PDA

View Full Version : First Prototype AeroQuad Build

Lastmanstanding
11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I have nearly completed my first build with just a few finishing touches left. The quad seems to functions on the workbench like it should with all the reading in the Configurator checking out. A few small improvements are needed already with the next frame. The arduino board fits a bit too tight in the frame which may increase vibration on the sensors.

Some problems that I have come across is when I calibrated my ESC it would unbind my receiver. It also will not let me calibrate my sensors with my controller which I have to figure out before I fly. I also have trouble with the XBee modules. Have have tried both XBee and XBee pro but they will not communicate at 115200. It will link up but drop straight out and at 57600 it will connect but will dropout regularly. I do change the baud rate in the code to match the XBee module.

My Quad weighs 1.3Kg without batteries and uses Turnigy 2217 20turn 860kv 22A Outrunner running 12x3.8 props, TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller, Arduino Duemilanove with shield 1.7.

The ESC are within the housing which may have heat problems but I am using 30A ones which should be better with the heat.

itod
11-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Beautiful packing of all components in such a small box, I think I got inspiration to do something similar. Although, I don't understand your power distribution, are you planing to connect two batteries in parallel + 1 battery for Arduino = 3 batteries flying?

Lastmanstanding
11-03-2010, 01:14 PM
The battery compartment will hold two 2500mA batteries. This way I can make a lower profile housing and both batteries will help against voltage drops. A separate battery is used for the Arduino which is recommended but some are flying sucessfully on one battery.

ThiSel
11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Beautiful build.

The black material; is it 3D printed?

You may have problems when you have a crash. The turnigy motors cannot handle side impacts well and usually the shaft/bearing mount will give way.

Lastmanstanding
11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes it is 3D printed. If I need to change the motor at any stage I will just hop onto Solidworks and do some monor changes to suit.

I get a knocking noise comming from a motor when it is running as some poeple have noticed in their motors. I think this is because the motor has a bit of play in the shaft. I have a spare motor that has not play so I will change it over and see.