PDA

View Full Version : TRICOPTER FLIGHT VIDEO / Aeroquad v1.7.1 modified and Configurator v 2.3.1

SAKURANOKI
08-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Hello, after flying a while with my Quad "Aeroquad v1.7.1" I decided to try a Tricopter to see the difference in flight. Here is the result in a video :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HugXGinyjsA I modified slightlly the Aeroquad 1.7.1 for the tricopter use. I'm using the free motor output to connect directlly a digital servo and I'm running the servo and the 3 ESC at 333Hz which is fast enough to have a crisp and precise response of the ESC. I increased from 10Hz to 50Hz the reading of the receiver input to have a fast response to my sticks input and a smooth movement of the servo.

Thank you to everyone that helped me and made this forum a usefull source of informations.

Kenny9999
08-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Really impressive!

Honk
08-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Really nice flying and it seems very stable. How have you isolated the sensors from vibration and are you using the "standard" AeroQuad sensors?

Also, how did you make the amp/kmh meter? Is it real time telemetry or calculated from saved values from EEPROM?

SAKURANOKI
08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Really nice flying and it seems very stable. How have you isolated the sensors from vibration and are you using the "standard" AeroQuad sensors?

Also, how did you make the amp/kmh meter? Is it real time telemetry or calculated from saved values from EEPROM?

Hello Honk,

Yes it's very very stable and very precise on the YAW axis without all the limitations of the QUAD YAW system no RPM changes when using the YAW axis always the full power available on the 3 engines (you need not much tilt angle on yaw that you don't lose any noticeable vertical thrust on the rear motor at full YAW). I love it :) and it's a real pleasure to pilot it, you can do perfectly balanced turn easily.

Yes I'm using the standard IXZ-500 & IMU 5 Degrees of Freedom

I have screwed the electronic Arduino board on a small plate of wood and I'm using this Kyosho Zeal Vibration Absorption Gyro/Reciever Mounting Gel KYOZ8006 to attached it to my Tricopter and remove the vibrations. It's the best vibration absorption material I've found on the market. I'm using the same to isolate my digital camera from the Tricopter vibrations.

I would love to try FPV too. This Tricopter would be great for it.

I will post my modified Firmware v1.7.1 and my settings in the Tricopter forum.

I haven't adjusted the gain yet I'm still flying with the default values (maybe I will end up to keep the default ones)...

Regards,

Sakuranoki

SAKURANOKI
08-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Sorry I forgot to answer this,

I've recorded it with the Eagle tree E-logger With GPS attached to it and then just played pack it on the provided software while recording it with a free video on-screen capture software. Then inserted it in my video.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to make something similar by using the Arduino and the EEPROM.

Best Regards,

SAKURANOKI

Honk
08-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the answers! Nice that you have found that vibration dampening material. I have only had success with hanging the board up in rubber bands so far, and I've tried lots of things. So that gel is like a "solid" square piece?

Ok, just curious of the amp things. I am going to do an amp-meter that goes into the Arduino itself in the future but other things are priority right now. You probably could use that Eagle tree GPS into the Arduino if you knew where the serial connections of it were. ArduCopter is working with GPS support for the time being as I have understood it.

pyjamasam
08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok, just curious of the amp things. I am going to do an amp-meter that goes into the Arduino itself in the future but other things are priority right now. You probably could use that Eagle tree GPS into the Arduino if you knew where the serial connections of it were. ArduCopter is working with GPS support for the time being as I have understood it.

This is what I am using for my quad.
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9028

It gives you 2 analog outs. Voltage and Current. With those two it will be super easy to make a fuel gauge.

Right now on my APM/Oilpan I am using the 7th input on the 12bit ADC for my height sensor (ultrasonic) and will be using 2 of the ATMega 1280's analog in's for this current and voltage sensor.

chris.

Honk
08-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes, that circuit seems nice and small. In the future I have plans on putting a high current FET in series with the battery and the rest of the system so I can monitor current through that and also auto-shutoff the whole thing from software. Voltage sensing is already there by using standard resistor dividers, it is a very easy part.

Goal is of course to make it auto-land nicely when juice has run out.

pyjamasam
08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Goal is of course to make it auto-land nicely when juice has run out.
I am hoping to get it to estimate its "fuel" usage and turn back when its figured out that its gone almost to far to return safely :-)

But enough future chit chat. Back on topic. That damn tri copter is WICKED! Its very stable. Nice job.

chris.

Jeroen
08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
this ....... thi.. this........ is just amazing !!! realy i wuld love to know the code ..... ( if willing to charge of course )

J.

tobias
09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi, I'm up to building a tricopter controlled by an arduino pro mini and a sparkfun 6 dof board. My electrical hardware seems to fit the aeroquad software pretty well, except for the fact that it is a tricopter, not a quad.

I have dug into the code a bit and found the motor mixing part and I guess all I have to do to get started is to create a new configuation (next to the X and + ones) and a function processFlightControlTriMode (or something like that) and do a custom motor mixing. I guess I could figure out what this mixing should look like but I would feel much more confident if I could see your code or at least get some feedback.

Btw. My mechanical construction is pretty much inspired by this one: http://www.rcexplorer.se/projects/tricopterv25/tricopterv25.html. I have 3D-printed a similar yaw hinge - hope it will hold! :-|

Thanks in advance for any help!
/Tobias

tobias
09-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi again, I found another thread and it seems like I'm on the right track: http://aeroquad.com/showthread.php?3193-aeroquad-tricopter&highlight=tricopter. It would still be nice to see what you did - it actually flies, and that proofs that you made something very right :-).