PDA

View Full Version : First flight with GoPro camera attached

Boolander
08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I didn't shoot in high-def though, just standard def for now.
Only got it up to around 70 feet or so, still trying to get the courage up to go higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLFgif4Lwk

coda vex
08-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Really nice man. I've just started to explore this site and thinking about trying to tackle one of these but those pictures are awesome. Good job!

Honk
08-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Nice footage. I'm a bit obsessed with camera mounting, have not found a good way yet.

Didn't quite see in the first picture, but is the camera only mounted on top of a sponge, or what is making the picture so free of vibration? Tried without any vibration isolation?

Kevinv033
08-04-2010, 03:17 AM
Cool! What did you use to mount the camera?

Boolander
08-04-2010, 02:03 PM
The GoPro camera is inside the protective case with the built-in mount on it, and believe it or not, it's just taped to the center frame of the quad. I had rigged up the long landing gear you see in the video to accommodate a camera mount underneath, but i wanted to just see how the camera worked and just slapped it on the quad with some masking tape (the green stuff under the camera) - and it seemed to work pretty well. Seems like the less I think about how to do something on the quad, the better it works!

CupOfTea
08-05-2010, 05:13 AM
A guy showed me a GoPro camera in a bike shop the other day... He said size difference between camera's ccd and the captured image was bigger than normal video camera.... Apparently they are designed for image stabilization in very shakey environments like motorcycle racing. The one he showed me had a vacuum sucker attachement to mount it on the side of a gas tank.

Boolander
08-07-2010, 06:44 PM
The reason I bought the GoPro camera is because I can use it almost anywhere for anything. It's shockproof, waterproof, and the video quality is the best I've seen in this range of "actions cams", shoots full HD, and I like the wide field of view.

Honk
08-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Nice, then you don't have to worry about any of those things really... Only trouble we seen to have is vibration which it did good on.

Any way of getting the camera signal out of it live? I mean for sending wireless to FPV display?

Mikro
08-08-2010, 03:49 AM
Nice flying! Looks like you got your quad dialed in very good! How much does the GoPro typically run for? I'd also be interested to know if it provides a camera signal out too.

Boolander
08-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the comments - as long as there is little or no wind, the quad flies very well. Although I am noticing that when I descend, it comes down FAST and wobbles a lot.
I bought the "Surf Hero Kit" of the GoPro camera for $269. It came with the basic camera kit plus a mount for surfboards, and then I just bought a bunch of extra misc. mounts for about $15. There is no video out...yet. There is a connector on the back for future accessories, one of which will be a mini lcd display, so i imagine there will eventually be some way to get a video out signal. That would be nice since I am looking into FPV systems and having just one camera on board would be better than two.
Here is another video I shot last night, I got the quad up a little higher than before - I'm getting braver!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB1A-zSMmRA

Edit- I just realized that there is an HD video out plug but I don't know if it can be hooked up to an transmitter or not. Hmmm, I'll have to look into that.