PDA

View Full Version : QTD- Quad Tilt Duino (Standard airplane version)

RCvertt
12-11-2009, 09:01 AM
First hover tests using motor tilt for yaw control.
AeroQuad (QTD) HoveringUsingMotorTiltNoGyro.AVI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHSL_hQZv0&feature=player_embedded#)

Motor yaw tilt
AeroQuad (QTD) MotorYawTilt.AVI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYRRXWbXGio&feature=related#)

Looking at the vids now, it looks like I might have had too much left yaw trim in there.

Feliksayk
12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't know how you did it, but it's pretty nice. Keep us updated on your progress. :)

RCvertt
12-12-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm surprised it works as well as it does since I'm not using a gyro on the yaw channel yet. A gyro should help with that and this was just my first battery getting used to how this ship hovers with the airplane body on it.

Mikro
12-18-2009, 07:15 AM
WOW! Can't wait to see how this baby moves from hover to forward flight! Is there a reason why you don't use the normal way to yaw by adding/reducing power to opposite rotors? Is it just for preparation to move the motors from hovering to pointing forward for flight?

It looks pretty impressive seeing that airplane body left up VTOL style!

RCvertt
12-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks.

Is there a reason why you don't use the normal way to yaw by adding/reducing power to opposite rotors?...

Normal yaw didn't work for this version because the frame twisted too much length wise. As shown in the image the twisting from yaw control caused the thust from the props to counter act the motor torque, leaving me with basically no yaw control. Motor tilting doesn't appear to be affected by the twisting as much. I actually had too much yaw control after switching to motor tilting. Making the H fram ridgid enough add to much weight.

As long as the tilt servos can handle it, I'd like to see if we can remove the ailerons and just use motor tilting for roll in forward flight to help save some weight.
I'll see if the flying wing version will be more ridgid so I can use motor torque again as well.

Mikro
12-23-2009, 08:01 AM
OK... I took your request to have at least 4 servo outputs available in the new shield. Hopefully that will help with the QTD development!

RCvertt
12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
OK... I took your request to have at least 4 servo outputs available in the new shield. Hopefully that will help with the QTD development!
Thanks but I just saw the movie Avatar and it looks like I may have to put the QTD project on hold for a second.

I really want an Avatar Dragon which is where the QTD development is basically at :)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3881547/avatar_the_movie_watch_avatar_special_cg_transport _vehicles/
(http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3881547/avatar_the_movie_watch_avatar_special_cg_transport _vehicles/)

I'll still need the extra servo outputs for either project.

Feliksayk
02-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Hey RCvett, how's your progress on this. I kinda recently had a brief desire to (someday) build an airplane type quadcopter. How's your build going? Have you stopped?

RCvertt
02-21-2010, 03:15 AM
Hey RCvett, how's your progress on this. I kinda recently had a brief desire to (someday) build an airplane type quadcopter. How's your build going? Have you stopped?
Thanks for checking in.
At 1800g this version was too heavy for me to justify more tests with it, so it's been destroyed. I know of a similar build that weighed 700g RTF so there is a lot of weight I can shed apparently. I might have to go with a built up balse structure but I'd like to see if an easier mod to an existing foam airplane with work as well.

I'm currently making another UltraFlyer version to see how much lighter it turns out. I've also wanted to experiment with using motor commands for yaw while in forward flight and have the code for that working now.

Had a couple months there where I couldn't work on it but we're back in business now.

So it's still going ;)
------------------------------

...were you able to ever get the thing to fly forward from the hover?...Never tried it. If the weight of this next version is about 1000 grams, then I'll give it a try before I shed more weight.

Previous version had 7 servos, 2 vtail mixers, ailerons, rudder and a 4000mah battery. For this next version I plan to have the same control with just two servos, no vtail mixers, ailerons or rudder and have a 2200mah battery which will save me about 350g. Not sure where the other 600g is going to come from yet. Maybe use less glue ;D

Feliksayk
02-21-2010, 04:47 AM
That's great news, thanks for the update. One more question though, were you able to ever get the thing to fly forward from the hover? There's just so much dynamics involved in that, it's scary. You'd need to reduce the quad power as you increase the forward thrust, but so many aerodynamic forces are at work during that time. However, this is a good project because it can potentially combine the VTOL capability of the quad with the efficient forward flight of an airplane. 8)

Mikro
02-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Yes, I always thought this was an outstanding idea. For multicopters, you ALWAYS have to have all the motors running to keep it in the air. If RCvertt get's it light enough, we can potentially have the VTOL ability, then glide in the air for extra flight endurance. I wanna build one too!

I was too busy at the time, to write about it when RCvertt first brought it up. I geeked out when I watched Avatar... I fell out of my chair when I saw the Dragon (looks like a quadrocopter, for coaxial rotors) and the Scorpion (two coaxial rotors on a swivel). I've been wondering if a big enough model kit of it has come out... we can definitely work on making it fly!!!

RCvertt
10-29-2011, 04:10 AM
...If RCvertt get's it light enough...FoamAndTape finally came up with a light enough frame.

I ported a very old, simplistic version of my 1.7.1 AeroQuad QTD code to the MultiWii for him. I'm surprised it worked as well as it did since it does a hard switch between flight modes. I just spent all night figuring out a way to fade the controls in and out between transitions so the hard switching is now gone.

Thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1506613&page=6#post19724102

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwIbO2DgrsA&feature=player_embedded