PDA

View Full Version : AeroQuad 32 Flight Control Board (v1 + v2)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mikro
07-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Here's the official support thread for the new AeroQuad 32 Flight Control Board!

UPDATE: The latest version (v2) of the AeroQuad 32 Flight Control board has arrived!

It has been redesigned for ease of connection with your multicopter frame, yet exposes all the pins of the initial version for your own customization as desired! The new flight board has been upgraded to use the new HMC5983-TR for locked in heading hold and uses the trusted MPU6000 in SPI mode for ultra fast senor sampling for truly solid flight.

AQ32 v2 Board Overview.jpg|center|frame

Below you find some useful links which help you to get started with your AeroQuad32 flight control board.

Wiki page with technical details:
Technical Information (v2)
Technical Information (v1)

Wiki page with installation and uploading instructions:
Installation and uploading instructions

Where to buy:
AeroQuad Store (http://www.aeroquadstore.com/AeroQuad_32_Flight_Control_Board_Version_2_p/aq32-001.htm)

This board comes preloaded with the AeroQuad firmware. The driver installation package can be found below. For this version of the install package, please choose COM ports between 1-9:
Driver Package (http://aeroquad.googlecode.com/files/AeroQuad32Setup_v1.1.zip)

You can configure new flight software binaries using an easy to use webpage! After selecting the desired options, save the newly created binary and upload to your AeroQuad32 board:
AeroQuad32 web compiler (http://aeroquad.hautio.net/) (alternative (http://kari.hautio.net/AQ32/))

Please post any questions, pictures and videos here!

Mikro
07-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Also, sometimes for the first time when you need to put the board into programming or DFUSe mode, the software reset may not work as expected. To be able to load the USB STM bootloader drivers using the zadig tool (found in the driver installation package) you may need to short BOOT0 and VDD together (the pins are right above/below each other). As we get more mature with this board please post any questions here so that we can fix the documentation as we go along. Also I'm planning to have a more automated installer (although the current manual process is pretty easy).

If you are working with the board for the first time, don't forget that the firmware for Quad X is already loaded on your board. For this case, you can just install the Virtual COM Port drivers and connect to the Configurator right away. After you finish the calibrations, you should be able to fly!

Lithium
07-26-2012, 10:20 PM
The build site from kha gives an error.

Here is the link: http://kari.hautio.net/cgi-bin/buildAQ32.cgi?SWVERSION=branch_development&FLIGHTCONFIG=quadX&PPM=y&HEADING_MAG_HOLD=y&AH_BARO=y&USEGPS=y&USEGPS_NAVIGATOR=y&BATTMONITORCUSTOM=&OSD=y&OSDPAL=y&OSDCALLSIGN=&OSDAI=y&MISC=

And the error:

**** building AQ32 ****
make: Entering directory `/tmp/AQ32.12862/AeroQuad/BuildAQ32' Compiling C: ../AeroQuad32/MapleCompatibility/flash_stm32.c Compiling C++: ../AeroQuad32/AeroQuadMain.cpp In file included from /tmp/AQ32.12862/AeroQuad/AeroQuad32/AeroQuadMain.cpp:20:0: /tmp/AQ32.12862/AeroQuad/AeroQuad32/../AeroQuad/AeroQuad.ino:64:26: fatal error: FastSerial.h: No such file or directory compilation terminated. make: *** [objSTM32/dummy/../AeroQuad32/AeroQuadMain.o] Error 1 make: Leaving directory `/tmp/AQ32.12862/AeroQuad/BuildAQ32' **** Build failed; no cigar for you buddy ****
Wasted 14 seconds.

kha
07-26-2012, 10:31 PM
That is because the MAG is not working on the code.

What does not work currently:
- magnetic heading hold
- all GPS
- camera stabilizer

For example current sensors work just fine, here is what I put on the Custom box
3,BATT_ANALOG_INPUT,25.3,0,A6,33,0

This is good for flytron 50A sensor wired to ADC6 (limited to 33A by lower AREF)

Airwolf
07-26-2012, 11:00 PM
I updated the wiki (http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=Book:STM32-based+boards) with brief installation and uploading instructions. These will be extended when I receive my AeroQuad32 board. ;)

Mikro
07-26-2012, 11:14 PM
@Lithium, what Kha did at the end of the build page made me chuckle. If there is a problem with compilation it says, "
**** Build failed; no cigar for you buddy ****"

Sniperp
07-27-2012, 01:43 AM
i just intstalled the first part of the installer, virtual com port, but it never gave me a com port and when i look at my device manager it says this. any ideas6778
*edit* i just re ran the installer and had it "repair" the install and its working now

mmonti
07-27-2012, 01:44 AM
I am coming along in understanding the software build through the web interface. And have been able to load a new BIN ok.
OSD and Sonar is working.
The CPPM is working but the channel mapping is incorrect for the Futaba 9CAP.

A little help with fixing the mapping? If I can figure out how to build it locally and I think I can fix it. no luck with that yet.

I see a text box for custom inputs on the web builder, Can I fix the mapping there?

Thanks

Sniperp
07-27-2012, 02:36 AM
new problem, im trying to run the FlashDFUSeF4.bat and it just keeps looping on me. i editing the path to the file that was created on the webpage for me but maybe i put something in wrong.

set filename=%1%
if "%filename%" == "" set filename=C:\Users\Paul\aeroquad\AeroQuad32Setup\02 _FlashBinaries\AeroQuad32.19257.bin
:loop
..\dfu-util.exe --reset --device 0483:df11 --alt 0 --dfuse-address 0x08010000 --download %filename% || goto :loop
pause

mmonti
07-27-2012, 02:56 AM
I had to edit this line;
..\dfu-util.exe --reset --device 0483:df11 --alt 0 --dfuse-address 0x08010000 --download %filename% || goto :loop

To this;
dfu-util.exe --reset --device 0483:df11 --alt 0 --dfuse-address 0x08010000 --download %filename% || goto :loop

remove the ..\ and this worked for me.

Sniperp
07-27-2012, 03:10 AM
ok taking out the ../ seamed to work a bit better, it now doesn't just loop but now getting a new error.
*EDIT* ok it was another error on my part with a driver installation. but i got it now and its in the X8 mode. next question is Xbee setup and barameter setup. in the compiler i told it i want the barameter altitude hold but didnt see a section to test that out to make sure its working right.

mmonti
07-27-2012, 03:24 AM
In the "02_flashbinaries" Dir. run "reset" first, then do the "FlashDFUSeF4"

I think that worked for me.

Mikro
07-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Sorry! I thought I took out the extra "../" I'll rev the installer package.

Sniperp, if the flash software errors (or loops) you need to put the board into DFUSe mode first. Do it be running reset.bat, then run FlashDFUSeF4. In thinking about it maybe I just combine the two commands into one batch file. I'll look at that tonight (or maybe just build it into the Configurator).

mmonti
07-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Mikro;
Can you tell me how to remap the cppm channels for futaba?

kha
07-27-2012, 05:53 AM
I enabled the PPM channel order selection on the 'online builder'. I was just too lazy to originally put it in as I don't need it ;-).

mmonti
07-27-2012, 06:05 AM
I enabled the PPM channel order selection on the 'online builder'. I was just too lazy to originally put it in as I don't need it ;-).

Awesome, Thank you. Without that I could not get the 8th channel with this receiver.

Also, Sonar PID settings are saving in EEPROM. Nice !!!

Mikro
07-27-2012, 07:08 AM
I just updated the driver installer package to v1.1. This fixes the wrong path to find the dfu-util that Sniperp encountered. I think I can make a nice binary uploader and will put in the Configurator this weekend. I changed the original post with the right link to the new install package.

norem
07-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Should the OSD be functioning ?

kha
07-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Should the OSD be functioning ?

Yes OSD works.

Lithium
07-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Ah okey, didn't know those things do not work yet. Why do they not work? Are you planning to make them work?

norem
07-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanx kha just wanted to make sure it was something loose ;) it was...

SwiftingSpeed
07-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Ah okey, didn't know those things do not work yet. Why do they not work? Are you planning to make them work?
The AQ32 board is just a beta and not advertised as a stable product, it's not fully developed yet so you'll have to wait until all functions are working. At the moment the AQ32 is for those who want the latest, not necessary the greatest. Don't get me wrong, it will be great :)

And please, correct me if I'm wrong.

kha
07-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah I was doing the GPS like a month ago already but it resulted to be far greater effort than I was hoping due to the nature of the AP GPS library.

I.e. I was really trying to get it all work prior to release but something came up.

Feel free to take a look at fixing it me and Kenny et all will surely help.

Kenny9999
07-27-2012, 03:06 PM
One thing at the time my little padawan! actually, you're more the Jedi master when it come to make gps work!

AP Libraries is linked to something call fast serial and we have to remove that dependency to make it work, and it's not an easy task.

kha
07-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah I have done it pretty far actually. You can see what I have done on my github fork on gps rework branch.

Honk
07-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I think this is the appropriate thread. So I just wanna pop the question: how many are there using Futaba SBUS? I saw the question at some Wiki discussion here about the Baloo board, man I've never even noticed there's topics hidden within the Wiki!

Anyhow, Wooden asked for a UART RX inverter on some UART for easy SBUS connection. I'm thinking SBUS is just a cheap trick from Futaba to make money but still I have some SBUS receivers around and find them quite handy if it weren't for the annoying inverter UART mode. So I'm just gauging interest for a SBUS solder jumper on the Baloo board. It would just include a single transistor and a solder jumper on a UART on the board. It looks like we're doing a second run of the design layout wise because I screwed up on the LED driver transistors anyway.

xtrmtrk
07-27-2012, 08:55 PM
This is the only receiver (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F20684%5F%5FOrangeRx%5FR710%5FSpektrum%5FDSM2 %5FCompatible%5F7Ch%5Fw%5FFailsafe%5F.html) I've been buying lately, I have like 5 of them. I like the price and I like the performance; it works great with my Spektrum transmitter. It has what's claimed to be an S-BUS out. I've often thought it'd be great to just run one cable from that to my FC rather than the 7 usual ones.

