PDA

View Full Version : Quad on quad action ...

davef
04-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Well it had to be done, quad videoing another quad from the air.
We (Bill and I) were having some fun at the local flying club.
Hope you enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5_B2-hmypA

Honk
04-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I wish I had a quad friend! :)

Any tips for practicing/flying nose in? That has always been my greatest obstacle.

aadamson
04-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Any tips for practicing/flying nose in? That has always been my greatest obstacle.

ya, everything is reversed :)... get a heli sim and practice it there.

Honk
04-10-2011, 06:03 PM
No, heli sim simply doesn't work for me... :) I'm asking how to "think"... :)

aadamson
04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
yea I know and I told you how to think.

Forward is back, back is forward
left is right, right is left

Honk
04-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd rather not have to think like that (and convert it when at the 90 deg angles too) if it's overcome somehow...

Right now I think I'm pretty good at 90 deg yaw in both sides towards myself but... There must be some good way to practice it in reality. Some tip like do figure 8's or something...?

I wanna be the next Warthox and tell everyone I coded it in as a self-flying pattern! :P

davef
04-10-2011, 06:42 PM

Here’s how I learnt to hover nose in. WARNING: Does require a model helicopter.
Start by flying in a straight line to your left and right (like you are standing halfway down a runway) and gradually turn the nose around more so that the model is coming directly towards you. As you progress, slow the forward speed down until you can hold a hover for a few seconds before moving forwards again. Rinse and repeat. Repair. Rinse and repeat some more. Repair some more…. Well you get the idea.

The quad is different though. My friend Bill (in the video) has only been flying his quad for 3 weeks and today he had it nose in! I guess he put absolute faith in my instructions that it would hold the hover (it was flat calm) as long as he didn’t twiddle the sticks. He didn’t (twiddle) and it did (hover). He's never flown a model heli.

We are both running 2.4 of the flight software and that’s a big help, though if you yank and bank (I tried with 2.4) and it will try to bite you again.

Hope this is of some help. Then again, there is the simulator?