PDA

View Full Version : lost quad

q6600
06-26-2011, 05:56 AM
I've been trying to learn how to pilot via FPV, this was my second session... cocked it up on the landing, took the goggles off way too early, wind took it away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivDG2v4mU-M

7 days lost in the woods, notice how I pass under the quad 10 min after the crash (gopro was on the ground, quad in the tree)

lokling
06-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Bravo, congratulations :-)

q6600
06-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Bravo, congratulations :-)

the video you sent and the encouragement on IRC was crucial in keeping my hopes up after a few days

iamsurya
06-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I wonder how expensive (battery wise) it would be to include a small buzzer on the quad. Should make it easier to locate it.

Great video though q6600

lokling
06-26-2011, 09:25 AM
There´s some RF transmitting beacons that you can put on your quad for easier tracking. Transmitting on Walkie-talkie frequencies so you can use a cheap radio to track it.

q6600
06-26-2011, 07:55 PM
There´s some RF transmitting beacons that you can put on your quad for easier tracking. Transmitting on Walkie-talkie frequencies so you can use a cheap radio to track it.

do you have one in mind?
i found this http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html

lokling
06-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Well, I got the idea this morning that something like that must exist, and found that one - got one in the mail for me now. No experience with it. Small investment as I´m going to try some FPV during the upcoming summer holiday :-)

bryanpearson
06-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Awesome video! Good wrap-up and lessons for us all :)

Honk
06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Very nice and inspiring! Priceless found-the-quad smile! :) And very good music too! Love Tarantino movies...

I'm wondering what happened to the main lipo? Was it unplugged at impact, or did it just drain for 7 days? If so, wasn't it swollen and damaged really bad?

q6600
06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Very nice and inspiring! Priceless found-the-quad smile! :) And very good music too! Love Tarantino movies...

I'm wondering what happened to the main lipo? Was it unplugged at impact, or did it just drain for 7 days? If so, wasn't it swollen and damaged really bad?

Thanks Honk

the lipo and gopro were stuck on using Velcro, quad to lipo, lipo to gopro.
On impact the gopro fell to the floor, the lipo separated from the quad and hanged by the deans connector ( quad stuck in tree ), 20 min after the crash, in the video, I heard the lipo falling almost on the gopro. EDIT: it fell after I walked under the quad/it
I found it in the sun, puffed up but was still at 10.8v +/-, i threw it in a bucket of salt water for a couple of days and will recycle it today.
40$ loss, nothing else broke, not even a prop.

bryanpearson
06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
+1 for quad durability

Nikotine
06-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Congrats on finding it back! Amazing that you walked right under it only 10 mins after the crash. I would have never gone back to that spot to look, because I had already been there!

Were you flying in Rate or Attitude mode?
If you were in Rate, and you saw you were losing control, would it have helped if you switched to Attitude so the quad would level itself, giving you the time to put on the fpv goggles again?

This is not criticism. I've got only about 2 hours flight time yet. Just trying to find out what I should do if I were in that situation.

q6600
06-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Congrats on finding it back! Amazing that you walked right under it only 10 mins after the crash. I would have never gone back to that spot to look, because I had already been there!

Were you flying in Rate or Attitude mode?
If you were in Rate, and you saw you were losing control, would it have helped if you switched to Attitude so the quad would level itself, giving you the time to put on the fpv goggles again?

This is not criticism. I've got only about 2 hours flight time yet. Just trying to find out what I should do if I were in that situation.

Once you look everywhere, there's only everywhere to look. It took me 7 days to make it back there.

sloppy Rate mode, there are many things I could have done, this was my second FPV session and I panicked.
I could have put it into attitude mode, raised the throttle and ran for the goggles.
At the time I was only thinking, keep it from going over the hill, once i lost sight i cut the motors ( the bit it's looking at the sun )