PDA

View Full Version : Zip-Tie Quad First Flight Ever

viper98
06-16-2011, 03:38 AM
Well i finally got everything working enough to give a maiden flight a try today. This is the first quad i ever built, first thing i've EVER flown, and i had an amazing time building it. Its just a simple frame built from towel bars and a piece of scrap aluminum. It seems like everything on the quad is held together with zip-ties so thats what i decided to call it(: Flying in acro mode until i get a accel.

KDA 20-22L Motors
20A Hobbyking ESCs
APC 10x4.7 props
Hobbyking 6ch TX/RX
ITG-3200 Gyro
Everything connected together on a breadboard until i get an AQ shield

My not be anything impressive at all, but none the less i am amazed i was able to plan, build, and then it be flyable. i love it.

More updates are to come as i improve my quad(:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ2iZNgwZsM

braderston
06-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Nice! First flight of any self-made quad is always impressive. I hope to get mine done soon too!

Darkwolf
06-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Congrats on liftoff :)

viper98
06-16-2011, 04:00 AM
Thanks! it was quite impressive to see myself. I word to the wise for your first flight, deffently go to a big open field. i tried doing it in my front yard at first, but got nervous when it got too close to my car. It drifted quite a lot, still trying to learn the controls.

oh yes! you dont want these things spinning anywhere near your body, i was bored the other night and started hand spinning the motor with prop attached, and let it slightly knick my calf. Just that was enough to draw some blood, and that was just lasily hand spinning them.

Darkwolf
06-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Yeah, I'll second that. Also, stand upwind. I had mine start flying towards me when the wind blew, and that was a bit worrying :D

bryanpearson
06-16-2011, 04:26 AM
Nice first flight and vid! Once you get used to the controls a bit, try getting above the ground-effect. (3'+) You'll find hovering in one place easier, and the over correcting isn't as bad. IMHO.

Nice work. Gotta love zip ties!