I have no idea how compatible this is with the Futaba SBUS. If it works, I'd definitely be interested.

Honk
07-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Strange, I've never seen the Spektrum and SBUS combination... Might be worth a try. I'll see what I can do to the SBUS compability of the FC board. It's basically a matter of a resistor and a transistor to the BOM.

norem
07-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Not sure if this helps... but I have noted that the D2523T has an oddity with its setup at anything above 19200 it doesnt want to change baud rates higher than this with a text string, binary mode seems to be the only way to change baud higher than 19200, I have noticed that when Aeroquad fires up it, attempts to to communicate at 38400 to setup and

The D2523T defaults to 9600 and cannot have any config settings permanently stored to it without battery back up connected from what I have seen.

I do have to wonder if autodetection of the gps device attached, altho a neat idea,wouldn't it with all the possible default settings used be simpler to bite it, and deal with the 3 devices sold here and make it defined and tell the machine whats there ?

Just speaking from my scopes point of view...

norem
07-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I do have to wonder about the +5 out being exposed without some kind of protection, seeing as were not really supposed to use it for anything except the receiver (I had to replace D5 in less than 48 Hours due to a loose wire that slapped the +5 pin) altho I like the pin setup not installing the headers might be a good idea (altho the thought appreciated) , its easy while mucking about to bounce things into power, a thought comes to mind about why electrical outlets are designed the way ther are. maybe use female headers instead ?

Honk
07-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Not sure what you're saying really? You can attach female headers if you want if that's what why're saying.

Sniperp
07-27-2012, 11:24 PM
KHA - you get the GPS working on the baloo and I'd so can you let me know how to set it up. I don't need it for position hold or anything like that YET. Just would like it to relay position data to a map then down the road position hold and waypoint flying.

norem
07-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I think like that sorry ;) think I'm saying prolly easier to put the headers on than take them off ;) they were shipped headers on.

jihlein
07-28-2012, 03:19 AM
In the documentation, the picture of the board top that defines the pin outs, TX3 and RX3 are reversed from the board silkscreen.

kha
07-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Also FrSky is workking on nextgen system and it will have SBUS compatible output (got this info from frske techie). So good to have that.

Lithium
07-28-2012, 11:23 AM
It would be nice indeed if the gps can log the waypoints onto the sd card to see the flymap on the computer :)

RoyLB
07-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Sorry if this was posted and I just missed it - what compiler does the on-line build tool use?

Thanks
Roy

kha
07-28-2012, 05:11 PM
It uses the command line free version of code sourcery g++.

norem
07-28-2012, 05:48 PM
2 problems I'm having with my Baloo (hopefully theres a salve for it) ;)

1) My altitude on OSD is -16f configurator thinks its -5.1 they both go more positive as I lift the craft, how does one zero the altitude ?

Not sure if my existing altitude (has anything to do with the reading ?

my Alt: 317 m

Pressure 28.97 inHg

2) sonar on OSD Sensor US debug is changing with altitude approx. ( a40f at 1 foot ) and ( a80f at 2 feet ) however is not registering anything change on main OSD altitude or Configurator altitude ?

kha
07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Yes I've noticed no 1 there is something wrong on setting zero altitude.

For 2... the sonar altitude is always shown in decimal units on the osd display it is decimeters and on debug centimeters.

Also the sonar alt does not reset baro altitude so the main altitide will not change.

Oh and the text is a little packed thats why the confusion. It is
Altitude xxx Front xxx etc.

kha
07-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Oh and the values are little off on baloo since I did not adjust for 3v3 vref so 1m will show as 1*(5/3.3) m

norem
07-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanxs again,

Cool then sonar is working properly, the f < was throwing me off ie. feet vs meters.

So the altitude being -22 feet (using us units) sitting on my floor is just a buglet ?

As it sits here idleing it drifts closer to zero but is still -16 feet or 5.18 ...while writing this it is now -9 feet on the OSD

So the disagreeance between configurator and OSD is, regardless of units settings, configurator is measuring in meters OSD in feet when USUnits is defined.

This is prolly a Honk question...

How warm should the regulators be getting with 12v applied to RAW with just the receiver plugged in ?, I can touch mine but wouldn't drink it yet if it was a cup of coffee nor is it anywhere as hot as the mega regulator gets with 2.1 board installed?

The note about not being able to us the barometer if using 5v is a bit confusing, Wouldn't it be better to use ESC for power to keep things cooler and use AttoPilot for voltage and current.

Should I even be concerned about this bit of heat ?

Also when USB cable is unplugged and powered by RAW the USB LED glows, is this expected ?

btw I child/me proofed my power whilst playing with wiring ;)

Thanx again for the clarifications guys, just want to make sure im working as expected ;)

Honk
07-28-2012, 07:17 PM
The regulators are fine as long as you can touch them. They should work good up to like 100-120 degrees.

There are two barometers on the board. One of them is powered from the 5V regulator which gets its power from the RAW pin. The other barometer is powered from the 3V3 regulator also powered from the RAW pin.

Also when USB cable is unplugged and powered by RAW the USB LED glows, is this expected ?
... it shouldn't... there should be a diode that makes the USB 5V only go to the 5V rail and to the 3V3 regulator, but current should not be able to go the other way. I don't have the schematic in my head though.

norem
07-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Hmmmm I did pop D5 which way should D5 be pointing ? this is prolly the problem here.

No comment on my power supply condoms ? heh heh

Honk
07-28-2012, 08:01 PM
In that picture it should point left so that it points to the stuff using 5V, the analog baro (going through that via) and the RX power connector.

Sniperp
07-28-2012, 08:40 PM
ok my bird is all setup but im having issues with the acual pluggin in of everything to the board. Since there are only 2 pin headers i assume ground and signal.
1) But where do i plug in power to? Can i use power from one of my ESC's
2) i see a RX in but how does the RX get its power do i need to run a BEC to it?
I really dont want to fry anything as once i get everything hooked up ill be doing a flight test so any help would be greatly appreciated. Ill be sitting on the caht as well if someone could hop onto there

mmonti
07-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Excellent Idea.. power supply condoms !!! Way to Go !!

You can bet I will be doing the same !

Mavvie
07-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Power goes to the Raw plug, right next to the led drivers, it's the pin most towards the edge, on the other side of that edge is also a raw connection. You use main battery power here. From pictures in the wiki the one next to the leds doesn't have pin and the other one does, so maybe the other one is better.
Wiki (http://aeroquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6727&d=1342909769&stc=1)

For powering the receiver you can use the power and ground from one of the escs, and that's the power and ground in the 3 pin connector, not main power. Signal goes to RX in ofc.

Sniperp
07-28-2012, 08:47 PM
for the raw power does it have to go through a BEC to drop the voltage down or just use direct power from a 3S

Honk
07-28-2012, 08:51 PM
RAW pin needs a voltage above 7V for everything on the board to work.

norem
07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Thank you Sir, what I thought... but if ya replace a bad diode with another bad one (sigh) .. 2 times a charm glad you guys chose a good pc board vender ;)

norem
07-28-2012, 09:43 PM
I would recommend soldering a polarized JST Connector ro RAW and the GND next to it instead of relying on plugging in power into the supplied pins :)

norem
07-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Guess only prob I have is my Baloo thinks its 22 feet underground LOL

ala42
07-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Guess only prob I have is my Baloo thinks its 22 feet underground LOL
The MS5611 barometer needs some seconds to heat up. The ground hight is set a bit too early.

ala42
07-28-2012, 10:19 PM

If it is just glowing a little bit and barely visible, this is normal. I see the same on the prototype board when I add a diode from RAW to USBVDD.

norem
07-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanx ala42, it was actually a bad diode I replaced with a bad one, leds are working like they supposed to now now :) it was a bit more like half brightness I was getting 2.34v reverse leakage

after settling down to -7 feet (took very long time) just pressing the button takes it back to -27 feet after 10 minutes I'm at -22 feet, I just hit reset again and its back to -27 again at 5:55pm my time, I don't think this is just warmup ? (the time is just for my reference)

norem
07-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Its now 6:03pm and its still -27 feet any thoughts ? still moves up and down from there as I raise and lower it just looks like a 27 foot offset ?

norem
07-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Not sure whats up but now 6:55pm -31 feet think somethings more broken

ala42
07-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Nothing is broken. A barometer measures the air pressure, not the height. As posted above the AQ software sets the startup offset a bit to early.
What makes you think the air pressure must stay constant during 52 minutes ?

Mavvie
07-29-2012, 12:25 AM
I can answer that. Not having the technical knowhow. Before I started reading into this quad business I also thought altitude meters in planes were "drop in once, use forever". I'm an IT guy, stuff like atmospheric pressure, forward voltage drop and more terms I heard once but had no clue about. Not everyone has the knowledge you have.

norem
07-29-2012, 01:16 AM
For the record I've been a Technician since you had to turn a floppy disk sideways before you could go thru a door ;)

I understand what a barometer does..

I kinda figured when the software when reset assumes your on the ground sets that pressure as 0 (feet/m) I get that barometric pressure changes and of course every time a storm wanders by the pressure will change also.

I think what I don't understand "the AQ software sets the startup offset a bit to early." are you saying its set to 0 prematurely before the part can settle your working on it and stop worring so much ? ;)

Just Trying to make sure this is working as "expected" I hadn't seen anyone else mention this as a problem so seemed that I was the only one :)

I shall wait till that that part gets worked out. :)

tnx

ala42
07-29-2012, 01:32 AM
I think what I don't understand "the AQ software sets the startup offset a bit to early." are you saying its set to 0 prematurely before the part can settle your working on it and stop worring so much ? ;)

Yes, and it does not matter at all. When you use the altitude hold feature it locks in the current altitude, so the absolute value does not matter.

norem
07-29-2012, 01:44 AM
Thanx ala42, I felt like the altitude numbers were changing and that altitude hold would function as it would be relative to the beginning number negative or not.

