Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Camera Stabilization

Hi Mikro, I wanted to ask you about your progress with the camera stabilization stuff.
    AeroQuad Camera Stabilization Test #2
    I looked back at the post you made on RCgroups earlier http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=624 and had another thought. Now I'm not sure which board you implemented that for, but would it be possible to include that code on Duemilanove board? I would like to build a simple setup which maybe for now just controls the pitch level of the camera, having only one servo for that. Also, did you use any other hardware other than a servo and what exactly is that whole setup made of? Thanks.

Felix

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Re: Camera Stabilization

Also, I ordered this cheap wireless camera http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210663753 or http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT . The thing is, I haven't figured out yet how to record the video output from the receiver. It will come with an audio/video (yellow and white) cable but that's about it. Does anyone know of any converter or recorder box which will be able to hook up those cables to a computer through USB maybe so the video can be recorded. The only method I know of right now is to connect it to a TV or a VCR to view the video but that's about it. I need to be able to record it as well. I thought my camcorder will be able to record the output from the receiver, but the camcorder only actually has an video out feature and not video in :-\

Thanks for any replies.

Administrator AeroQuad Founder Mikro's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Felix,
    Although I did the proof of concept on a Duemilanove, I had small jitter problems. I believe I need to use a PWM output to make it work, and all of those pins were taken up already on the Duemilanove, which is why I'll be retesting them on the Mega. When I get time, I'll take a second look at any other ways we can make it work for the Duemilanove.

With regards to a recording device for your in-flight video, just head on to your local Best Buy or Fry's Electronics (if you have one in your area) and look for video recording devices that connect to your computer via USB. Here's an example:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pinnacle...&skuId=8853797

You can check out more expensive ones if you want the better video editing software, etc.

Just FYI, the wireless camera I got has 500mW output and I also needed a patch antenna to get good video at higher altitudes. Hopefully you'll be able to get some good range out of it (I couldn't tell what the output power was from our links).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Mikro, the wireless camera that I ordered (in previous post) is somewhat poor in radio TX/RX. It came with a rubber duct receiving antenna and a small wire antenna on the camera. The signal is horrible, having trouble receiving within a room which has objects (tables, chairs, etc). I've removed the original RX antenna and inserted a 30" 16gauge wire and the reception became much much better, but still I think it will not be enough outside.

Do you think it is possible to tweak the transmitter on the camera to increase the signal power? I measured the total power consumption of the camera, and it was about 130mA max at 7.8v, meaning about 1.01 watts, of which I would say probably less than a quarter is going to actual radio signal. I haven't opened the camera up, but would try to do that if you or anyone else knows how to tweak it to output say 500mW or more of power. Maybe a simple amplifier device could be constructed? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Also, does anyone know of a wireless camera system, such as this http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...a2c972ae72f44e (Mikro's) but with more transmitting power, say maybe 2-5 watts. Why couldn't they make these same systems only with more power. My hand-held VX-7R radio (HAM) has an approximate range of 30 miles, so a 2 or even 3 watt camera system would be awesome, at least until there is a way to extend the quad's radio transmitter range.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Felix, even with the 500mW system I bought, I still had range issues. The one thing that improved the whole system was to get a patch antenna. Here's a similar one I found at Range Video for you: http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...a2c972ae72f44e

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikro
    Felix, even with the 500mW system I bought, I still had range issues. The one thing that improved the whole system was to get a patch antenna. Here's a similar one I found at Range Video for you: http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...a2c972ae72f44e
    Thanks Mikro, I will try to find a system that has more output power. If there is no such system, then it will have to be this one plus a patch antenna.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Mikro, just one more thing. Could you please weigh your camera system for me? I mean just the stuff that goes on board, camera and transmitter. Thanks and happy holidays.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

I'll weigh it, but just off the top of my head, I think my camera weight was on the order of 200 grams.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reputation Points (Add)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikro
    I'll weigh it, but just off the top of my head, I think my camera weight was on the order of 200 grams.
    Woah, are you serious. Are you sure that is the correct camera, I mean the Aerial Video System from RangeVideo, the camera and the transmitter. I would have though they would be around 50 grams or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast