PDA

View Full Version : Broom Stick Quad flight video

David Canfield
11-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi all!

I am new to this forum and new to Quad copters.

I have been flying helicopters and airplanes for about five years. I bought a Gaui quad two weeks ago but was not happy with the over all size and stability. I cam across this sight doing a Google search and happy that i did. It was nice to see that with a little money and a little inspiration you can build a better quad frame.

I built my frame with the 4-way pvc connector and broom handles. I used Grey pvc pipe clamps to mount the pvc weather proof top. I used a foot peddle from my no longer used jet catapult system for a battery mount. Each arm is 9 3/4 inches in length.

I am around 1200 grams with the included landing platform. I am starting to work with a photographer using a 90 size electric heli for Aerial video. He would like to do inside work so i think a bigger heavy lifting quad may be the answer.

I bought t-rex 600 booms and bigger motors and esc's for a larger size quad. I also plan on buying the electronics from the site.

Here is a link for the video i shot with my damaged go pro camera(chipped lens). Sorry i had the camera aimed too high, hard to judge with the camera on your head what is centered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYr0DlC31tw

Dave

RCvertt
11-15-2010, 03:41 AM
...I built my frame with the 4-way pvc connector and broom handles. I used Grey pvc pipe clamps to mount the pvc weather proof top. I used a foot peddle from my no longer used jet catapult system for a battery mount. Each arm is 9 3/4 inches in length...

Hi.
I like the parts list you used for your DIY frame! So that's the gaui controller in the video?

David Canfield
11-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Yes it is the gaui gyro unit. It seams to work, fly well. It is a nice unit for a plug and play quad.

I think my quad is a little on the heavy side. My next frame design will be bigger but yet lighter weight. I need to be able to lift a fairly heavy camera. I have ordered stronger motors and higher amp esc's.

With the current frame, I just took some info from this forum and headed to home depot and looked around for items that looked like they would work. The frame probably took two hours to build and was very stable from the first flight.