Took some video flying at night after a recent snow. Interesting events at:
1.25 - Rough landing
2.52 avoiding obsticals
3.27 Take off after being embedded in show
3.50 Crash into the house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIIy-jRtKcg

Honk
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Beautifully lit up I must say! Like a star. I like the picture on the end of the video.

I have done my share of snow flying too and I have realized that snow provides mechanical protection when you crash, however, it was not very nice when I landed upside down in the snow having it all over the PCB's (the hard landing took off the housing).

Did you do any acclimatization for the sensors and then did a calibration outdoors, or did you calibrate it indoors and just begun flying? I've noticed some strange things happening if you start it up and calibrate indoors, then just rush out and start flying immediately. In my case with various sensors it has always drifted quite heavily after a few minutes of flying.

wilafau
12-30-2010, 01:30 AM
No acclimatization. Zero'd sensors in my basement, which is unheated but still warmer than outside, walked out, put the quad on the snow, and took off flying. This was preceded by much wine with a holiday meal so it is difficult to say how much of the erratic flying was sensor drift and how much was the pilot :-). I was pretty pleased with the LED light strips from HK - cheap and bright and easy to use now that the 2.0.6 shield supports it. I haven't tied my lighting in to your battery monitor code just yet, that is next on my list.