PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A REAL flight!

asifjahmed
12-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Here is one of my first outdoor flights. Note that it is quite windy and around freezing outside:

Feliksayk
12-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Ohh, sorry, looks like you already did post a video, thanks. Also, awesome flight there, I wanted to test fly mine since yesterday but it was raining/snowing and today was very windy here. Congrats though, very nice flight.

Arthur P.
12-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Here is one of my first outdoor flights. Note that it is quite windy and around freezing outside:

Nice going AsifJAhmed !! Bet your fingers didn;t really agree :D

I flew in temperatures down to -9C with winds of about 25km/h last winter. Had switched to flying thumb + index finger instead of thumbs only when moving from planes to multikopters. And found that I couldn't do that wearing gloves. So I would last at most 5 minutes outside under those conditions before I couldn't feel my fingers anymore which of course makes flying a bit tricky. This year I-m going to try some really cheap gardening gloves. They have this little rubberized spots on them which give a grip which is more or less similar to normal dry skin. They aren't very thick but anything should be better than no gloves under freezing conditions.

asifjahmed
12-07-2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks - yeah, my hands/fingers were quite numb. Had to thaw out for awhile afterwards ;D

Mikro
12-07-2009, 08:44 AM
CONGRATS! Nice quad you got there. I should have asked before, but what did your all up weight (AUW) end up being? How much flight time do you typically get?

asifjahmed
12-07-2009, 02:20 PM
My current AUW is 1.2kg (no camera/video tx yet).

I don't have any sort of LVC implemented yet, so I am currently just keeping my flights short. Using a FlightMax 3000mah 3S1P lipo.

-Jamie

Feliksayk
12-08-2009, 10:19 PM
So here's my first flight (that is first for the 5th Quad). Super stable compared to the previous frames that I had. The all up weight is 1500grams and the motor-to-motor distance is 64cm.

Quadcopter 5 - First test flights (DEC082009) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDoseZM1ck#)

asifjahmed
12-09-2009, 12:19 AM
So here's my first flight (that is first for the 5th Quad). Super stable compared to the previous frames that I had. The all up weight is 1500grams and the motor-to-motor distance is 64cm.

Quadcopter 5 - First test flights (DEC082009) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDoseZM1ck#)

Very nice! Your flight towards the end there was looking pretty stable (except for the crash ;D). However, it looks like you could tune your PID loops a bit better. Try increasing P a bit.

Keep us posted!

-Jamie

Feliksayk
12-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Very nice! Your flight towards the end there was looking pretty stable (except for the crash ;D). However, it looks like you could tune your PID loops a bit better. Try increasing P a bit.

Keep us posted!

-Jamie

Yeah, the flight was stable, much more stable than I had in previous versions, the crash was kinda my fault. And the white thing that looks like it broke off, didn't, just came off (and interfered with the prop, breaking it). I made sure that it is a little more secure for next time. I guess will wait for another day when the combination of free time and good weather match to do more flights. I am still learning to pilot however, so that's a minus for stability :D

The PIDs in these flights where
Pitch: P=3.75, D=-10
Roll: P=3.5, D=-10
Yaw: P=12, D=0
TX Factor = 0.20

This is the highest setting of P's that I had without oscillations (previously) so I guess I will try to avoid getting it much higher, maybe just a little.

RCvertt
12-09-2009, 02:15 AM

Looking good there. What are your PID setting and ready to fly weight?

Mikro
12-09-2009, 06:41 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know you've been patient and working hard on your quad... looks like all your effort has paid off. Since the weight and length is similar to one of mine, the P I use for that one is between 4 to 4.5 for both pitch and roll. If you start getting those fast oscillations, try decreasing D to between -12 to -15.

When first learning, it helps to have the quad trimmed as best as possible. My first few moments of flight, I try not to put much pilot input and see where the quad drifts. I either adjust the trims in real time, or if you're not comfortable with that yet, do a quick landing, adjust the trims, then start flying again.

HAVE FUN!