The OSD is just throwing me way off, every time I hit reset I get minus 27 feet even when the board has been powered up for over an hour.

I'll wait.

Mikro
07-29-2012, 06:48 AM
For the record I also noticed that the altitude shows up as a negative number (and I live at sea level at the beach). The rest of the developers are getting a development environment up and documented. We'll start fixing things soon (unless Ala42 gets to it first, since he's VERY fast).

Mikro
07-29-2012, 06:59 AM
ok my bird is all setup but im having issues with the acual pluggin in of everything to the board. Since there are only 2 pin headers i assume ground and signal.
1) But where do i plug in power to? Can i use power from one of my ESC's
2) i see a RX in but how does the RX get its power do i need to run a BEC to it?
I really dont want to fry anything as once i get everything hooked up ill be doing a flight test so any help would be greatly appreciated. Ill be sitting on the caht as well if someone could hop onto there

Sniperp, here's what I did:
For each ESC connector, since the AQ32 board has two pins only for signal and ground, I removed the power and ground wire from ESC connector and swapped them so that the ground pin is next to the signal pin. This let me plug those connectors right into the AQ32 board with no difficult modification (you just need to remember you did this because you need to swap them back if you want to use these ESC's elsewhere).

I was lazy and used the +5V pin next to the receiver pins and used that to power my receiver. I have a pack of these custom two pin JST like connectors I have where you can plug in premade wires with connectors to custom make your own receiver cables. I'll see about carrying these in the store... it's always nice to be able to make your own cables with proper connectors.

Norem, I'm VERY glad you were able to fix your board. I'll look at either covering them with some sort of dummy connector, or just have the header pins not installed at all.

I took some video with the AQ32 board flying on a beta Typhoon frame... I took apart my machine that made videos and moved it to the new shop (darn it!). I'll work on setting up video editing on my machine at home to get it online. I'm having SO MUCH FUN! Why? With how stable the Stable Mode is (both with an AQ32 board and a v2.1 board) I've finally been able to be proficient at nose in flying! But I know it's not proven unless I can post a video of it... :)

norem
07-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Also noticed that the heading is no longer displayed on the OSD and it also goes negative in the configurator if to rotate clockwise the number passes 360 deg if counter clockwise it starts off negative and does the same maybe this was intentional for dead reckoning I thought earlier versions of the software acted like a true compass then again I may have imagined this heh heh

Wasn't the FPV horizon guide from pilot view thru the camera at one time feels like it got reversed ? might be me ...

I'm will put mine in the air tomorrow. I really need to see it either lift or NOT lift my GoPro 3D set up and am expecting it to fly like a battleship ;)

Guys this is really a good looking board and I don't mean to come off negatively, I do kinda feel like I missed a couple classes and missed a few of the works and don't works stuff heh heh

kha
07-29-2012, 08:49 AM
The heading wont display until magnetometet is enabled this is also why the neg numbers.

The artificial horizon should follow real horizon. In some really old osd code it was reversed.

wooden
07-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Honk - the beautiful thing about sBUS is it supports 12 analog + 2 digital channels AND has failsafe indication. I don't know why more people wouldn't want to use it, I guess not everyone has a Futaba TX and maybe not all Futaba TXs are sBUS compatible, but I was planning on extending the sBUS library to make use of the failsafe once auto-landing and GPS RTH were completed on AQ.

Xtrmtrk - all you need to do to test the Spektrum sBUS RX you have is send the signal through an inverter into Serial2 RX on a Mega. Give it a shot because a lot of people on here use Spektrum remotes and I'm sure people would love to be able to use just one wire instead of 7.

kha
07-29-2012, 10:10 AM
As I mentioned in snother thread FrSky is coming up with SBUS system too. They use that as excuse to not fix the cppm bug they have.

Sniperp
07-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Well I have everything hooked up and running.. So I thought. I went for a test hover and once I gave power she pitched hard forward and flipped on top of herself. I was able to repeat this 3 times last night in the exact same manner. She gets light on her feet, I give more throttle, an flip.
The only spot I saw that showed motor direction was in the config under initial setup, flash the EEPROM. In the it showed the X8 and I setup my motor direction and props according to that.
One thing I did notice was in the 3D view of the config it doesnt show my bird in X8 config, shows it in a regular octo config, is that what's wrong even though in te lower right it says X8.
I'll try an put a short video up today to show my problem and see if anyone can figure it out with me

Sniperp
07-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Ok went out to do a video of the X8 and she flipped forward again but when I decided to do another test. I held it in my hand and armed it, when I gave stick inputs and it responded by giving weird directions. I also tried twisting it to see if it would give the correct reaction but again different motors were engaging. I'm thinking the fact it's showing a regular octo it's giving the motor inputs like a regular octo and not a X8. Ill try to reflash it and see if it works.

Kenny9999
07-29-2012, 03:20 PM
try a std quad X with the same motor, you don't have to touch to any hardware...

will need more power to lift up, but, you will see if it's the configuration... motor, something, a clue!!!

Sniperp
07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Ok I'll give it a try

Sniperp
07-29-2012, 03:47 PM
still no luck, but i did notice something interesting after i connected it back to the config. The motor arrangement is different then what the config says it should be. according to the config the motor arrangement should be, clockwise starting front left, 1-3-2-4. But from what im seeing it should be 1-2-3-4. When i give forward stick motors 3 and 4 are getting power, but according to the config those are cross motors not the back motors. Going to swap some motor wires around and give it another try. IF it works ill redo the X8 and try again.

Sniperp
07-29-2012, 04:09 PM
that did it, switched motor plug in around and up she goes. I did a quick video and it lifts up but then settles down quick because i stupidly but a low battery in. Now the test is will it work with X8!
<span class="watch-page-link"><a href="http://youtu.be/uM04nDipH_U">
http://youtu.be/uM04nDipH_U (http://youtu.be/uM04nDipH_U)

Sniperp
07-29-2012, 04:27 PM
ok X8 is the same the motors are 1-2-3-4 upper 5-6-7-8 lower clockwise starting from front left. I also made the mistake of selecting ocotX instead of X8 so screwup on my part there but hey shes flying. Now to start tweeking to get it rock solid stable and then adding GPS and Xbee

http://youtu.be/fdbZrWMmA14

Airwolf
07-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, you're right. The pictures in the wiki and in the configurator are wrong for the X8 configuration. I'll fix that and send Mikro the corrected image so he can include that in the next configurator release!

norem
07-29-2012, 05:20 PM
The heading wont display until magnetometet is enabled this is also why the neg numbers.

The artificial horizon should follow real horizon. In some really old osd code it was reversed.

Gotcha thanx

Mikro
07-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Nice Sniperp! Airwolf sent me some new X8 graphics so we'll update that fo the next rev of the Configurator.

I remember Ucdwino experimenting with those motors but we realized that we would have problems finding the right propellers for it? (I assume those are the coax motors you can find at HK) Did you find the correct propellers for the motor or did you have to modify some? I have some we were thinking of experimenting with for the UAVForge competition but ran out of time to get them implemented.

Sniperp
07-29-2012, 06:11 PM
The X8 looking like a reg octo was mu own fault of loading up a reg octo-X config in X8, so that was my fault. However the motor numbering is off so that would need to be changed.
As for props currently I'm running 11x5.5 on 3S and she's lifting off at about 1/4 throttle. Not sure on weight, on my way to LHS to weight and other things, and havnt hooked it up to a watt meter yet but I might look at 13x4 once I get the legs and gopro gimble installed as that will pumps weight up and may need the extra thrust. Would really like to try a set of te CF 15" halo and dasksha was running because they are really quite and efficient. I just don't know if te hub is thick enough.
*EDIT* just weighed it, 2150 grams or 4.70 pounds W/O battery. I still have landing gear and a Gopro gimble coming for it. Put batteries on and wow this thing is going to be heavy!

Sniperp
07-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Since she's flying and very stable, some fine tuning still needed, I'm going to start working on the next part getting the xbee to work. I'll start reading about it but if anyone can give me some help on connections needed to the baloo and setup to have it talk with the config I'd appreciate it.

norem
07-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Woo hoo Baloo Cyclone Y6 lifted my GoPro 3D system no sweat, even did a little tree trimming ;) have some editing to do maybe have something to upload in 3D :)

norem
07-31-2012, 12:54 AM
Is TX3 XBEE Ready ie Baud 111111 ?

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 02:29 AM
Ok got the BSD taken care of in my computer and have the xbees all set up but I can't get them to talk. I've tried all Tx and Rx on the baloo but they won't connect through the configure tool. Maybe it's something I have setup wrong on the shield, to the bird. I have V3.3, ground, DOUT, and DIN/CONFIG. Do I need to have my RX and TX wire on somewhere else on the shield? Also the DOUT goes to the Rx and the DIN goes the the TX from the board correct?

jihlein
07-31-2012, 02:45 AM
On the STM32 I've found it unecessary to use 111111 baud, 115200 works just fine. Last I looked, you should hookup to TX3 and RX3 for the AQ code. I need to check the DOUT/RX and DIN/TX, I believe thats correct, but will verify.

I'm not sure the AQ code as loaded on aq32 board will talk to Serial as coded though, come to think of it. In Arduino land, there is a #define that needs to be set to get the code talking to Serial3.

norem
07-31-2012, 02:54 AM
I'm not sure the AQ code as loaded on aq32 board will talk to Serial as coded though, come to think of it. In Arduino land, there is a #define that needs to be set to get the code talking to Serial3.

Think your right on it not being defined by the online config yet...

