PDA

View Full Version : First Quad Build - First Flight - A Lot of Questions!

Boolander
07-21-2010, 01:33 AM
After flying helis for a while, I came across this site and became totally fascinated by these home-built quads. So here are videos of my first two flights. Below is my parts list and specs:
Arduino Duemilanove
5 DOF IMU
IXZ500 Gyro
Aeroquad 1.7 Shield
Turnigy 2217/20 860 kv motors
Turnigy 30A ESCs
APC 12" Props
Zippy 4400 and 2200 Lipos
Rhyno 610 Lipo
DX6i Radio with AR6100E Receiver
5/8" Towel Bars for Booms
1/8" Basswood for Center Frame
Motors are 32" Apart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eukIy4E9wtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbp-XZn1bs8

This thing is a blast to fly! Very different than helis, but seems to be more stable. I am running the "default" settings from the Configurator and doing all control changes through the radio. I have adjusted my throttle curve to hit 50% at quarter-stick, set my travels for aero and elev to 70% and rudder to 125%. This seems to work pretty good for me.

Since this is my first Quad, I do have quite a few questions for the veterans out there.

1) The Turnigy 2217 Motors: Anyone else have problems with crappy bearings?
2) There are random, and rather loud "clicking" sounds coming from the Quad - I can't tell if it's coming from the motors or the ESCs or what. Anyone else have this?
3) I assume it's just the nature of Quads and the Slo-Fly props, but the ground effects seem to be pretty bad below 5' - the Quad almost seems to be "sucked" towards the ground - is this normal?
4) I have set up my radio in Heli mode. Now, I have read that Quads should be set up in Airplane mode, but I tried that and it was almost uncontrollable. Any reason not to use Heli mode?
5) Are 12" props too large for the Turnigy 2217 motors?
6) Do I need to hook up the "gyro" channels (channels 5 and 6) to the board.
7) How "stable" are these things supposed to be? I do have to give constant input on the radio to keep it in one place (like helis) - is this normal?

I think that's all the questions I have for now and thanks for any help with the above!

AeroKey
07-21-2010, 03:57 AM
Hi Boolander,

I am really impressed with your quad. Its your first quad and its very stable. :) Congrats. Is it "X" mode (Design) or "+"?

1) The Turnigy 2217 Motors: Anyone else have problems with crappy bearings?
I havent tried this motor so i can't comment. But yes, you have to be very careful with them. If you bang them hard then...

2) There are random, and rather loud "clicking" sounds coming from the Quad - I can't tell if it's coming from the motors or the ESCs or what. Anyone else have this?
hmmm, I had the same problem on mine. But i couldn't figured out what was it. Have you checked everything is connected properly? Nothing is loosen? Bolts Nuts?

5) Are 12" props too large for the Turnigy 2217 motors?
Well, they suggested 11x4.7 Props.

7) How "stable" are these things supposed to be? I do have to give constant input on the radio to keep it in one place (like helis) - is this normal?

I think, you have pretty stable quad. But you can always improve your stability. You can connect your quad with computer and check how its behaving. And I think, yes constant input on the radio is required because of the wind force and keep in mind that this is still not fully developed platform yet.

Boolander
07-21-2010, 01:13 PM
AeroKey - Thanks for the reply! I am flying in X-Mode. I think I will try the 11" props, the 12" feel a little "sluggish" until I give it a lot of RPMs - this might explain the weird effects I get when at low throttle and near the ground.