PDA

View Full Version : Aeroquad flight #3 - complete with ESC shutdown mid flight

davef
02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
You can see (and hear) the left rear ESC shutting down during this video. I had all sorts of ideas about what was causing this, however after running out of ideas I went through three spare ESC's to find one with similar throttle characteristics to the rest of them and discovered that it’s probably the Esc that’s at fault. So far it’s had one further flight without incident. Ill give it another two test flights this weekend at low altitude and if it works then ill ‘go for it’!

After all, what could possibly go wrong? Ha ha ha! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkG0-Qhdbb0

kevo
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Dont go TOO crazy trying to match them .. The flight controller will compensate for some pretty serious mismatches .. There is a vid on youtube of a guy flying with 3 different motors and 2 different sizes of props .. :-D

Of course matched will perform better .. but its not "CRITICAL" As you saw it was able to deal with your one motor cutting out pretty well.

rb101
02-15-2011, 12:03 AM
I was having problems with ESC's randomly shutting down. I finally worked it out to be bad dean connectors between the ESC's and the motors. Some solder and tape fixed the problems.

rick

davef
02-15-2011, 12:08 PM
I have 4 new ESC's on back order with HobbyKing. Until then ill fly with this spare one. It seems to match the other ESC's quite well as it flies in Aerobatic mode as well.

Kenny9999
02-15-2011, 03:27 PM
you should always order one more!, be safe, command are long to come!

kevo
02-15-2011, 07:53 PM
you should always order one more!, be safe, command are long to come!

Totally agree .. I don't think I have ever typed the number 4 into a quantity box on HK site ..

n+1 ALWAYS !!! .. especially when it takes a month to get to you.

Seniorgeek
02-16-2011, 03:45 AM
N + 2 is more accurate, especially for props! Speaking out of experience, last weekend in particular. :(

UndCon
03-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Did you check the programming of your ESC?

If set to LIPO - change all to NIMH to avoid LIPO cutting off mid air

I crashed 2 times due to this and I've been to lazy reprogram the ESC's