I don't see any serial data on any of the TX ports...

ala42
07-31-2012, 03:02 AM
If you want to use USART1 instead of USB to talk to the configurator, have a look at the AeroQuad32\SerialMapping.h file, comment out #define USE_USB_SERIAL and rebuild.

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 03:05 AM
USART1? What pins are those, sorry new to AQ board

ala42
07-31-2012, 03:17 AM
http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=AeroQuad32+Flight+Control+Board&highlight=aeroquad32#AeroQuad32+board+pin+assignme nts
TXD1/RXD1 in the middle of the connectors on the left.

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 03:22 AM
Ok awesome. I'll give that a try tomorrow thanks.

norem
07-31-2012, 03:43 AM
Do we have instructions how to compile without the online config ?

ie what we need to install locally to create the bin file ?

thanx

q6600
07-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Do we have instructions how to compile without the online config ?

ie what we need to install locally to create the bin file ?

thanx

I just gave it a try, with kha's help...

- Install Sourcery CodeBench Lite for ARM EABI (https://sourcery.mentor.com/sgpp/lite/arm/portal/release2188)
- Grab a zip of the latest code from https://github.com/AeroQuad/AeroQuad/tree/development , unzip into a folder, change user config, add #define AeroQuadSTM32 , etc..
- command prompt, go to AQ folder and compile with

Make -C LibMaple/libmaple library
Make -C BuildAQ32

Upload AeroQuadMain.bin that will be in ..\BuildAQ32\objSTM32\AeroQuad32\

ala42
07-31-2012, 01:09 PM
You need to build libmaple just once. In the LibMaple and BuildAQ32 directories you find batch files to build the AQ software.

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 06:28 PM
If you want to use USART1 instead of USB to talk to the configurator, have a look at the AeroQuad32\SerialMapping.h file, comment out #define USE_USB_SERIAL and rebuild.

I tried to edit the .bin that was created with the online config however when i opened it, i used notepad figureing it would work, all i got was giberish. What program do i need to edit the file, im still VERY new to programming.

kha
07-31-2012, 06:32 PM
The online tool is compiler so it will output flashable firmware (binary) image. It takes source from github and just creates the UserConfiguration.h file with minimal stuff in it on the fly (and shows it).

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
ok, but how do i edit the file? and what do i need to write to edit the USE_USB out

kha
07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
You can't unless you compile yourself. I will add option to do just that on the online tool.. wait a couple hours and it will be there.

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
awsome thank you. I do appreciate the help with the online but at some point i definently want to get my hands dirty with programming it myself :)

kha
07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Do you have access to linux host?

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 07:27 PM
no

Honk
07-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Sniperp: the two posts above your first post in this thread is answer to the question you asked right below them.

norem
07-31-2012, 08:36 PM
As Promised ;)

These are proof of concept videos of the GoPro 3D System on a AQ32 Baloo Cyclone Y6 Carriage, No fancy flying just some lift-offs and bouncing around, I just wanted to make sure it would lift 2 GoPros, I never went above half throttle using my Logitech Joystick setup, just enough to get off the ground for a couple seconds as it is the first flight of this machine ;)

http://youtu.be/SCRjpqlyGSM 3D Video from AQ32
http://youtu.be/mdD8LznC19M 2D video
http://youtu.be/7HHQjy1dnFg 2D video

Some attached photos of the craft ;)

The landing pods are installed in a way that they collapse much like the bumper on a Pontiac TransAm on a hard landing they can then be slid back down :)

Am I the first to do 3D on my Aeroquad ?

kha
07-31-2012, 09:25 PM
I made rough instructions for building on command line in the wiki (Linux & Windows)

http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=Uploading+the+AeroQuad+flight+s oftware+AeroQuad32

norem
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I made rough instructions for building on command line in the wiki (Linux & Windows)

Thanx!

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Cool. After my boys go down to bed I'll try playing around with it.

firehopper
07-31-2012, 11:38 PM

http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=Uploading+the+AeroQuad+flight+s oftware+AeroQuad32

and those instructions work for me! And I'm a commandline newbish!. easy to follow :>

windows 7 64 bit here.

Sniperp
07-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Quick question how do I install "build" command

firehopper
08-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Quick question how do I install "build" command

http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=Uploading+the+AeroQuad+flight+s oftware+AeroQuad32 << follow these instructions and it will just work :)

if I can do it, you can :)

Sniperp
08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
ok i hope i have everything installed. I just finished rearranging the userconfig file so all the lines start with // so its easier to read and edit. Going to start editing and hope for the best, lol

Sniperp
08-01-2012, 02:27 AM
ok got to everything and did the build.... ERROR ERROR ERROR!!!! Im pretty sure its i screwed up the userconfig so im going to post it up in my build log so to not tie up this topic if someone can take a look and see what a scrwwed up.

norem
08-01-2012, 03:38 AM

That worked nicely ummmm how do ya get it back to communicating over usb, I now get device not recognized error from windows when plugging in the usb cable, and it won't re re-program via serial just loops out.

mmmm am I needing a couple more pins from my ftdi ;)

It is however communicating over the xbee properly, just no longer able to recognize the usb device after commenting the #define for usb, recompiling and sending to the AQ32 and cannot recompile with #define USE_USB_SERIAL enabled, rebuild and send ?

On 2 machines...

Anyone elese run into this after attempting to use serial3 for telemetry ? on Aeroquad 2.1 board both were active when using serial3 ?

--------------------------------------------

SOLVED:

Re-powered AQ32 using USB with Boot0 tied to VDD as I have tried many times lastnight...

note: did this several times and still was not able to see the board with dfu-util, however after trying 3 or 4 times this morning I was able to finally see the board using dfu-util, then able to flash the board again via USB ( persistance I guess ? )

Instead does mean instead ;)

Unlike Arduino where you can still reflash without any special procedures when using serial3, In order to reflash when using serial3 for telemetry using AQ32 you must tie Boot0 to VDD then plug USB cable in then follow normal flash procedures.

Sniperp
08-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Fire was helping me out but I forgot the initial command in MSYS to actually get into a folder

firehopper
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Fire was helping me out but I forgot the initial command in MSYS to actually get into a folder

its CD foldername

Sniperp
08-01-2012, 11:51 AM
i tried that but nothing, there was something i needed to do first and i cant remember what it was

kha
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Did you start the msys shell using the msys.bat ?

Sniperp
08-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Yes, I'm not at my computer anymore so I can't say what's on the screen but fire said I had to enter a command at first, before the cd, and that put me into the home folder.

firehopper
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
cd ..

thats what you need to type first to get you back to your home folder

ala42
08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Instead does mean instead ;)
:). I will change that, so USB gets initialized and allows reception of the magic reset sequence, but I/O goes to serial.

norem
08-01-2012, 10:06 PM
:). I will change that, so USB gets initialized and allows reception of the magic reset sequence, but I/O goes to serial.

Awesome!! Thanx ... that drove me nuts, but it was a good test of my patience and will power LOL

Good news tho serial1 worked as expected just put the 4 wires on there and off it went, it was just kinda awkward figuring how to flash back when needed.

ala42
08-01-2012, 11:25 PM
SOLVED:
Re-powered AQ32 using USB with Boot0 tied to VDD as I have tried many times lastnight...

note: did this several times and still was not able to see the board with dfu-util, however after trying 3 or 4 times this morning I was able to finally see the board using dfu-util, then able to flash the board again via USB

Unplug and replug the USB cable if the dfu-util can not see the board with Boot0 tied to VDD. Looks like the CPU build in bootloader does not assert a USB disconnect at startup, e.g after pressing the reset button, so the PC does not try to find new devices on USB. Plugging the USB cable works no matter if the board is powered over USB or the RAW input.

jihlein
08-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Could it also be signals on one of the other bootloader options?

The bootloader reference states that the first available "signal" on one of the bootloader ports will be the chosen one. If xBees were hooked up to usart3 and transmitting, for example. the bootloader would look to usart3 for a hex file download, not the USB port. Might make sense to ensure that usart1 and usart3 are disconnected when updating firmware from the USB port, as recommended in the reference documents.

ala42
08-02-2012, 12:13 AM
What I have tested and makes me think the bootloader does not assert the USB disconnect is
- using the AQ software on USART1, which currently does not use USB in this mode
- started the ListDFUSeDevices.bat from the BuildAQ32 directory, which finds no devices as expected
- added the boot 0 jumper
- pressed the reset button. CPU enteres boot mode, so you do not see the LED flash sequence you see usually
- ListDFUSeDevices.bat still does not find any devices
- plugged/replugged the USB cable
- in case you have the speaker on your windows PC, you hear the USB device found signal
- ListDFUSeDevices.bat finds devices

Found DFU: [0483:df11] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="@Internal Flash /0x08000000/04*016Kg,01*064Kg,07*128Kg"
Found DFU: [0483:df11] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=1, name="@Option Bytes /0x1FFFC000/01*016 g"
Found DFU: [0483:df11] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=2, name="@OTP Memory /0x1FFF7800/01*512 g,01*016 g"
Found DFU: [0483:df11] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=3, name="@Device Feature/0xFFFF0000/01*004 g"

The CPU internal boot bode supports:
2.2.13 Boot modes
At startup, boot pins are used to select one out of three boot options:
● Boot from user Flash
● Boot from system memory
● Boot from embedded SRAM
The boot loader is located in system memory. It is used to reprogram the Flash memory by
using USART1 (PA9/PA10), USART3 (PC10/PC11 or PB10/PB11), CAN2 (PB5/PB13), USB
OTG FS in Device mode (PA11/PA12) through DFU (device firmware upgrade).

