PDA

View Full Version : Aeroquad acrobatics

schebb
05-19-2011, 06:02 AM
A couple of videos of my 13 year old son doing some flips, rolls, loops, and general descent flying with our newly lit Aeroquad on a bit of a stormy night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH94ISPB_bw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbhwXdAku_U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bmilleker
05-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Wow I wish I could fly like that. How long has your son been flying?

Great videos!

piratedninja
05-19-2011, 07:53 AM
are you sure thats not warthox flying? :)

aadamson
05-19-2011, 03:40 PM
A couple of videos of my 13 year old son doing some flips, rolls, loops, and general descent flying with our newly lit Aeroquad on a bit of a stormy night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH94ISPB_bw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbhwXdAku_U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Very nice, did you make any of those changes we discussed to quicken up the yaw rate ?

Just curious?

Alan

schebb
05-19-2011, 04:44 PM
My son has been flying planes for about 6 years and helis for the past 2 1/2 years. He can fly some pretty smack 3D with his helis so orientation is easy for him and like all kids he has no nerves and wicked hand/eye co-ordination.

Alan, we didn't make any changes to the code but in the multiwii configurator (1.7) there are these values after the PID values which are default 0.0. I believe as you increase these numbers toward 1.0, they increase the rate at which roll, pitch, and yaw will occur. We changed the yaw to 0.6 and the pitch/roll to about 0.3 or 0.4 I think and my son likes the way it feels. It is a fairly heavy quad so we are building a lighter version with the hopes that it will be much faster.

aadamson
05-19-2011, 05:01 PM
My son has been flying planes for about 6 years and helis for the past 2 1/2 years. He can fly some pretty smack 3D with his helis so orientation is easy for him and like all kids he has no nerves and wicked hand/eye co-ordination.

Alan, we didn't make any changes to the code but in the multiwii configurator (1.7) there are these values after the PID values which are default 0.0. I believe as you increase these numbers toward 1.0, they increase the rate at which roll, pitch, and yaw will occur. We changed the yaw to 0.6 and the pitch/roll to about 0.3 or 0.4 I think and my son likes the way it feels. It is a fairly heavy quad so we are building a lighter version with the hopes that it will be much faster.

Oh, was the quad in that video running MultiWii or AQ? I thought it was the later, if so, I'm not sure which values you changed as the PID values in AQ are much different than in MWii

schebb
05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Alan,

The quad in these videos are Aeroquad hardware (V2.0.7) and MultiWii software V1.7. We started with the AQ software but after the crash in stable mode we thought we would try Multiwii software. It has been very good to us. The WM configurator allows the rate to be changed without having to directly access the code. After we build the next quad which will be based on Wii hardware and smaller and lighter, ( my son wants a quad like Warthox), I will return the quad in the videos to AQ 2.4 software and it will be our platform to continue to FPV.

Steve

ziojos
05-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Steve Congratulation, Very nice flies, your son will beat Warthox ;)
You built a real good MWii quad with high flip speed and hard manouvers (they are so fast !)

I'm sure you remember our last month discussion on AQ 2.4 Acro mode and my opinion on it!
now what do you (your son) think about ?

schebb
05-20-2011, 06:07 AM
Ziojos,

Thanks for the compliments, can't let my son see the praises as his head will grow bigger than it already is. We cannot make many direct comparisons between AQ and Multiwii software other than to say that with Multiwii my son does feel that it is easier to fly hard and still feel like you are connected to the quad. Being loyal to a fault and very thankful that Aeroquad got me started and made it seemingly quite easy, I hope that by flying both platforms and having a skilled pilot who does push the quads quite hard, that in the future we might be able to offer input to the great people at AQ so that they will be able to continue improving the flight performance of their software. For us it's all about having fun and sharing the experiences, both with building and flying.

Steve