PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Motocross Video

bryanpearson
07-29-2011, 12:22 AM
http://vimeo.com/27027567

Here's some quick and dirty video I shot this Sunday. Nothing too fancy. My friends where ripping around the track so I figured I better film it.

I should have gotten way, WAY closer, but I was super worried about harming the riders. Next time I'll really go for it and get in close. Oh well.

The footage turned out ok. 24" m2m, Attitude flight, 3 batteries, two 2200mAh, one 4000mAh.

As requested, regular speed video: http://vimeo.com/27073206

KirAsh4
07-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Pretty awesome. And while you could've gotten a lot closer, keep in mind that to them you're buzzing them with something that has 16 fast spinning knives. Better be safe than sorry. If you're shooting HD, you should have plenty of resolution to be able to zoom in in post processing and get some pretty cool video.

Scotth
07-29-2011, 12:44 AM
That's great. Video is really clean. Very little rolling shutter. Any chance you rendered a version without the slow motion? I like to see the speed of the bikes....

bryanpearson
07-29-2011, 12:56 AM
That's great. Video is really clean. Very little rolling shutter. Any chance you rendered a version without the slow motion? I like to see the speed of the bikes....

I've already rendered as much as I want to today :) I'll try and get a faster version for ya tomorrow or something.

Scotth
07-29-2011, 01:03 AM
No hurry. I know rendering sucks. Thanks!

Bluerex
07-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Fantastic! Did you get any feedback from the riders?
I have been surprised by real helicopters when rallying around the hill of Canberra (coming over a crest to find a chopper hovering in front of you is a bit off-putting), did these guys even notice your quad?
Oh and I don't think you need to get closer, your safety paranoia is spot-on!

Charles.

Honk
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
It's so well made it's disturbing. :) Very nice. And yeah, I too would like to see the full speed version (raw). I seem to never achieve such stability. Guess you have the GoPro mounted stiff to the frame (no servo's or anything)?

Oh and I really think one thing is strange... Does GoPro video's taken in the states always appear much better quality? I mean in light and contrast and such? Or is it just me? Maybe it's something special with the deserts/sun or something!

bryanpearson
07-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Fantastic! Did you get any feedback from the riders? ... did these guys even notice your quad?
Oh and I don't think you need to get closer, your safety paranoia is spot-on!

Charles.

I'm not sure if they noticed. The two riders that keep showing up over and over in the video knew it was there, but the other guys didn't really notice. The owners of the track really liked it, even though I was being paranoid and scared to start flying as I thought they would get mad at me. But after I lifted off, the safety-flaggers and owners came over and were trying to get me to do tricks and get closer and stuff. It was pretty funny. They were way, WAY into it.

Closeness: I was quite a ways away. I would like to get a little more creative on flight paths next time I go to the track. If you think of the track being 20-30 foot across, I could easily fly in a 10 foot wide path down the track and follow a rider. Or tilt the GoPro so it's pointing straight down. It would be a cool shot of guys going over jumps and whoops from directly above. I'll get closer next time, for sure.

FPV: I've got the gear for a FPV setup, the only thing I'm missing is goggles. I'm thinking a cheap portable DVD player screen with work if I put a towel over it and my head. Something like that anyway. I don't have the $300 for cool goggles :(

bryanpearson
07-29-2011, 03:06 PM
It's so well made it's disturbing. :) Very nice. And yeah, I too would like to see the full speed version (raw). I seem to never achieve such stability. Guess you have the GoPro mounted stiff to the frame (no servo's or anything)?

Oh and I really think one thing is strange... Does GoPro video's taken in the states always appear much better quality? I mean in light and contrast and such? Or is it just me? Maybe it's something special with the deserts/sun or something!

I'll work on getting the normal speed video made. Since the GoPro does 60fps, it's at half speed in the Vimeo video. I'll do a double/normal speed version for you guys.

I don't know about the quality of the footage in the US vs other places, but thanks for the compliments! It's super fun to make these little vids, quads are a handy tool. That's for sure.