The Baloo uses USART3 on PD8/9. This USART3 can not prevent USB booting. USART1 could, but can also be used for booting over serial when you want it.
I have entered some nonsense on USART1 in boot mode, USB flashing still worked, so the boot loader is not completely stupid. Sending the right bytes might still confuse it.

ala42
08-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Good news tho serial3 worked as expected just put the 4 wires on there and off it went, it was just kinda awkward figuring how to flash back when needed.
The undefine of USE_USB_SERIAL uses serial1 aka USART1 for configurator communication as default not serial3, so I assume you changed the mapping serial3.
As a quick fix to keep USB enabled to accept the reset sequence when using USARTs for communication, add

#if defined(BOARD_aeroquad32) && !defined(USE_USB_SERIAL)
SerialUSB.begin();
#endif

at the end of initPlatform() in AeroQuad_STM32.h

norem
08-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Only thing I have to add here is XBee Was attached to serial1, I did get an alert on the PC that an unknown USB device was attached after reset, like the AQ32 wasn't identifying itself to the USB bus, and that it required me to strap Boot0 to VDD then power up via USB to have the PC recognize it as a com device again.

Sorry bout that it wasn't on serial3...

I'll correct that above oooops

Sniperp
08-02-2012, 01:54 AM
YAHOO i got my XBEE working with the baloo, did the self compile, hooked up to serial 1 and she talking to the config with no problems
sitting here with everything powered up i noticed the main chip is getting very warm, not hot but definitely noticeably warm.

ala42
08-02-2012, 02:15 AM
You mean the STM32 in the center of the Baloo gets very warm ? That should not happen. Power it off and check your cabling. Then remove all cables beside power and check temperature is low.
The voltage regulators get quite warm when powered with 12V, but you can still touch them.
Do you power any external board from the onboard regulators ?

Sniperp
08-02-2012, 02:19 AM
im powering my XBEE from the 3.3V pins

ala42
08-02-2012, 02:25 AM
How much power does it take ?

Sniperp
08-02-2012, 02:33 AM
40-50ma

Honk
08-02-2012, 03:20 AM
That depends on which model of course but also a LOT on what it is transmitting. I assume it transmitts a lot and then it's loading the 3.3V reg pretty much. Take the Xbee off and feel/measure. I bet there's a noticeable difference.

norem
08-02-2012, 05:11 AM
My CPU and regulators run cold to the touch on USB power with XBee powered via 3.3, With input on raw at 12v there is quite a bit of heat transfer to the CPU from the regulators but not enough that it concerns me at all, I am tempted to heat sink the regulators tho it is powering an Assan Receiver and 1 Range Finder and the XBee via 3.3.

I will say that my Mega board with 2.1 shield, the regulator gets way hotter! almost to the point I was concerned about it desoldering itself, Arduino should consider a heatsink for sure ;)

Mikro
08-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Getting caught up here... Sniperp updating software now? Uh oh... sounds like you are getting too dangerous for your own good.

I actually haven't setup a development environment yet, but found that you guys are really fast at updating the documentation. Both Linux and Windows setup is found here: http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=Uploading+the+AeroQuad+flight+s oftware+AeroQuad32

Kha/Kenny9999/Ala42/Jihlein, is there a nice IDE we can use? We discussed Eclipse, but will it do nice things like Intellisense? (Sorry at work I've started using Visual Studio and getting spoiled with some of it's features).

ala42
08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
My CPU and regulators run cold to the touch on USB power with XBee powered via 3.3, With input on raw at 12v there is quite a bit of heat transfer to the CPU from the regulators but not enough that it concerns me at all, I am tempted to heat sink the regulators tho it is powering an Assan Receiver and 1 Range Finder and the XBee via 3.3.

I will say that my Mega board with 2.1 shield, the regulator gets way hotter! almost to the point I was concerned about it desoldering itself, Arduino should consider a heatsink for sure ;)
Take care that you do NOT connect the heat sinks of the 3.3V and 5V regulator, as one is connected to GND and one to 5V.
Compared to the first prototype we improved the cooling of the 3.3V regulator on the current board with a much better connection to the GND area. Still it is a linear regulator, which burns the incoming voltage down to 3.3V, so it heats up the board. The board takes ~70mA. The regulator is heating up by ~20-25°C relative to the ambient temperature when running at 12V. So at 20°C room temperature you can touch it with your fingers without starting to cry :)
Another 50mA will increase the temperature by another 15-20°C, so you will end up ~60°C, too much for your fingers.

Kenny9999
08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Getting caught up here... Sniperp updating software now? Uh oh... sounds like you are getting too dangerous for your own good.

I actually haven't setup a development environment yet, but found that you guys are really fast at updating the documentation. Both Linux and Windows setup is found here: http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=Uploading+the+AeroQuad+flight+s oftware+AeroQuad32

Kha/Kenny9999/Ala42/Jihlein, is there a nice IDE we can use? We discussed Eclipse, but will it do nice things like Intellisense? (Sorry at work I've started using Visual Studio and getting spoiled with some of it's features).

For now, I did not had to compile it but with the Kha web compiler! but, I'm reaching it's limit!

Batch file to build, upload and so on are already working, so, what i'm probably gonna do is continue to use the Arduino IDE since i'm use to it and that will prevent Arduino compatible error, And I will build a little batch file from my own that will reset, compile, upload, reset... And the serial comm monitor from the Arduino will do the job for what I usually used to debug!

I'll see how it goes with this... minimalism setup!

jihlein
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm using Eclipse Juno/CodeBench Lite for develpment, and it's working okay, even to the point of debugging with ST-Link. I had to go thru many web articles on how to do this before the light bulb clicked on and I figured out how to make it work. Couple of issues yet to resolve:

1)Not sure how to get the FPU working in this environment. The STM32 standard peripherial driver library keeps the FPU disabled with this setup, although Ala42 has got it working with Code Bench Lite using the Maple Lib. Ala42, please correct me if I'm wrong here. I need to investigate this further.

2)The GDB server initialization and debug launch sometimes fail. There's probably something not setup quite right, but I haven't found what yet. If it initializes and launchs correctly, it works fine.

Keep in mind I'm not using the Maple Lib for my code, and it's not backward compatible with Arduino.

Sorry Mikro, not sure what Intellisense is......

Mavvie
08-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Intellisense is the name Microsoft IDE's use for autocomplete

norem
08-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Take care that you do NOT connect the heat sinks of the 3.3V and 5V regulator, as one is connected to GND and one to 5V.

I'm thinking a stick-on like they do the ESC's don't think it has to be terrible efficient ;)

norem
08-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Mikro,

Speaking of configurator ;) is there a newer 3.1 version to play with maybe something that shows the Sonar for testing et al ?

Back to our regularly scheduled program....

firehopper
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
anyone else get a bit confused about the Reciever connections for the baloo? the top is listed as tim4_chan1-4 the bottom is marked as tim1_chan1-4, now if you dont notice the tim4 or tim1 part, you can get confused, As I was and a few otheres in irc have stated, shouldnt the one set be changed to chan5-8?
or maybe marked rcvr 1-8?

norem
08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah I feel like it would be clearer 1-8 etc

Honk
08-02-2012, 05:11 PM
The one who made the Eagle extracted diagrams in the Wiki apparently chose the proper port/function/family names on the pins.

If you look at the PCB there's silk screen (also visible in the Wiki diagram) that are labeled 1-8 pin for pin with white paint.

ala42
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Receiver connector mapping:

Top side: 5V, 4,3,2,1
Bottom side: GND 8,7,6,5

5V and GND are next to the mounting hole. The top side silk screen numbers are in the wrong order.

kha
08-02-2012, 05:54 PM
This explains yhe weirdness when I made PPM. PPM goes to ch4 (next to 5v) and lets keep it that way.

Honk
08-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Order? That's only a question of definition...

Sniperp
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
http://youtu.be/DHYwnRcLgNEMore flight testing, i think i got it tuned pretty good. Going to try some 13x4 props that just came in today and see if they drop my amp draw at all.
*EDIT* just did a test hop and got 42amps with the new props down from 56 amps. No full throttle punch out as I was in my backyard in the dark testing.

ala42
08-03-2012, 01:09 AM
1)Not sure how to get the FPU working in this environment. The STM32 standard peripherial driver library keeps the FPU disabled with this setup, although Ala42 has got it working with Code Bench Lite using the Maple Lib. Ala42, please correct me if I'm wrong here. I need to investigate this further.

I use the CodeSourcery toolchain and while I use libmaple, and switch the FPU on in the startup code, this does not have much to do with libmaple or the library you use. You just have to use the compiler options I posted. If you get the code linked, you have won. Then you just need to switch on the FPU before you use the first floating point operation, either with the assembler code I posted or with *(int*)0xe000ed88 |= 0xf00000 if you want to avoid hunting for official structure definitions or defines pointing to this register.

Mikro
08-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Yeah, sorry I learned the hard way that the receiver channels 5-8 are inverted. I also made the mistake that the pin labelled 5V was pin 5 for the receiver. Let's make sure we fix the pin definitions to match the silkscreen (even though the pin numbering will be backwards).

@norem, I can look at adding Sonar. If you want, you can already add it to the plots in the Configurator. Go to http://aeroquad.com/showwiki.php?title=AeroQuad+3+x+Configurator+Manua l and look under the "Adding custom plots" section. You will have to create a telemetry command in SerialCom.h which will spit out the sonar data. Let me know if you need help (or just want to wait for the next rev which is being worked right now).

ala42
08-03-2012, 01:41 AM
It will, not as nice as VS2010, more on the VS2008 level. Currently I use Eclipse Helios, but will try juno soon. You will need Eclipse when you want to use a debugger.
If you do not plan to use a debugger, you can also use VS as IDE.

norem
08-03-2012, 05:48 AM
ala42 Please set us ST newbies up whith what ya think would work bestest when ya have a chance with a decent free setup ;)

norem
08-03-2012, 08:02 AM
@norem, (or just want to wait for the next rev which is being worked right now).

