Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Question Remove the ESC and have some circuit board manage the throttle?

Would it be possible to remove the ESCS from a multicopter setup and replace them with a 1 single circuit board to throttle all the engines? I have a 8 motor setup wich is 8 ESCS wich is 8times the way and 8 times the possibility of failure or broken down ESCS.

For the price those ESCS costs coudent we design a circuit board that manages to throttle the motors from any setup by itselfs? I believe draganfly company is using this they have a very small circuit board that controls the motors thus saving many weight and room for faillure.

Not sure if this is possible , but i try to minimize the eSC best removing them all together since it costing to much weight and room. Anyone an idea on this?! thx

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    to control the speed of a brushless motor you need an esc.

AeroQuad Lead Software Architect Kenny9999's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    A better solution IMO is to use I2C ESC!
    Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Kenny, its still an esc.... He was looking for an all in one board instead of separate components. The problem with that: if a part fails, the whole board is a goner. Right now, you just replace individual esc's.

As for the I2C esc..... PLEASE show me that the motor/prop rpm can change at 400hz+. I don't think it can, so what is the point of an esc that can output at that speed?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorrie View Post
    For the price those ESCS ... best removing them all together since it costing to much weight and room.
    trying to build a speed controller from discrete parts would cost you more than a standard ESC

look at what you need X8:

If you are looking to save money, get something ready to fly.

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Okay Shame thats not an option,

My thought was to have all the ESCS in 1 board maybe, but if the board fries out it will certainly crash down.
    My second idea is to stripp the ESCS from all parts and make a clean light weight housing for them to save some room and weight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth View Post
    As for the I2C esc..... PLEASE show me that the motor/prop rpm can change at 400hz+. I don't think it can, so what is the point of an esc that can output at that speed?
    your totally right! My point is, since I2C ESC have address on the bus, we can have more than 4 or 6, depending on how many timer are available! Still, updating I2C ESC take also some time on the bus.

But, about the update speed, From my experiences, I don't see the point anymore to have I2C ESC!!
    Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    I personally prefer 4 esc's ..

for the simple fact that its cheaper to replace if one bruns up ..Also the are power regulators , which do best when cooled. with 4 , you can put them out under the air stream. If its all in one , you cant.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevo View Post
    I personally prefer 4 esc's ..

for the simple fact that its cheaper to replace if one bruns up ..Also the are power regulators , which do best when cooled. with 4 , you can put them out under the air stream. If its all in one , you cant.
    I agree with him I prefer 4 PWM esc now, I can't remember having one of my Turnigy ESC failing nor those cheap hextronik motors

New Recruit
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    divide and rule, I think it's better a minor failure and not a major fault

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast