Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Administrator AeroQuad Founder Mikro's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

AeroQuad Store Now Sells HobbyWing ESC's!

Hey guys, I've been hating that we've been dependent on Hobby King for ESC's, so I was able to strike up a deal to get us some HobbyWing ESC's! These are 30A ones to handle large and small motors and they are compatible with the AeroQuad Configurator ESC calibration. In fact, I believe the Turnigy ones are based on the HobbyWing ESC's. I got a boat load and have a great relationship with our supplier, so I'm expecting to keep them in stock longer than the Hobby King ones. Check 'em out at:
    https://www.aeroquadstore.com/Produc...Code=ESC%2D001

Also, I'm carrying 3.5mm bullet connectors for your convenience:
    Male - https://www.aeroquadstore.com/Produc...ode=CONN%2D011
    Female - https://www.aeroquadstore.com/Produc...ode=CONN%2D012

Thanks for everyone's continued support of the AeroQuad store! It enables us to re-invest to make more options available for you to choose from.

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    What about making available Deans connectors? I use a lot of them and they work well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    It's definitely possible and I've been contemplating it for awhile. The thing is I HATE with a passion soldering up Deans connectors... and I also hate unplugging my Deans connectors after a flight... some of mine a really tight. I've been using Anderson Powerpoles lately and REALLY like it. It's crimped on for easier installation, and it's possible to disconnect/reconnect with one hand, while still maintaining a tight enough hold. I no longer have doubts if I have a cold solder joint with my Deans connections, or if they are too hard to connect/disconnect. The drawbacks I see to it, is that it's not standard, and requires the user to buy their crimper, the cost is higher than Deans or EC2. Any other opinions out there?

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikro View Post
    It's definitely possible and I've been contemplating it for awhile. The thing is I HATE with a passion soldering up Deans connectors... and I also hate unplugging my Deans connectors after a flight... some of mine a really tight. I've been using Anderson Powerpoles lately and REALLY like it. It's crimped on for easier installation, and it's possible to disconnect/reconnect with one hand, while still maintaining a tight enough hold. I no longer have doubts if I have a cold solder joint with my Deans connections, or if they are too hard to connect/disconnect. The drawbacks I see to it, is that it's not standard, and requires the user to buy their crimper, the cost is higher than Deans or EC2. Any other opinions out there?
    at least you didnt pick ec3's I hate them with a passion. I would switch from deans If I found a connector I liked. and powerpoles seem to be the next best thing. I'd have to buy a lot of em though cause I have a lot of things that are deans currently
    I mounted a switch on my quad for turning bat power off and on and as my quad only uses about 25amps avg, it should be fine

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks for the correction, thought it was EC2, but did a quick Google and the right sized ones for our current output is EC3. Why did you specifically not like EC3? They are much easier to solder than Deans?

I haven't converted everything over to Anderson Powerpoles yet, so I got some Deans pigtails, and just crimped on the Powerpoles and made an adapter for now.

When I have time, I'll look at sourcing Deans, EC3 and Powerpoles for now.

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikro View Post
    Thanks for the correction, thought it was EC2, but did a quick Google and the right sized ones for our current output is EC3. Why did you specifically not like EC3? They are much easier to solder than Deans?

I haven't converted everything over to Anderson Powerpoles yet, so I got some Deans pigtails, and just crimped on the Powerpoles and made an adapter for now.

When I have time, I'll look at sourcing Deans, EC3 and Powerpoles for now.
    I had all kinds of hassles soldering on ec3's I destroyed like 4 of em tryin to put em together..
    deans were easy to solder for me. powerpoles I like the way they look though. and they seem to be nice, I have a rc eagle that they used em on.. but I might get some power poles to switch over

Moderator AeroQuad Technologist Honk's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Well, my opinion will always be strict Deans of many reasons. Firsly because I've based my battery powered electronics on it. But secondly because they are robust and I trust them.

About soldering: fasten the (pre-tinned, that you do before) plug to be soldered with adhesive "clay", also called BluTack to a table, then solder with wire (with a buffer of solder already applied to it) in left hand, and soldering iron in right hand makes for easy soldering.

About removal: tie a nylon thread (sewing thread) on both plugs between the two wires. Then you can just pull your fingers into those 2 loops and removal is easy as pie.
    Smart people don't need a signature.
    http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...rd-signs-3.jpg

Senior Pilot
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)
    Thanks for the nylon thread idea. I will try that. I do agree with you that Deans are not hard to solder if you pre-tin them first.