Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

combined telemetry / FPV / serial wireless connection?

Is there any device out there that can handle all of the above? I just think it seems kind of silly to have a quad carrying a reciever, and 3 different transmitters... an xbee for monitoring/calibrating, a fpv for video, and a telemetry system.

this is a world of technology. we can send just about everything and anything over a single wireless connection these days (cell phone, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc etc..) Why do we still have our quads looking like a 1980's police cruiser with the 30 different antenna?

isnt there one transmitter that can handle the bandwidth of all 3? so we dont have to have all that weight, and have the systems all fighting with eachother?

Moderator AeroQuad Core Software Developer kha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Usually two radios are needed in minimum.

1) Radio for control/telemetry - two way digital link
    2) Video downlink - analog

In theory digital communication link could be used for video too, but the delay caused by video compression/decompression is normally too much for FPV.

For the control link I'm currently testing 'OpenLRS' which is a 433Mhz duplex with quite good range (due to low frequency).

I presonally don't use the xbees; when I need to use configurator I have the cable. The current flight software allows tuning via video OSD so the laptop is unnecessary on field.