PDA

View Full Version : kitchen hoover try out

luc
05-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Just tested hoovering on kitchen table.
Solved mistery of one right robbe ESC (brake function was still active)
Left boom still gently supported with one hand for safty reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_opoaUhQi1s

JamesDavis
05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
looking good!!

I'm still waiting for my first component to come, but getting real itchy fingers watching how you guys are getting on.

( i think my wife would kill me if i even thought about a test hover on the kitchen table)

luc
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
;) not elvis, but wife has left my building some time ago. But still it's great to test, and even just this afternoon, in the garden, some altitude already, but very unstable, he always wants to go in one direction, and when i correct, he corrects for the action i want, but to get him stable again is not so easy. Uptil now, i always made a fairly good landing ;) so when i landed 3 times without damage, i stop for the day, and go to the kitchen table.
Unfortunately, my antenna was inside for the video, and did not capture enough noise free image. Hopefully this wkend i will get the 2.4 Ghz video link better working.

thanks for the reply ;)

infantryoif
05-06-2010, 08:05 PM
looks like everything's on track!

middelbh
05-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Luc,

Great to see your progress! I'm jealous..I'm still working on frame, a lot to do and think over before reaching your status! Compliments!

Hans

luc
05-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks Hans,
I'm still a long way off a stable flight though.
But slowly and with the usual cuts and brooken prop's i'm getting there.
Just finished the 2.4 Ghz video hookup. The video before was taken with the netbook's built in Video camera. this one here is now with the 2.4Ghz Video link active, and as you can see, as soon as the motors get armed, and up to speed some interference is getting into the wires. So i will need better shielding on the video cables, and some decoupling on the power supply of the 2.4Ghz TX.
Hope to see your setup soon too,

PS: Video capture software is great and freeware :
'Debut Video Capture Software'

Take care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFgrcr4uhc

luc
05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Getting there Infantryoif ;)
Let's see what the weekend brings...

looks like everything's on track!

RCvertt
05-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Sounds like you're making progress.

Did you ever get that shield you were waiting for or are you still using the proto shield?

luc
05-07-2010, 09:29 AM
It's the real Mc coy this time ;)
The shield arrived about 1 day after I was testing the Mega Protoshield. So now it's the V1.7 that is in use, with the jumpers for Mega.
It's going the right way.
Just yesterday i was looking into the two extra channels that are used, Mode and Aux, i found that one is used for switching between Acro and Stable mode, but i could not find anything about the other function. If it is unused i was thinking of using it for switching of my 2.4Ghz video link remotely.
When the battery is getting to low, i can still get some extra juice for a safe landing.

RCvertt
05-07-2010, 11:15 PM
It's the real Mc coy this time ;)

...i was looking into the two extra channels that are used, Mode and Aux...
Sounds good.

If (#define AutoLevel) is uncommented then the Gear/Mode/Channel5 switch is used to turn "StableMode" on or off.
If (#define HeadingHold) is uncommented then the Flap/Channel6 switch is used to turn "Heading Hold" on or off.

You can modify the code to leave one of these on or off permanently and use the switch of something else. I'm currently using the three position switch to tilt my motors.

You can also use a TX that supports 7 channels. I'm not sure if the AeroQuad receiver code is set up to read a seventh channel though.

luc
05-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Good info, thanks.
Just checked if there was any reply here, it's 1.31 AM, so, time to shut down.
I think i will use the heading hold channel, and use a pin for switching 5 volt to some small SSR, i have plenty of those here. The heading hold is for the moment not so important for me. Most important is tweeking the PIDS and getting the bird stable. I ordered the original turnigy ESC's today from Hobbyking's German stock, which saves me on import duty. I have the Robbe Roxxy 720's now, but for some reason they do not what i like. In any case they are not a waste of money, since i will build a second quad anyway, with sturdier booms. The 10x10 aluminium with 1mm thickness is much too weak in respect of crashes. I had one bend already. It's good for a first quad to get the building and testing right, but the next one has to be more quality.
Anyway, have a great wkend, and good luck with the try outs