No sweat thanx gonna wait just wanted to play with it soooo temporarilly...
added PrintValueComma(rangeFinderRange[ALTITUDE_RANGE_FINDER_INDEX]); < wow this needs some smoothing and debounce ;)

and stuck it in the attitude section just to see what the data looked like... I get it now ;)

kha
08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Look at the ranger code... it has a 'spike fillter' to remove single false readings. For best results one should use digital pin to syncronize it.

norem
08-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Look at the ranger code... it has a 'spike fillter' to remove single false readings. For best results one should use digital pin to syncronize it.

I definately agree with the sync, in most of my robotics use of these units PW or Serial have better results than analog probably due to some internal software filtering of thier own...

Certainly would be better to sync them if plans to use it for object avoidance...

norem
08-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Which actual model Maxbotix unit are you guys programming for, I have 1st generation sensors hanging about they were the 10mv per inch should I pick up a newer model ?

wooden
08-03-2012, 07:20 PM
The ones in the store are 9mV per inch, I believe.

Airwolf
08-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Finally got my AeroQuad32 board toady and already assembled everything, so everything is ready for a maiden flight tomorrow. :)

Is the measured voltage supposed to be correct when the board is only powered by USB? For me it only shows 0.7V. And is it safe to connect a 3s LiPo and USB at the same time?

norem
08-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Finally got my AeroQuad32 board toady and already assembled everything, so everything is ready for a maiden flight tomorrow. :)

Is the measured voltage supposed to be correct when the board is only powered by USB? For me it only shows 0.7V. And is it safe to connect a 3s LiPo and USB at the same time?

The voltage meter measures the RAW input so it will float a little with no input , its safe to plug both in at the same time just be careful not to short any power outs and you will be fine :)

With RAW powered at 12v the regulators will be warm/hot which is normal

Sniperp
08-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Also be sure props are off or you remember to not arm it :)

Airwolf
08-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks, one more question: I want to trigger a buzzer when the battery voltage reaches the warning level. On Arduino based boards I just connected a 5V buzzer to digital pin 49 on the Arduino and added something like this to the code:

//AeroQuad.ino

#define BuzzerPin 49

pinMode(BuzzerPin, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(BuzzerPin, LOW);

//LEDStatusProcessor.h

#if defined (BattMonitor)
if(motorArmed) {
if (batteryAlarm) {
digitalWrite(BuzzerPin, (flashingLedState & 2));
}
else if (batteryWarning) {
digitalWrite(BuzzerPin, (flashingLedState & 6));
}
else {
}
}
else {
}
#endif

How can I do the same thing on the AeroQuad32 board?

ala42
08-05-2012, 10:35 PM
You do the same and just have to change the BuzzerPin define, e.g.
#define BufferPin Port2Pin('A', 0) // use SRV3
if you want to use the SRV3 pad. The servo lines have a 1k inline resistor.

Airwolf
08-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Great, it works. Thanks!

Is there any documentation/diagram how the pins are addressed (Port2Pin('X', Y) = use pin ....)?

ala42
08-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Is there any documentation/diagram how the pins are addressed (Port2Pin('X', Y) = use pin ....)?
It is all in the schematics :) PXY is the name of the CPU pin. X is a letter, Y a number.

AeroQuad32 external pin mapping
PWM
PC09-Motor1
PC08-Motor2
PC07-Motor3
PC06-Motor4
PA15-Motor5
PB03-Motor6
PB04-Motor7
PB05-Motor8

PD12-RecCH1
PD13-RecCH2
PD14-RecCH3
PD15-RecCH4
PE09-RecCH5
PE11-RecCH6
PE13-RecCH7
PE14-RecCH8

PA03-SVR0
PA02-SVR1
PA01-SVR2
PA00-SVR3

Serial
PA09-TX1
PA10-RX1
PD05-TX2
PD06-RX2
PD08-TX3
PD09-RX3

External LEDs
PD07-PLED1
PE00-PLED2
PE01-PLED3
PD04-PLED4

Analog
PB00-ADC1
PC04-ADC2
PB01-ADC3
PC05-ADC4
PC02-ADC5
PC03-ADC6

Digital-Analog output
PA04-SPKR

I2C
PB06-I2C1_SCL
PB07-I2C1_SDA

PB10-I2C2_SCL
PB11-I2C2_SDA

SPI
PB15-OSI2 SPI2MOSI
PB14-IS02 SPI2MISO
PB13-SCK2 SPI2SCK

Debug
PA13-JTMS-SWDIO
PA14-JTCK-SWCLK

norem
08-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Do we have an updated list of the RCVR Channel Functions? I was poking around the dev and looks like I may need to update my JoyStick Software ;)

Lithium
08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I am busy making a little program that can help the user to program there aeroquad.
It is very simple and that is just what i needs to be.

You need to select the software folder( where reset.bat etc are located) The program will check if the files are there.
It will also check if the set filename= is on the firstline, because it needs it every time you select a bin file. ( I am not sure if the file needs to be in the same folder or i can use the full path to the file)
Select your bin file and the program will open all the executables at once, with a timeout of 30 seconds.(not sure if that is to low)
It is only windows based.
If there is anyone interested to test it for me and to give me some feedback please send me a pm :)

wingspinner
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Since it looks like it may be a few weeks or more before I can buy an AeroQuad32 board I've been trying to get it running on a Naze32 board (basically a Freeflight board). Compile and upload works ok but the board appears to go away to never-never land and is non-functional. I'm loading the image low and I'm loath to hook up the debugger. Can someone on the dev team give me a pointer. I suspect there is something that needs to be done in the configuration that's not obvious.

Thx,
Wingspinner

ala42
08-07-2012, 02:55 AM
You have to change the board type in the makefiles in the libmaple and BuildAQ32 directory. Then rebuild libmaple once and rebuild the AQ code.

wingspinner
08-07-2012, 06:04 PM
You have to change the board type in the makefiles in the libmaple and BuildAQ32 directory. Then rebuild libmaple once and rebuild the AQ code.

Thanks ala42. Ahhhh, that must be it. I changed it in the BuildAQ32 but not in the libmaple directory. Thanks so much! - Ron

Mikro
08-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Just wanted to share the latest status of the boards with you. Honk was able to fix the LED driver issue and Ala42 added SBUS support and did a final review of the latest changes with our manufacturer. We're thinking of putting a heat sink on the 3.3V regulator, but other than that we should be good for a real production run! I'll keep you up to date on when the general date we expect the next run of boards to become available.

firehopper
08-08-2012, 02:34 AM
awesome mikro :)

Nikotine
08-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Great! Can't wait!

It is all in the schematics :) PXY is the name of the CPU pin. X is a letter, Y a number.
AeroQuad32 external pin mapping

Ala42, I've taken the freedom to add this to the Wiki.

bryanpearson
08-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Yay!

Lithium
08-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Guys i have a question.
I you look at the top left of your board (top side). You see 3 resistors next to each other.
Here a photo of q6600: http://i.imgur.com/SRxhr.jpg
You can see 3 resistors. I am missing the left one, cppm is not working for me. Could that be the reason? It should be R30 (1K)

kha
08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Yes, I think my board (earlier beta round) was missing one of these too, actually I tought I accidentally pulled it off while soldering headers but may have been missing prior to that).

The resistor is for protection and you can just solder over it (as the pin behind is 5V safe) or use any resistor valued <=1kOhm.

Or you can move the PPM input to another pin by editing Libraries/AQ_Receiver/Receiver_STM32PPM.h

#ifdef BOARD_aeroquad32
static byte receiverPin = Port2Pin('D', 15);
#endif

to

#ifdef BOARD_aeroquad32
static byte receiverPin = Port2Pin('D', 14);
#endif

Lithium
08-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I pulled out the other resistor next to it and placed it to the first one. Works now. Thanks.

kha
08-12-2012, 08:22 AM
wingspinner/ala42: did you get it workking on naze already.... I was looking a bit over and I can compile both AQ and libmaple but is bootloader needed?

--Kari

ala42
08-12-2012, 03:41 PM
No bootloader needed for the FreeFlight/Naze, flash it to 0x08000000.

kha
08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Ok that was what I was planning to try, thanks again.

When I get that running I will update web builder to be able to do that too ;-)

mmonti
08-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Is the magnetometer working now ?

Kenny9999
08-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I've fix the mag on the dev branch! :)

Arjenlodder
08-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Nice, I'm going to test this really soon :)

mmonti
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Is the Dev Branch somewhat safe to fly in a Y6 again? I have not used it for awhile.

Arjenlodder
08-12-2012, 07:17 PM
It works great for me! Unfortunately I could only run a small test due to my stupid fingers not reacting quick enough, haha.
But when it was up it held its yaw position really good, better than without mag!

Kenny9999
08-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Is the Dev Branch somewhat safe to fly in a Y6 again? I have not used it for awhile.

It always have been, motor config command did not change since v3.0

norem
08-13-2012, 08:56 AM

If the dev branch is what the WebBuider is using compass is still doing squirrely stuff going negative when going from 0 to 350 deg and after passing thru 180 starts going negative again ...

Kenny9999
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
If the dev branch is what the WebBuider is using compass is still doing squirrely stuff going negative when going from 0 to 350 deg and after passing thru 180 starts going negative again ...

hmm... i'll look into it when I have a minutes!

norem
08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Thank you Sir

Nikotine
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi Mikro, what's the ETA on the next batch of baloo's?
I fubared my 2.0.7 shield. It's fixable but would like to go straight for the baloo.

wooden
08-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Couple comments/questions after finally getting home and setting my eyes on the real thing for the first time:

1) The labeling is super duper cramped. Why are some things labeled in-between the outer pads (for example, RX3/TX3, SRV0-3, etc.) while others are stuck practically on top of components (MISO2, MOSI2, all receiver pins...)? Some consistency would be nice, and the ones in-between the pins are certainly easier to read, I'd go with that method.
2) Why are the receiver pins laid out such as they are (ch1 is above 8, 2 above 7, etc.)? Cabling would be easier if ch1 was above 2, 3 above 4, etc., as most receivers have ch1 next to ch2, not ch8.... Hell, no traces need to be changed to fix this, just labels and software. 5V is right above GND, making power a simple 2-pin cable, why not do the same for the data channels? This would mean 5 total 2-pin cables for all 8 channels and power, instead of 1x 2-pin cable and 2x 4-pin cables that break into single lines.
3) Is the reset line TRST? I'm assuming grounding this resets the board.
4) If I were to buy another one, I'd like the pins included but not soldered on, I doubt I'll be using a lot of them and I recall someone frying a component on accident by plugging a cable into the wrong spot. Probably safer for the final production rounds.

