PDA

View Full Version : Flight Around Chicken Point

Scotth
12-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Did some more testing today. The quad is flying quite well. Make sure to turn down the volume, the prop noise is a little annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLiwPPM8B50

Feliksayk
12-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Great stuff, love the views. Post a pic or two of your quad and tell us about your hardware and software settings. :)

Seniorgeek
12-05-2010, 01:50 AM
What camera are you using?

Honk
12-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Really nice looking landscape! And huge! Nice footage!

You should try getting up a little higher so more of that beautiful landscape shows. Also the place kinda looks ideal for FPV flying?

Scotth
12-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the comments.

It's high enough that I can't quite see it well, and I don't entirely trust it. That, and getting it back down is the hardest part. Right now, you can't tell how fast its descending, and if too fast, the quad starts oscillating in its rotor wash.

As for FPV, I am so used to flying aircraft from looking at them, that it is really hard to make the transition to goggles. I am practicing, but you have to fully trust the equipment. My wireless link is kinda flaky too. Might have to upgrade.

I am flying a Mega with 2.0 shield. Stock 2.01 software. 60cm rotor distance. Frame is made from Home Depot aluminum towel bars and plywood. Camera is a GoPro Hero HD.

chris1seto
12-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Hmm, might be good to have an auto-descend feature. Pilot can flick a switch and have the quad descend at a fixed rate (EG, 10FPM, 15FPM, 20FPM.....) When the quad detects that it is close to the ground, it starts decreasing the drop rate. Effectively, you have an autoland.

Honk
12-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Chris: It's included in the main code now. In the beta. Exactly what you described. Activated when battery gets low. With barometer it gets better, but works without too.
I did that coding out of experience. You might wanna trim the fixed rates I've put in.

Scott : Yes, I know what you mean about trusting the equipment... One wire or interference, and boom :) But it's so much more fun to fly FPV I think. I can do much more maneuverers when doing that.