Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

itg3200 problems

After having crashed last flight and replacing the obviously broken motor I found my 1.8 shield would no longer connect to my PC. Removing the shield the arduino connects ok. With the shield on I notice first that the power supply components of the arduino are getting hot... then feeling the other components the itg3200 is also hot. I have removed the itg3200 and everything connects and seems fine.

I am out of my depth and full of questions..... Do these things break due to physical shock or is it more likely that something else has shorted? and fried the itg? Am I wrongly assuming the itg is a gonner? What should I check before purchasing or connecting up a replacement?

Flight Cadet
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfTea View Post
    After having crashed last flight and replacing the obviously broken motor I found my 1.8 shield would no longer connect to my PC. Removing the shield the arduino connects ok. With the shield on I notice first that the power supply components of the arduino are getting hot... then feeling the other components the itg3200 is also hot. I have removed the itg3200 and everything connects and seems fine.

I am out of my depth and full of questions..... Do these things break due to physical shock or is it more likely that something else has shorted? and fried the itg? Am I wrongly assuming the itg is a gonner? What should I check before purchasing or connecting up a replacement?
    ITG3200 has about 10,000g shock tolerance. I don't think shock would fry the chip. You might want to check if you have moistre gathered around the ITG3200 sensor chip from the crash? As well as any unwanted short with a multimeter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    I'd look at the board and connections carefully, look for possible broken traces or solder points that may have gotten loose. Grab that multimeter and start measuring. When things get to hot, disconnect power and let it sit for a bit, then continue after it cools.

Moderator AeroQuad Technologist Honk's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    After you have measured voltages on the chips pins (access them with small probe on the board) and confirmed correct voltages are read as per the schematic/dataseet, and it still doesn't work, then I would assume the pads of the ITG has been warped and some or many of them might have lost contact with the breakout board. Then the solution is to reflow (reheat) the entire BoB in your home oven. It took me about 2-3 minutes as 230 degrees celsius and have fixed several of my boards that way.
    Smart people don't need a signature.
    http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...rd-signs-3.jpg

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks guys

c4 is physically damaged (about 1/3 of it gone)

the DMM continuity test tells me vcc and gnd are shorted

when I put 3.3v on vcc I measure 1.5v with the DMM

I need to get some pointier probes and a big magnifying glass to test the pins on the chip itself but they are not all at either 0v or 1.5v

Even more confused and not knowing what else to do I tried the oven... no change

well it did make the BOB a slightly darker red on top