Just my $0.02, still stoked to test her out!

Lithium
08-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi guys, i would like to attach my osd. I rememberd tgat there is a video of the Nice speed bit i can not fine a lay-out hoe to connect it to the board. Can someone help me with that?

Airwolf
08-16-2012, 10:03 AM
@Lithium: Use the wiki power! ;)

Lithium
08-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Aah that is better :) thanks!

ala42
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
5V is right above GND, making power a simple 2-pin cable, why not do the same for the data channels? This would mean 5 total 2-pin cables for all 8 channels and power, instead of 1x 2-pin cable and 2x 4-pin cables that break into single lines.
I do not see what prevents you from using 4x2-pin cables for the signal lines. If you can manage to plug four signal cables vertical on the board, you can also plug two horizontal on the top side and two horizontal on the bottom side.
If you insist on mounting them vertically, just swap the mapping in the source code, which is very easy, as the pins are listed in an array. There is also a second array available to swap the pins, which is currently filled with 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

wooden
08-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Haha upon waking up this morning I realized just that... 19+ hours of airports/airplanes made me blind to that fact.... carry on!

kha
08-16-2012, 04:44 PM
If you insist on mounting them vertically, just swap the mapping in the source code, which is very easy, as the pins are listed in an array. There is also a second array available to swap the pins, which is currently filled with 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

I'm actually thinking about moving the channel order system of the PPM side to the generic receiver code for both AQ32 and Arduino, and also making it a little clearer.

wooden
08-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Fired it up - reads only 2.8V with USB connection, but everything works. Sensor data looks great, very stable. I'm putting it on my mini to see if I can't get that thing flying for once!

wooden
08-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Little confused on uploading code with Linux systems, mainly this part:

Add the codesourcery "bin" directory to your path "export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/sourcery/bin/" (you may want to make this permanent by editing .profile or whatever).

In Terminal, I typed "export PATH=$PATH:/Downloads/" which is where the sourceryg++.....bin file is, nothing happens though so I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Then, when I type "make -C Libmaple/libmaple library" while in the BuildAQ32 directory, I get this response:

make: *** Libmaple/libmaple: No such file or directory. Stop.

Eh? I've never been the biggest fan of command line but I can usually stumble my way through, not sure where I went wrong here, though.

EDIT: I see what happened, but I get a different error now. The Wiki says to navigate to the BuildAQ32 folder too early, you need to be in the main AeroQuad folder for that libmaple command to work. Regardless, I got this response:

[CC] ./libmaple/adc.c/bin/sh: arm-none-eabi-gcc: command not found
make: *** [build/./libmaple/adc.o] Error 127

I'm guessing this means it's certain something went wrong with the first "export PATH" command.

kha
08-16-2012, 07:41 PM
You need to run the downloaded file (it is an installer). The onstaller can add the bin directory created to your path tgen.

wooden
08-16-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't understand - double clicking the sourceryg++.bin file creates a file of the same name with .cpgz as the extension. Double clicking that file creates another .bin...

kha
08-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't understand - double clicking the sourceryg++.bin file creates a file of the same name with .cpgz as the extension. Double clicking that file creates another .bin...

I think you downloaded something else than you should have....

Go to http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/

Get the ARM processor / EABI release

wooden
08-16-2012, 08:48 PM
All the downloads on that page under ARM processors also just create .cpgz files when double clicked.

Lithium
08-20-2012, 07:54 PM
I tried OSD today with the maxim ic. How does it comes that the osd overlay is so slow? It's even slower then on the mega.

kha
08-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Move the updateOSD call to 50Hz loop, this was tested by q6600 and it makes it really smooth.

It should be exactly same than on mega by default.

I have two things for osd on my todo list on baloo

1) make the max7456 osd use dma driven SPI, with that we can put it ib 50Hz loop and it will still use less cpu than before (as data transfer occurs in background.

2) implement graphic OSD using just few gates and lm1881. This is made possible by the same dma driven spi.

Lithium
08-20-2012, 09:08 PM
mmm okey so it's not at 50hz by default. Could that be a nice option? If it works why don't use it 50hz at default.
I need to edit the software by hand and compile it offline?

q6600
08-20-2012, 11:07 PM
mmm okey so it's not at 50hz by default. Could that be a nice option? If it works why don't use it 50hz at default.
I need to edit the software by hand and compile it offline?

Yep, just move the call to the 50Hz loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn8TslBUvok

Lithium
08-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah i have seen your video that's why i was wondering why it was not at 50hz here.

kha
08-21-2012, 11:02 AM
If you dont have compile setup; putting 50hz into webcompilers advanced box does the move.

You should see "patching file AeroQuad/AeroQuad.ino" in the log.

mmonti
08-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I did the OSD move to the 50hz loop myself(compiled locally). I got one flight in just after dark and WOW, what a improvement to OSD performance.
So smooth and responsive. Nice....I can't wait to get the goggles on and do some FPVing.

Lithium
08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Kha do you mean the word 50hz in the advanced input?

When using the work 50hz i indeed see "patching file AeroQuad/AeroQuad.ino" in the log.

Edit:

That works so nice! Thanks :)

kha
08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Just be warned that this 50Hz OSD is just flight tested, the timing behaviour with it is not statically tested. So if you crash you have only yourself to blame (as if that would not be the case anyway). :rolleyes:

mmonti
08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Just be warned that this 50Hz OSD is just flight tested, the timing behaviour with it is not statically tested. So if you crash you have only yourself to blame (as if that would not be the case anyway). :rolleyes:

I had a 15min flight last night 100% OK. Current Dev. branch software with OSD moved to 50hz loop and camera stab defined as well.
About 10% in Rate mode (default tuning) and some altitude hold. Flight was "hands-off-stable" in stable mode with alt. hold on. (after a bit of trimming)
Late evening testing 0 wind.

I would not consider that a complete test but it is a good start.

Lithium
08-21-2012, 03:17 PM
I made a 12 mins flight and it is working great till now. Noticed that the altitude does not display, it stays at 0. I defined it in the online compiler.

Kenny9999
08-21-2012, 03:30 PM
You guy's have good result with altitude hold???

Lithium
08-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Well it works, it bumps a little up and down that's all.

Kenny9999
08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
on baloo? up and down of how many?

mmonti
08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
You guy's have good result with altitude hold???

Not to bad with default PIDs at low level (sonar) I had it working fairly well.
But recently I see diffrences between OSD settings and configurator settings that are confusing.

ie;
OSD menu has PIDs for baro and sonar.
Configurator has Altiude PIDs (I'm assuming that is baro) and Z Dampening PIDs

I don't have any idea how they interact or what to be tweaking right now. I'm just waiting and watching the dev branch for updates.
Also as a side note,
Right now in configurator V3.1 B5, in Miscellaneous Configuration, I get an error trying to change Voltage Reff or Min Armed Throttle.

I saw a few days back that there working on a updated configurator, so I'm guessing that will go away.

Lithium
08-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes with the baloo. I think one meter or one and a half. If you hold the altitude hold on for a longer time it will be bigger.
Is the analog barometer used to control the altitude or the digital one?
Default value's

Arjenlodder
08-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Yes with the baloo. I think one meter or one and a half. If you hold the altitude hold on for a longer time it will be bigger.
Is the analog barometer used to control the altitude or the digital one?
Default value's

I can confirm this. Especially the part about longer = bigger. Its a real big difference between start and a minute after.

Kenny9999
08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Ok, that the confirmation I needed... longuer = bigger... I surely broke something somewhere :(

About miscellaneous config, it's normal, I've change some little things, Remove the gyro smoothing, never used it personally, and 1 was always, no filtering. ref voltage is only used for shield v1.7, and lower, won't affect things by changing that. min arm throttle is still really used!

Dev branch is dev branch

mmonti
08-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the input Kenny.
I figured it was minor. But I have some motors that want a bit more for min. I changed what I thought was min.throttle (it looked like it worked)
and crashed test flying it.
I found that at a very large roll input it shut down a motor. Tracked that back to bad value in Min armed throttle.

Just sharing my experiences, do with it as you will.

Got to expect a few broken props flying the Dev Branch..... Got to Love It !!! Never a compliant coming from me! just COMPLIMENTS !

norem
08-26-2012, 05:13 AM
For example current sensors work just fine, here is what I put on the Custom box
3,BATT_ANALOG_INPUT,25.3,0,A6,33,0

This is good for flytron 50A sensor wired to ADC6 (limited to 33A by lower AREF)

kha what would one put in for the currently sold autto pilot voltage and current sensor got the current with the above setting, I'm usinh a 7 volt in to chill out the onboard regulators so want to get the voltage from the autto sensor

thanx

kha
08-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Well to ise the attopilot voltage you change battanalogin to the pin you connected voltage output from atto and change the scale value to get voltage right.

Warning, do not do this with the flytron sensor as the vout on it is not scaled to 0-3v3 but direct battery voltage.