Scotth
07-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Here is a test video I did recently. I was looking for smoothness with objects close to the camera. Almost there. No post processing, straight out of the camera. I am using a different lens in the GoPro, with a bit of a zoom. I don't like the fish eye look of the stock lens. This lens makes it a bit more difficult to get smooth footage. Cam is mounted on a Tri, with an arm length of 22cm. 60 fps 720p video.

http://youtu.be/Bh5tOQXdJ34

bryanpearson
07-30-2011, 02:32 AM
Ok, as requested, here's the same video with the footage at 'full'/'regular' speed. http://vimeo.com/27073206

It's not 100% regular speed, because in a couple spots/seconds of the original I had the footage at regular speed, so now those spots are double speed! Oh well, I didn't want to take the time to re-edit anything, so I just doubled the final video. Enjoy!

Scotth
07-30-2011, 05:40 AM
Thanks Bryan!

Honk
07-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Yeah thanks! Was very stable in flight I think, although slow-mo apparently do a lot to video's. I think slow-mo can actually in some cases substitute any deshaker and stuff like that...

I'm thinking on spending some hard earned money on a GoPro but I'm not really sure. Not sure of it at all it will be much better than the much cheaper but comparable camera I already got, and also with the huge price tags on everything associated with GoPro... Seems the rolling shutter thing is very common in the GoPro vids, have never seen it with any other camera that much that I can think of.

Seems everyone prefers to shoot in 720/60fps with the GoPro's, why? To get better slow-mo video's?

And Scott, I think your lens looks quite good, but there's still a lot of fish-eye in the corners... Somehow I like the fisheye style.

Oh and Bryan, not because I'm skilled enough yet, but if I could I would have tried following the riders along the track going backwards with the quad so that you see the front of the bikes while they go. Probably very hard though! :)

KirAsh4
07-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Somewhere, I seem to have seen a post of a certain person (Honk) saying he was going to bed ... hrm ... *grin*

Hey, don't spend all your hard earned money on shipping too ... take 6 months off, come over here, find yourself a girl, you know, the whole nine yards ... buy the camera too and just take it back in your luggage.

Honk
07-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Hehe, back at work now! Had a few hours in bed before though. Couldn't sleep long however, was dreaming of hotel room keys and PID settings and motor mixings... I may become permanently damaged.

Well, I'm still having these back-and-forth thoughts about how to dispose the money. Within the multirotor domain :) Where can I make the largest improvements. I mean if I want a good video, instead of making the craft extremely super awesomely stable and such, maybe another camera will help, or yeah well help with better image quality if nothing else. Of course it won't control the copter for me, I know that much. Guess I'm just a little jealous of all the GoPro vids.

Hehe, you're persistent about traveling... Well, for the moment I think I just have enough to have the airline company drop me off in the middle of the Atlantic ocean :P

KirAsh4
07-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Okay, what on earth do the hotel room keys have to do with a quad? You planning on building a tiny quad made out of keys? Check yer gmail by the way ...

bryanpearson
08-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah thanks! ...

Seems everyone prefers to shoot in 720/60fps with the GoPro's, why? To get better slow-mo video's?

That's why I do it! And almost everybody I know. When you edit/convert it the right way, shooting at 60fps gives you the option for silky-smooth 50% video, without damaging the 100%/regular speed footage either. Best of both worlds.

Scotth
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Honk, the 720P 60fps setting seems help with rolling shutter issues. I don't know if its the field of view, or faster shutter speed, but the jello vision effect is greatly reduced at 60fps. It also provides smoother video, when played back at 60fps. The 60fps does provide a means for smooth slow motion as well.

I personally like the 1080p's resolution and field of view, but the aircraft has to be nearly vibration free to get good footage with out jello. You have to be really slow on your aircraft movements at 30fps too, or your footage won't be smooth. There will be big gaps of movement between frames, making the footage "jerky".