it may help, here's what I'm experiencing. I have Mega 2560 (not Rev 3). The shield is 2.0.7. I've got the latest Arduino software/drivers. I've got the latest Configurator (v3.0.2Win) and I have the latest AeroQuad code (v3.0.1). I can only use the USB cable to upload the Flight Software from the Configurator. It will not work to communicate with the quad. Actually this problem start several weeks ago when I downloaded and installed the new 3.0 stuff (first versions). That's when the USB cable communication issue arose. However, the XBee communication worked just fine so I didn't get too upset. Now, this week, when I went to the all the latest stuff you guys published I can only upload the flight software. The USB cable nor the XBee work to allow communication with my quad. I think I've tried everything posted here that seems to have worked for others, but with no success. I've checked the XBees with X-CTU. Communication with both XBees is "OK". I've tried changing port and baud rate settings in Device Manager. Nothing doing. I changed all the baud rate settings in AeroQuad.h and uploaded each ... nothing doing. I've re-set the Arduino Mega 2560 and the XBees ... nothing doing. I don't know what else to do but wait. Thanks, JW