Nikotine
08-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Any ETA on the next shipment of boards? I've been aground for too long :(

Sicarius
08-30-2012, 07:41 AM
I've been playing with the beta board i recently got my grubby hands on, but i'm running into an issue with the web builder v/s hand compiling.. The wonderful people over at Mentor Graphics won't send me a download link for the CodeBench Lite, and all i want to do is make my OSD update rate at 50 Hz.. is there something in the Web based builder advanced line i can do it with?
Also, why not include some sort of Ini files that users with moderate experience can change? It's quite a hassle for me to learn all this new information, that i will need exactly once for this purpose, after that i will probably only tweak some stuff, but most will be done through configurator..

kha
08-30-2012, 08:25 AM
... OSD update rate at 50 Hz.. is there something in the Web based builder advanced line i can do it with?

50hz

Also, why not include some sort of Ini files that users with moderate experience can change? It's quite a hassle for me to learn all this new information, that i will need exactly once for this purpose, after that i will probably only tweak some stuff, but most will be done through configurator..

We have some plans to make AeroQuad v4 to always compile in all features and make them settable on the fly similarry to how some other SW:s already do. This will mean that the AQ v4 will likely only drop atmega328 suppor in favor of just atmega2560/stm32.

Mavvie
08-30-2012, 09:23 AM
I wonder where Sicarius got his beta board...
In other news, when does the next shipment arrive, my beta board has disapeared because i'm going for one with working led drivers.

Sicarius
08-30-2012, 10:40 AM
I wonder where Sicarius got his beta board...
In other news, when does the next shipment arrive, my beta board has disapeared because i'm going for one with working led drivers.

Hey Mavvie, i think i found your beta board! :P

rolsch
08-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Hello,
i'm new user in this forum.

I'll search information how i can anon-checkout the open-source AeroQuad-32 firmware sources to my local computer and compile it for testing.

I've Win7 64bit and ubuntu here as dev-machine.

Regards
rolsch

Airwolf
08-30-2012, 02:10 PM
The sources can be found in our GitHub repository (https://github.com/AeroQuad/AeroQuad/tree/development) and instructions how to compile them are located in our wiki.

Cloning the GitHub repository to your computer can be done for example with TortoiseGit (http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/).

rolsch
08-31-2012, 11:15 AM
@kha: thanks for the wiki-link (compiling firmware...)

What is the hardware status has the aeroquad-32 board, beta build (release-boards comes in the future) or stable to fly?
I search an really stable fc-board with open source firmware.

Sicarius
08-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Rolsch,

If i'm correct, the current 'Beta' is already stable save for the LED drivers, which will be ironed out in the next batch that comes in the AQ store.
If you order it now, you will get the "non beta, released" version anyway.

wingspinner
08-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Rolsch,

If i'm correct, the current 'Beta' is already stable save for the LED drivers, which will be ironed out in the next batch that comes in the AQ store.
If you order it now, you will get the "non beta, released" version anyway.

Order now? How do you do that? The store will not allow entering an order.

How about an "official" ETA estimate from the powers that be. There are not a lot of F4 boards available yet as an alternative except maybe the $15 Discovery Board. It's form factor is not all that desirable but $15 plus a $50 IMU would certainly be a low cost alternative. There is also the Multicopter32 F4 board but it's rather expensive. The other way is a $60 Naze32 board (which I have almost working) or Cortex 3 Maple board and an MPU6000/6050 IMU with that combination costing well under $100 (which is still more compute power than needed for the current software) or the However, in my opinion the AeroQuad32 board and the dev AeroQuad software is the best F4 cost performance and cleanest solution on the market (well, not quite on the market to be accurate). I want one!!!!

I'm currently part of the AutoQuad beta and have two of those boards and it looks to be an amazing FC but it's well over $300 and it takes more time to calibrate than to build the whole copter (well, not really but it's definitely not fun - the calibration process I mean :-) ).

Anyway, please give us some insight into next availability and I'm eager to pay in advance if it get's me one earlier.

Thanks,
Wingspinner

Nikotine
08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
They are in stock!!!! Woooooo!!!

Mikro
08-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Wow! You guys are fast. :) I put the boards on the site for pre-order, but haven't made an official announcement (still getting everything together). I'm trying to turn off the part on the store that it says it's in stock, but there's language everywhere else in the store entry stating that this is a pre-order.

Check it out here:
http://www.aeroquadstore.com/AeroQuad_32_Flight_Control_Board_p/aq32-001.htm

We expect to be shipping this by the middle of September, but I'll keep updating you on when the final shipping date will be. This will be fun! (Now to make sure we have the software/Configurator ready for you guys).

Sniperp
08-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Wow! You guys are fast. :)
what did you expect Mikro the masses want this awesome board.

Nikotine
08-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Wow! You guys are fast. :)
I had it on my wishlist with email notification, so jumped on it right after I got the mail! ;)
I don't worry about the pre-order, at least I'm in the line to get one (presumably first in line? :cool:)

NwSlider
09-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Yes! Got one... or at least pre-ordered :) so excited!

rolsch
09-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Ok,
AQ32 is on pre-order :)

But when can i compiling a AQ32-firm with "#define UseGPS" in the UserConfiguration.h?

Compiling C++: ../AeroQuad32/AeroQuadMain.cpp
In file included from /home/fritz/Desktop/AeroQuad/AeroQuad32/AeroQuadMain.cpp:20:0:
/home/fritz/Desktop/AeroQuad/AeroQuad32/../AeroQuad/AeroQuad.ino:66:26: fatal error: FastSerial.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [objSTM32/dummy/../AeroQuad32/AeroQuadMain.o] Fehler 1
make: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/fritz/Desktop/AeroQuad/BuildAQ32'

Compiling with "//#define UseGPS" works...

Regards
rolsch

kha
09-02-2012, 11:58 AM
You can compile when some one (likely me) has time to port/reimplement the GPS library. It is on top of my list.

rolsch
09-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks kha.

Work's after this fix the GPS functions (POSI-Hold, RTH, Waypoint's)?

-> these nice functions are the main reason "buy a AQ32" ;-)

kha
09-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Well those advanced funtions are in experimental state and may not work too well yet but they are being worked on.

Kenny is more focused on that part.

rolsch
09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Ok, i'll look forward and
support this opensource project with my basic programming and technical knowledge.

Airwolf
09-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I would like to power the AeroQuad32 board from a 4s LiPo. In the store it states that there's additional heat sinks on the regulators necessary.

Is this really needed / will the regulators be damaged without heat sinks? If yes, how do I mount them on the regulators?

kha
09-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Yes mountting heatsink would be tricky.

I would recommend having a external dc-dc stepdown providing 9-12V to the aq32. You can get adjustable switching stepdowns from ebay for under $2 shipped.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=280942757086

Honk
09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
If you're getting an external switched regulator, turn the voltage down as much as possible, I'd aim for 7-8V but make sure the 5V regulator still puts out 5V during working load, which means put everything on it and adjust the external voltage to the whole board until the 5V is stable.

Sure linear regulators gets hot, but there's many reasons we put them there. For one it's about space and price - gets a lot smaller and cheaper using linear regulators. Another reason is we don't want additional noise to enter the system if we can avoid it. Switched regulators are of course better but as said takes more space and also probably would have taken more iteration cycles of development.

The onboard regulators are not for powering everything external you have. Use other power sources for that.

What is kinda important here is that this is a minimalist board. It is supposed to be very cheap and have as few "unnecessary" parts on it as possible, but rather be expandable. Power modules takes space and can cost, this board is not intended to drive huge loads. It's just like with GPS units or telemetry modules or whatever - the Baloo is only mainly meant to pass/process data but can as a bonus be flown all by itself, just as the AQ Mini board.

I see people asking or having thoughts about position hold and all kinds of "I want to make a 100% autonomous quad!" very often. The Baloo is not much more than any of the other AQ boards at the moment except for its expanded internal processing abilities... What is interesting is stuff like Centeye (http://centeye.com/) that Jihlein talked about in another thread.

Airwolf
09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I already thought about powering the board from an external regulator. The only issue that arises then is that the battery monitor will not function correctly anymore (without further modifications). And this is something I want to keep functional.

The only external component that I power now from the on-board regulators is the receiver. All other parts (GPS/OSD/video stuff) are powered separately from other sources. Nevertheless the regulators are getting very quickly very hot when the board is connected to a fully charged 4s LiPo.

Btw, my intention was not to criticize the board design - on the contrary I really like the minimalist approach and I think the Baloo is a great piece of hardware. I hope you didn't get me wrong here!

Honk
09-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Yes, dropping from 16.8V down to 3.3V making all between into heat will get hot... :) If I recall correctly I made the voltage divider for measuring supply voltage suited up towards 25V before bottoming out the 3.3V ref'd ADC.

Probably the next iteration, if there'll be one, should have separate power supply and battery voltage pins that are (externally or onboard) bridgable. This will mean you can use an external regulator for powering the board but still measure the battery voltage while not having to solder in a wire to those divider resistors. That ain't much of a job though really. You just have to find the "RAW" trace on the board and cut it just before it hits the voltage divider and solder in a wire there from the battery. Just make sure it does not risk touching anything else under no circumstances.

No problem, I get what you mean. I'm just trying to give some tips.

As I've said many times, I'm still very interested in making a daughter board for the Baloo that will contain some other features whatever they might be.

ala42
09-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Come on, just connect an external voltage divider (just two resistors) to one of the six ADC inputs and you are done without cutting traces. This for sure is no reason for a routing change.

kha
09-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Yeah just ose one of the extra adcs. I'm not sure if I put an example on batterymonitor page on howto use the custombattery define for that.

Airwolf
09-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Ok, Ok, you guys convinced me. :)

I'll just use an external regulator and add a voltage divider circuit. Thanks for the help!

norem
09-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah just ose one of the extra adcs. I'm not sure if I put an example on batterymonitor page on howto use the custombattery define for that.

Still looking for an example of using the AttoPilot for both "voltage and current" with the AQ32 I understand it can be added via Custom Battery config but I'm not quite getting how to enter both...

Thanx for any help

kha
09-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I will give config lines later today